The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

C. Hentzi - How communal is communal?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wookie
Pandinus
wookie

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-12-19

C. Hentzi - How communal is communal? Empty
PostSubject: C. Hentzi - How communal is communal?   C. Hentzi - How communal is communal? Empty4/26/2012, 11:16 am

Ok, I have a female hentzi that may or may not be gravid, I don't know. Just recently found a male for here. Question.... I put the female in first for 24 hrs, then added the male along with a ton of hides. Will there be hostilities since they are both in a new territory or will they get along? I'd like to try to breed them if possible.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

C. Hentzi - How communal is communal? Empty
PostSubject: Re: C. Hentzi - How communal is communal?   C. Hentzi - How communal is communal? Empty4/26/2012, 2:13 pm

Didn't you already hear the "chanting"..

"they're all communal until they're NOT" Smile

Yes, some scorpion species do tolerate communal living more than the others but there will always be exceptions even among identical specimens.

If both of them are sexually matured (adults), the male should almost immediately engage the female into a mating dance, enticing her to accept his spermatophore.

However, if at this point, the female is already gravid, she will show reluctance to the male advances and may exhibit hostility, especially when she's nearing giving birth to a brood.

I'll say go ahead and put them together. Keep an eye on them during their first interaction and it'll be pretty straightforward from there .. either to separate or house them communally Smile
Back to top Go down

C. Hentzi - How communal is communal?
Page 1 of 1