The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Dammit!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Den
Babycurus

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Dammit!   5/25/2012, 10:36 am

Quite a while ago i wrote in another thread that i use a 400 watt HPS light to heat up my scorp room and it's been very effective with temps graduating from mid 30's out to mid 20's throughout a 3 meter cone from the epicenter of the light
These last few days we've had some terrific weather here where i live with daytime temps close to the 30's plus decent night time temps to and i've noticed my scorp room has become well warm during the day.
I though that the increased heat would benefit many of my scorps so i haven't considered opening the window to bring the temps down.
In another thread i've said that my gravid R.garridoi is usually out during the day basking in the heat from the lamp although to be fair i haven't seen her out these last 3 or 4 days .. and now i'm kicking myself violently for not being more observant! .. Today is the hottest day we've had so far so i made a point of filling up all water bowls as well as re-dampening the substrate for those scorps that like it as well as some of my desert species (just a corner).
I opened my gravid garridoi enclosure to give her a misting as well as refilling her water bowl and was greeted by the unmistakable smell of death...Dammit..she had died and i'm now thinking it was obviously because she got to warm. I hadn't made the connection that the reason she was in hiding these last few days was because it was TO hot.

Thankfully i have another sub adult female (strange, they both moulted to sub adult within a few days of each other but while one of them moulted to adult 2 months ago the other is still sub adult) so my plans of getting a garridoi colony going is still valid but oh how i'm so jacked off with myself for not considering my room temps could have been to high.

So, a warning to anyone who's also experiencing good weather now..Keep an eye on your daytime temps and don't make the same idiotic mistake i made.....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Dammit!   5/25/2012, 5:27 pm

That really sucks man. It's been surprisingly hot where I live too. (Upper 80's F.)
I had to turn off the heat in my room---Damon diadema don't do too well at high temps.

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Den
Babycurus

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Dammit!   5/26/2012, 1:32 pm

Yeah well i've learnt from the lesson and spent the day totally rearranging my scorp room. The HPS lamp has gone and been replaced by half a dozen heat mats strategically placed so that most all enclosures receive at least a portion of heat mat one of their sides.
The funny thing is though i used exactly the same setup with a HPS lamp when i last had a rake of scorpions and never once did i have any problems with to much heat and i'm sure there must have been a few well warm days back in those years.

I'm now actually wondering if she might have had a genetic condition that caused her death and the heat just speeded up the decomposition. She moulted from sub adult to adult after only 3 months. I was pleasantly surprised when she did this but i'm now wondering if that may have been a sign that something was amiss. My other sub adult female is still sub adult after 5 months and this seems more reasonable to me.

Still, whatever the cause, my scorp room has had a total overhaul and i'm pleased with the new arrangement. Suddenly i have loads more room for more scorpions Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Dammit!   5/26/2012, 1:40 pm

Den wrote:
Still, whatever the cause, my scorp room has had a total overhaul and i'm pleased with the new arrangement. Suddenly i have loads more room for more scorpions Wink
Laughing Well that's always a good thing.

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dammit!   

Back to top Go down

Dammit!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpions In General-
Jump to: