The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?

Go down 
+2
**GS**
andy4c
6 posters
AuthorMessage
andy4c
Pandinus
andy4c

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-03-15

First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty
PostSubject: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty4/22/2012, 6:54 pm

I'm going to Arizona, in the Mesa area, at the end of May 2012 and will only be there a few days.

I have a couple of UV flashlights, and some containers. Can anybody fast-track me on where to go that I'd likely find scorpions, especially where I could keep a couple to bring back to Wisconsin? I have relatives down there, but none of those weird folk have any idea how to find scorpions on purpose. Razz

I hope to have 2 or 3 afternoons and/or evenings to go searching, and right now I only know the national and state parks, which I'm sure are off limits for keeping my catch.

If I really get into hunting, I might set up a light and sheet at night to see what comes. I saw a cool video on youtube about that. Smile [Edit: Oh, here is a link. https://youtu.be/Mc64nm9tlYk Very cool video. A good time was had by all. lol]

I'm also interested in sun spiders, though I don't expect to be able to catch one. haha

I'm hoping there's somebody here that can tell me how to find some hunting area, and maybe if May is a good time to be finding scorpions anyway.

Thanks.

Last edited by andy4c on 4/27/2012, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty4/24/2012, 1:53 am

Hi Andy,

I'm not from AZ so i can't advice on exact locations but i can't help feeling excited for you!

I hope any of peeps here with exact location info can chip in for you soon.

Sun spiders are really interesting species.. especially to watch them kill and feed.

Btw, about that hunting vid you saw on youtube, i'm curious if you have the link?

Link it up here when you're avail. I'm interested to see it too Smile

Back to top Go down
andy4c
Pandinus
andy4c

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty4/24/2012, 6:52 pm

Hi, GS.

The video is
"Blacklighting in Box Canyon"
https://youtu.be/Mc64nm9tlYk

I got interested in solifugids when my niece mentioned catching one that was terrifying a cabin full of women in Nevada. Quite fascinating little monsters. Smile
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty4/24/2012, 9:35 pm

Thanks for the vid link bro.
Not sure why i can't view it from my workplace though, will try again at home later Smile

andy4c wrote:
I got interested in solifugids when my niece mentioned catching one that was terrifying a cabin full of women in Nevada. Quite fascinating little monsters. Smile

lolz.. that's a reason too Smile
It just take something to attract our attention on something and that's it.
Quite a challenge to keep them alive for a long period in captivity though. Hence, it's sensible to catch one for yourself instead of buying one.. lolz

Btw, any peeps with herping info for Andy?
Don't be shy to contribute Smile
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty4/25/2012, 9:54 am

Hi Andy Wink I'm here in Europe so i can't really give you any coordinates but i thought i'd wish you luck anyway .. Just having the chance to get out searching for scorpions must be thrilling..
I had a quick look online to see if i could find any old forum posts that asked the same question but unfortunately it seems plenty of people are asking but no one is really answering although from what i read it certainly sound as if you're heading to a scorpion hot zone (mesa) so fingers crossed it won't be to hard for you to find a few.

Let us know how it turned out Wink .. Incidently, maybe you could try and phone some local pest control firms and ask them what areas seem to produce the most scorpions, or where they have the greatest problem with scorpions .. you might get lucky and someone steers you right onto them.

Good luck mate

Back to top Go down
beene38
Centruroides
beene38

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-09-04

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty4/26/2012, 8:33 am

Im originally from AZ, from Mesa off Crismon and Southern. A good area to start inside of city is a place called Park of Canals just off Horne between McKellips and Brown if I remember right. Now because its a state park i really dont know if your allowed to keep them or not i dont know. Its a good place to start and get the hang of it. My favorite place though is up toward the Salt River headed towards Canyon Lake, lots of desert out there
always would find dozens of scorps everytime. A few other suggestions outside of Mesa but still in PHX area are Superstition Mts(very easy to find) and Peralta Trails just outside Apache Junction. Living in AZ most my life is what got me into collecting scorps Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
andy4c
Pandinus
andy4c

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty4/27/2012, 11:13 am

Den wrote:

... maybe you could try and phone some local pest control firms and ask them what areas seem to produce the most scorpions...

That sounds like a good idea, Den.
My sister (in Arizona) was sweet enough the other day to ask on her Facebook if any of her friends in the area were having scorpion problems. Same kind of good thinking. Idea
Back to top Go down
andy4c
Pandinus
andy4c

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty4/27/2012, 11:39 am

What a guy, beene38. Thanks. First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? 129887
I'm taking notes for my plans.

Even a state park would be a good place to practice like you said.

It's also occurred to me maybe I could get more nieces to accompany me if I told them we're making a video. A place where we're just 'looking' would be a good spot! And I'm guessing if it's wrong to collect there, the population would be higher, therefore a higher likelihood of spotting some.

