The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Bark and semi bark scorpion questions!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bornholm
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-02

Bark and semi bark scorpion questions! Empty
PostSubject: Bark and semi bark scorpion questions!   Bark and semi bark scorpion questions! Empty4/17/2012, 7:52 pm

Hi, just got a few questions Smile

Do any of you have any experience of holding these scorpions communal:

Centruroides balsasensis
Centruroides elegans
Centruroides bicolor
Centruroides meisei

Rhopalurus princeps
Rhopalurus garridoi
Rhopalurus junceus
Rhopalurus crassicauda

Tityus bahiensis
Tityus equadoriensis
Tityus trivitattus
Tityus confluens
Tityus tamayoi
Tityus asthenes
Tityus bastosi
Tityus ocelote

Uroplectes otjimbinguensis
Uroplectes flavoviridis

Can you have them together in any size or that I had to move scorplings from the adults, or i only can have them together during mating?

Also the temperature for the scorpions?
Just add the marking after the name of the scorpions
*20-25 °C
**25-27 °C
***27-30 °C
****30-35 °C

The best humidty for the scorpions?
Just add the marking after the name of the scorpions

Small showers:
¤Once a week
¤¤Twice a week
¤¤¤Three times a week

Extra humidty before or/and after molting?
Lower tempertures some weeks?
Dry weeks?
Needs softer food like crikets?
Any others sugestions?

I hope this will make it easy for you to answer the questions for my future projekts

Best regards
Jocke
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Bark and semi bark scorpion questions!   Bark and semi bark scorpion questions! Empty4/18/2012, 7:55 am

There's a general acceptance that many scorpions can be kept communally until they can't .. This means that some people might experience they have no problems with, lets say C. bicolor being kept together while others may experience cannibalism amongst their scorpions...The size of the enclosure and amount of potential hiding areas coupled with available prey items all contribute to whether scorpions will leave each other alone....Other factors such as environment and stress could probably also have a role to play.

Many species prey on other scorpions .. especially arid species where available prey items could be hard to find. Also, as in many other species of inverts, scorpions are particularly vulnerable when moulting and for a few days after moult when their exoskeleton is still soft. A scorpion in this state of it's development will be an easy meal for many other scorpions.
Therefore most scorpion keepers will always separate young animals regardless of whether or not that particular species is considered communal.

On the other hand there are quite a few species that will tolerate each other when they first become adult although, as i stated earlier, certain conditions must be met for this to be successful.

Hottentotta species for example (yes, i know they are not on your list) are quite often housed together as adults while other species (androctonus for example) might only be kept together in pairs (male/female) and even then most breeders would remove the male shortly before the female gave birth.

Of the species on your list i'm only really experienced with Rhopalurus garridoi, princeps and junceus. I have heard that junceus can be quite cannibalistic although to be fair i haven't experienced this in my own scorpions .. I also house garridoi and princeps together but again.....only as adults......I wouldn't house any young scorpions together regardless of species but that's just me...maybe there are other keepers who do it differently.

The remaining part of your question regarding temp and humidity is to nuanced to be able to give you a 100% answer.....Basically you want to reproduce the environment that the scorpion comes from..although even dry areas sometimes experience rainfall and hot areas can also experience cold periods...For most scorpions i would say that temps between 25 and 35 degrees are going to be either spot on or at worst, acceptable.
Scorpions have the ability to regulate their body temperature within certain parameters so to say for example that R.garridoi (that comes from Cuba) must have a temp of 27 to 30 degrees coupled with a low to medium humidity (garridoi is found in coastal desert regions) would be incorrect. Fluctuations and variations will be more the norm with seasonal changes also present.....This simple fact is applicable for many species.

With regards to humidity though most keepers will try to increase the humidity slightly when a gravid scorpion is approaching her time as well as when young instar scorpions are in pre moult. The increased humidity helps scorpions get out of their old exoskeleton although again the level of increased humidity will be slight...Many arid species for example are at risk from mycosis if their environment is to humid for to long a period.

Lastly...it's good that you ask these questions although i feel many of the answers you are looking for can be found by simply typing the species in google and adding "care" or "caresheet" at the end ... or ... reading through past entries on this forum as well as other forums such as The Venom List and Arachnoboards..

Back to top Go down
bornholm
Pandinus

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Bark and semi bark scorpion questions!   Bark and semi bark scorpion questions! Empty4/18/2012, 12:33 pm

Hi Den
Thank you for your response!

