The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Mycosis???

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

Number of posts : 589
Registration date : 2011-07-18

Mycosis??? Empty
PostSubject: Mycosis???   Mycosis??? Empty5/17/2012, 8:13 pm

I got this guy back in March (AA lybicus morph) and I noticed he may have had some mycosis on his third foot on the left side. Last night I was taking some photo's and saw some very disturbing.
1. This first pic shows what I saw:
Mycosis??? Seth_m10
Mycosis??? Seth_m11

Is there anything that can be done? The tank is very dry. Daytime humidity is less than 20%, nighttime less than 40%.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Mycosis??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis???   Mycosis??? Empty5/17/2012, 9:49 pm

Hey bro,

Sorry to hear this.

Did you check it during march when it first arrived under your care?
Myocsis spreads at different rates, depending on the humidity and water contact that such mycosis-prone desert specimens are exposed to. I'm thinking, there could be a chance that he has gotten it before it was in your care but it's just not easily visible at the initial stage.

Sometimes, the humidity is ideal but other things such as contact with water might trigger the spreading of mycosis.
E.g. accidental misting that got onto the specimen or placement of a water dish which is right at the corner of the tank. E.g when the desert scorpion do their occasional "wall-climbing" right on top of a water dish.. is it just not right. Hence, when placing the water dish (regardless if the water level within is shallow) i'll advise to leave at least a 5cm walking boundary away from the walls of the tank.

Is it an adult? If he is due for more molts, a successful molt would most likely help to "repair" the desert scorpion from mycosis but the missing parts of the scorpion legs which has been destroyed by mycosis will not grow back.
If the conditions are keep dry, the mycosis may not spread that quickly, so long as it does not reach the book lungs, penetrating and destroying their respiration system.

The humidity is fine from what you have stated. How is the air-ventilation of the tank? e.g. a secure mesh lid?
How are you offering water to him since he has arrived?
Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

Mycosis??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis???   Mycosis??? Empty5/17/2012, 10:10 pm

Thanks GS, I've only put water in a shallow water dish with rocks in it once and they all drank, but that was only 2wks ago. I hadn't put any water in the tank other than misting the wall. I had noticed the spot on the 3rd foot right at first, but I think the other foot was buried in the sand, so I couldn't see it. I caught him walking across the cork and saw the other foot. I got him in March. He is a 6i judging by his size compared to my 5i male and 6i female. I think he is about to molt soon. It's good to know that if he molts it could help his condition. None of my other scorps in this tank have any signs of mycosis, they have been in this tank for their entire life. I'm thankful for that!!!

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Mycosis??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis???   Mycosis??? Empty5/17/2012, 10:31 pm

Young specimens may benefit more from occasional misting (as they need slightly more moisture during their growth cycle and the fact that their molting interval is nearer to each other) but i'll advise against wall misting for Androctonus spp starting from about 5.instar onwards.

Especially so for A.australis and A.amoreuxi which are the greater mycosis-prone specimens.
They'll do just fine being offered a shallow capful of water once every 2 weeks or so, this is feasible for you as you are using a large tank with good ventilation, the capful of water will not bump up humidity like misting and will not risk having any mist getting unto the specimens.
My 2cents.

Hope he'll molt soon for you bro Smile
Back to top Go down
tfleming
Tityus
tfleming

Mycosis??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis???   Mycosis??? Empty5/18/2012, 12:17 am

Thanks again GS, I'll certainly take your lead. I'll continue with the small cap every few weeks. I have a 5i male and female, another 6i male and female and the 7i female.

Thanks again!!!
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Mycosis??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis???   Mycosis??? Empty5/18/2012, 2:15 am

GS wrote:
i'll advise against wall misting for Androctonus spp starting from about 5.instar onwards.

That's a great tip bro, specially as I've been misting my A.b's aswell. They're in deli's but I think a bottle cap will fit there without any problems.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Mycosis??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis???   Mycosis??? Empty5/18/2012, 3:44 am

DolbyR wrote:
That's a great tip bro, specially as I've been misting my A.b's aswell. They're in deli's but I think a bottle cap will fit there without any problems.

No prob bro Smile
However if you're using a deli, offer a shallow drinking water will do and if you do not have a secure mesh lid for the deli that allows good ventilation, its good to remove the capful after your A.bicolor has it's drink. If the water level is very shallow as in... 3mm of water level in a bottle cap, (good for a drink and yet not too much that it might get topple over) it should be fine to leave it inside till the next water top-up.

Sample:

Mycosis??? Androctonus_bicolor_260412_by_GS_pic2

Mycosis??? Androctonus_bicolor_260412_by_GS_pic3

The above is good for 5.instar and above specimens. For 2.instar to 4.instar, a light mist would suffice.
Mesh lid ventilation is recommended:)

Sample on how much misting to be done:

Sample of mesh lids:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mycosis??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis???   Mycosis??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Mycosis???
Page 1 of 1