The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.

Go down 
+2
**GS**
Callum B
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. Empty
PostSubject: [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.   [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. Empty6/8/2012, 9:53 am

Hello,

it's a horrible 'summers' day here, my road has turned into a river and I'm stuck inside with nothing to do. A good excuse to write a HOW TO me thinks.......

The topic of how to pick up a scorpion properly comes up from time to time so I thought I would share my methods of capturing and moving my scorpions. I take a completely hands off approach with all my scorpions and have so far never had any incidents, stings, dropages etc. so either I'm just lucky or I'm doing something right.

The Tub Method.

This is my preferred choice when capturing a scorpion. It's easy, there's very little risk of being stung and most importantly there is no way the scorpion can be dropped and potentially injured.

Tools for this method are a cricket tub with a lid and a pair of tongs. I like using cricket tubs because they are transparent so you can always see where the scorpion is, they have a tight fitting lid, and they're rectangular/long meaning you can hold the top end of the tub whilst the bottom end is in the scorpions enclosure, keeping your fingers well away from the annoyed stingy thing your trying to catch.

Step 1: Find the scorpion. Carefully uncover your scorpion from where ever it is hiding using tongs to avoid being stung. Note how he was originally hiding upside down underneath the top piece of bark. Once he was disturbed he immediately began dashing around the bark and could have easily ended up stinging me if I had used my hands.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1325

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1326

Step 2: Once you have removed the hides and the scorpion is on the substrate place the tub in a corner flush with one side of the enclosure. These cricket tubs are great as they only have a small lip and are nice and square so they will stand up without me holding it.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1327

Step 3: Now it's time to guide the scorpion into the tub. The trick is to avoid moving the tub until the scorpion is in it and instead use the tongs to show it the way it needs to go. If you move the tub you'll find that the vibrations/movement will make the scorpion turn and flee away from it as it thinks the threats is coming from that direction now.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1328

Step 4: Once the scorpion has made it into the tub, carefully, but swiftly, tip the tub into an upright position. Woooop success.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1329

Step 5: Get the lid on. These tubs have a really solid fitting lid but if you are using something with a bit of a flimsy lid wrap an elastic band around it or use a bit of sticky tape to avoid the scorpion pushing the lid open and sneaking out.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1330

The scorpion is now safe and secure and your free to mess about with its enclosure, move it to a new one or whatever you were going to do with it.

Step 6: To release your scorpion, place the tub, with the lid on, into the enclosure. Carefully remove the lid and tip the tub so that the scorpion can make its way out. Freedom!!!

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1332

The Tweezer/Forceps/Tongs Method

This is another common way to capture a scorpion and involves using a long pair of forceps to pick up the scorpion by its metasoma (tail). I use a pair of 10'' forceps that are tipped with a draught strip type material. It's a little trickier than the tub method because once a scorpion becomes aware of your presence they'll try their hardest not to let you anywhere near their metasoma. Also, in my opinion, there is a slightly higher chance of an accident such as injuring your scorpion when using this method, although it can often be the only way you can capture a scorpion that is playing hard to get. This method should never be used on species with thin metasomas that have comparatively large, heavy bodies, such as Hadogenes spp., Iomachus spp. etc.

Step 1: Again, locate the scorpion by removing its hide using forceps.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1334

Step 2: Carefully, but quickly, attempt to grab the scorpion by its metasoma.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1335

Step 3: Grab the scorpion by the metasoma. I always aim for around the 2nd segment away from the mesosoma (body) so that less stress is put on the metasoma and the scorpion is also then less able to curl around and grab the forceps. Apply enough pressure to have a good grip of the scorpion.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1336

Step 4: Once you have a hold of the scorpion, quickly lift it and place it into a tub. If you can place the tub in the enclosure of the scorpion do so. If you drop it, you're then only back at step 2 instead of chasing it around the house. If this is not possible have the tub in a convenient place close to the enclosure.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1337

Step 5: Lid on, and follow steps 5 and 6 of the previous method.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1338

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1339

Moving young/very small scorpions

Many of my 2i scorplings are absolutely tiny so a lot of care has to be taken when moving them as it would be very easy to end up crushing one.

The method I use is basically the same as the tub method described above, with a few little differences.

Step 1: Locate the scorpion. In this case it's a little 2i Iomachus politus. Awwwww.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1343

Step 2: Place a small container into the scorpions enclosure (deli cup lol). Again, I like to use clear containers so that I can easily see what is going on.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1344

Step 3: Next, I use a small paintbrush to quide the little scorpion into the container. I have big shakey hands, so the soft brush avoids the risk of me crushing the scorpion.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1345

Step 4: Once the scorpion is in the container, gently tip it up right and put the lid on. Success again.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1347

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1348

Sexing your scorpion

This section is not about how to sex your scorpion but how to get it into a good postion to have a close look at it's pectines and/or genital operculum. I have also used this method to look at the trichobothria on a scorpions chelae for identification purposes.

Step 1: Use one of the first two methods above to get your scorpion into a transparent tub. Once the scorpion is into the tub, try and manoeuvre it so it sits in the middle of it.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1353

Step 2: Next, get a small soft towel that is loosely folded up and very gently place it on top of the scorpion. The scorpion should now be 'pinned' to the bottom of the tub and unable to move. Be careful here in case the scorpion has managed to move its metasoma round the side of the towel. This can happen if you do not apply equal pressure over the whole scorpion.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1354

Step 3: Once you are sure the scorpion is secure it is safe to lift the tub up, always keeping pressure on the towel so that the scorpion cannot move. You can now tip the tub upside down and get a good look at its underside.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1355

If you are wanting to take photos of the pectines, operculum etc. to 'blow up' on the computer or post on forums for a second opinion, you can also put the lid on the tub so that the scorpion is held in place, then you have both hands free to use a camera.

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. DSCN1357

I like this method as you're not holding a tub above your head trying to get a decent look at the scorpion, plus the scorpion is held in place so you can get a clear look/photo of the bits you need.

There's a few more bits I think I'm going to add but I'll leave it here for today.

If anyone has got any suggestions, please feel free to add them.

Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.   [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. Empty6/8/2012, 1:32 pm

This is truly one of the most practical and useful [How to] guide for fellow hobbyist.

Those are simply clear and straight forward steps and the sharp pictures are just the added bonus.

I'm sure many with be thankful for this.

Kudos to Callum! Very Happy

Last edited by GS on 6/8/2012, 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.   [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. Empty6/8/2012, 4:41 pm

Great [How To] guide, Callum!
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.   [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. Empty6/9/2012, 2:23 am

Thanks for taking the time to do a so well detailed and useful guide
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2014-03-18

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.   [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. Empty7/1/2014, 1:16 pm

Hey callum, what scorpion is the one on the Sexing your Scorpion segment.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.   [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. Empty7/1/2014, 1:38 pm

It's a female Heterometerus madraspatensis   Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
lazydonut
Hadogenes
lazydonut

Number of posts : 81
Registration date : 2014-03-18

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.   [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. Empty7/2/2014, 2:46 pm

Wow. Beautiful specimen.
Thanks for the quick reply!
Back to top Go down
Dave Dunn
Hadogenes
Dave Dunn

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.   [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. Empty2/3/2016, 5:39 am

Great tutorial Callum! Excellent tip on sexing. Apart from the methods you use,I also use various sized spoons to pick up scorpions. Once on a clean polished spoon larger than their leg-span they run on the spot until you tilt the spoon in their new enclosure,if you bend the spoon up you can get them out of tight spots without removing all the decor or tipping the enclosure over,which you often don't want to do if you've got a false bottom set-up,or you want to catch one scorp from a community. Good for picking up little ones too as you can dig out the little bit of substrate they are on and move them before they even know what's going on. Another thing I do to make me feel better is work with both containers in a large container or tub of some sort,then if I stuff up they cant escape far,I just have to catch them from the tub. Oh,and also you dont get told off for spilling substrate or putting sandy or dirty decor on the carpet Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.   [HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion. Empty

Back to top Go down

[HOW TO] Correctly handle a scorpion.
Page 1 of 1