Den wrote:

There's a general acceptance that many scorpions can be kept communally until they can't .. This means that some people might experience they have no problems with, lets say C. bicolor being kept together while others may experience cannibalism amongst their scorpions...The size of the enclosure and amount of potential hiding areas coupled with available prey items all contribute to whether scorpions will leave each other alone....Other factors such as environment and stress could probably also have a role to play

Den wrote:
On the other hand there are quite a few species that will tolerate each other when they first become adult although

That is a big reason why i ask, I want to hear others' experience so I can have them in mind so I can avoid accidents.

Den wrote:

Of the species on your list i'm only really experienced with Rhopalurus garridoi, princeps and junceus. I have heard that junceus can be quite cannibalistic although to be fair i haven't experienced this in my own scorpions .. I also house garridoi and princeps together but again.....only as adults......I wouldn't house any young scorpions together regardless of species but that's just me...maybe there are other keepers who do it differently.

Den wrote:
With regards to humidity though most keepers will try to increase the humidity slightly when a gravid scorpion is approaching her time as well as when young instar scorpions are in pre moult. The increased humidity helps scorpions get out of their old exoskeleton although again the level of increased humidity will be slight...Many arid species for example are at risk from mycosis if their environment is to humid for to long a period.

This is exactly the answer I wanted Smile

Den wrote:
The remaining part of your question regarding temp and humidity is to nuanced to be able to give you a 100% answer.....Basically you want to reproduce the environment that the scorpion comes from..although even dry areas sometimes experience rainfall and hot areas can also experience cold periods...For most scorpions i would say that temps between 25 and 35 degrees are going to be either spot on or at worst, acceptable.
Scorpions have the ability to regulate their body temperature within certain parameters so to say for example that R.garridoi (that comes from Cuba) must have a temp of 27 to 30 degrees coupled with a low to medium humidity (garridoi is found in coastal desert regions) would be incorrect. Fluctuations and variations will be more the norm with seasonal changes also present.....This simple fact is applicable for many species.

I came to later that my post was perhaps a little overkill, I want to ask what most others did so I could work around their experiences.
I want to hear people experiences instead of reading the wrong care advice.
I'd rather read what people on the webs only officia all- scorpion forum have to say then googleit.com

Thank you again Den
Best regards
//Jocke
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Bark and semi bark scorpion questions!   Bark and semi bark scorpion questions! Empty4/18/2012, 2:31 pm

Quote :
That is a big reason why i ask, I want to hear others' experience so I can have them in mind so I can avoid accidents.

If in doubt play it safe .. Don't house young scorplings together and if adult stick to male/female combinations or simply only place a male and female together when you want to mate them .. removing the male after the act.
If you stick to that regime you shouldn't make to many mistakes Wink

Quote :
I'd rather read what people on the webs only officia all- scorpion forum have to say then googleit.com

That is of course your prerogative although by doing that you are restricting your possibilities of obtaining nuanced knowledge. All sources are surely valid in that quest.
Not that everything you can find will be correct but as long as you remain critical and compare various sources then it will at least give you an idea of the direction you should be heading in.
If you found 4 passages on 4 different sites that tell you to keep temps and humidity within a certain range for any given scorpion and only 1 that veered away from the other 4 then common sense could tell you that the 4 were probably right.

I've just done a quick search on this forum and found a few threads relating to communal species..check them out.

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t5882-number-of-scorps-in-communal-and-non-communal-tanks-by-size?highlight=communal+species

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t4963-communal-species?highlight=communal+species

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t2988-communal-scorps?highlight=communal+species

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t2684-recommended-communal-desert-species?highlight=communal+species

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t308-will-communal-scorpions-cannibalize-each-other-after-moults?highlight=communal+species

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t144-good-beginner-communal?highlight=communal+species

Incidently, as well as the other scorpions i mentioned earlier that can usually be kept communally i should add that i keep Centruroides margaritatus communally as well as Babycurus jacksoni.

Quote :
I came to later that my post was perhaps a little overkill

The lack of response from other keepers that frequently post here could maybe suggest that you may be right Wink

Lastly....temps and humidity are not that clear cut....basically all scorps like to be warm and with regards to humidity you'll differentiate between total arid, arid, semi arid and humid....with total arid being kept dry, obtaining their fluid from prey, arid species being kept dry with an occasional light misting once a fortnight or so, semi arid being kept with a damp area in their enclosure (anything from one corner to half the floor space of the enclosure) and a water bowl and humid species being kept on damp substrate that preferably isn't allowed to dry out and again with a water bowl and regular misting.......Match any scorpions you're thinking of getting with one of those environmental parameters and you won't go far wrong...Wink

Quote :
Thank you for your response!

You're welcome Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bark and semi bark scorpion questions!   Bark and semi bark scorpion questions! Empty

Back to top Go down

Bark and semi bark scorpion questions!
Page 1 of 1