A question for you. How does late May compare with other times of the year for finding scorpions? And for other arachnids and insects?
Back to top Go down
beene38
Centruroides
beene38

Number of posts : 110
Registration date : 2011-09-04

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty4/27/2012, 7:46 pm

here I thought you might like this pic everything except the two Vinagaroons were caught within the PHX area made this at 11
First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Imag0617

April and may are prolly some of the best times to catch scorps in my opinion the weather is nice and the spring rains in March and April cause an explosion in the insect population which naturally gives the scorps an abuntant food supply for next few months. you never know you might even catch a few gravid females which will definetly make the trip worth it.
Check this thread tommorrow and I will give better details on those locations and couple other helpful tips
Back to top Go down
andy4c
Pandinus
andy4c

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty5/15/2012, 1:02 am

In about a week I'll be in Arizona or on my way, and trying to find some scorpions. And any vinegaroons, sun spiders, or other fun critters I come across. Smile
Even those centipedes seem to be giant compared to Wisconsin's.

I got some 4 dram vials to collect insects to possibly mount. I also have some plastic food containers for bigger things. And If I want to keep something alive, I have some shoe-box size storage totes.

I'm going to be kind of winging it, though. With no specific sites to go to, who knows, I might find the most interesting things in Colorado. Whatever I get to see will be good.

I can spend hours in my back yard sweeping the grass and trees with a dollar store net and looking at the insects and spiders I catch. (I think I actually caught one of those tiny parasitoid wasps. Looked like it, anyway. I was just having fun.)
Back to top Go down
mandelich
Pandinus
mandelich

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-05-16

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty5/16/2012, 4:05 pm

I live in Tempe. I often hike South Mountain. There's a golf course there and they like to hang out near by that. I have found bark, striped tail and desert hairys. Never leave disappointed. Just keep your ankles wrapped up there are many species of snakes up there. I have been lucky and never seen any but still need to warn ya about it. Good luck on your hunt!!
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty5/17/2012, 4:00 am

mandelich wrote:
Just keep your ankles wrapped up there are many species of snakes up there. I have been lucky and never seen any but still need to warn ya about it. Good luck on your hunt!!
A good point to take note of, thanks for the helpful post Smile
Back to top Go down
andy4c
Pandinus
andy4c

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty5/22/2012, 1:00 pm

mandelich wrote:
I live in Tempe. I often hike South Mountain. There's a golf course there and they like to hang out near by that. I have found bark, striped tail and desert hairys. Never leave disappointed. Just keep your ankles wrapped up there are many species of snakes up there. I have been lucky and never seen any but still need to warn ya about it. Good luck on your hunt!!

Thanks!

Today I'm leaving Denver. Camped overnight and got to see a darkling beetle.
I was at Butterfly Pavillion yesterday and saw captive scorpions, tarantulas, hunstman spider, stag beetles, locust, etc. Very cool place! Oh yeah, they have a large tropical butterfly environment with all kinds of butterflies and plants.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty5/23/2012, 6:03 am

Very cool Andy Smile

If it's convenient to you, do post some pics up at the end of your trip.

I'll be the first in queue to see it.. lolz
Back to top Go down
andy4c
Pandinus
andy4c

PostSubject: I got some.   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty6/9/2012, 1:46 am

Well despite unwanted travel issues, I did get a chance to shine the old UV at an Arizona rest area and found two bark scorpions. They are about the length of my little finger if they stretched out.

I don't know yet if they are adult, or exactly what species they are. But I put them in a Kritter Keeper with some aquarium gravel for now and they are doing well. I have some pictures at my post on Dailybooth.

The fella who commented at Dailybooth is enough entertainment to make the link worth it. Rolling Eyes Have to wonder if he's for real or what...
Back to top Go down
05kas05
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2012-04-18

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty6/9/2012, 2:11 am

cool scorpion tank i liked the fact you used that skull in the setup, and yes his comments where rather immature but what can you do.
Back to top Go down
mandelich
Pandinus
mandelich

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-05-16

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty6/12/2012, 8:57 pm

Well from the picture you posted it looks like you have yourself a female Centruroides sculpturatus. They don't get big at all. I keep mine in a kritter keeper and they do well living in groups. I have soil substrate, a thin water bowl and I bought a piece of bark from the reptile store and they are just livin the dream, lol.
Back to top Go down
andy4c
Pandinus
andy4c

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty6/14/2012, 4:55 pm

I don't yet understand how to put photos in forum posts, but for now I have this photo of one of the scorpion's tidbits on dailybooth.

I have a few photos I could put up when I get it all together here. Photos to help get the species and sex verified and to show off the cage. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
andy4c
Pandinus
andy4c

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty6/14/2012, 5:01 pm

mandelich wrote:
Well from the picture you posted it looks like you have yourself a female Centruroides sculpturatus. They don't get big at all. I keep mine in a kritter keeper and they do well living in groups. .

That certainly fits with the situation. I have two of them and they get along just fine.

I've been having fun watching them walk or run around, and lurch after the insects I put in there for food. Haven't seen them feed yet, but the bugs disappear. oO

I have aquarium gravel right now. I started with the little bit of genuine Arizona sand and gravel. lol. But it got moldy from me over-watering on the ride home.

I think I might need to rethink this skull idea. If they moult in there, I'll never get to see the leftover exoskeleton.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?   First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice? Empty

Back to top Go down

First Scorpion Hunt this May. Any advice?
Page 1 of 1