The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

silicone?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
jmziesk
Pandinus

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: silicone?   2/19/2012, 10:16 pm

im currently converting a 55 gallon fish tank into a viv for some spinifers. short of the long is i used regular silocone to adhere moss to the back for a drip wall. is it safe or do i need to remove it all and start over with the type made for aquariums?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
boverton
Pandinus

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: silicone?   2/20/2012, 12:18 am

in personal past experiences using silicone in terrariums and reptile inclosures of many sorts including (1. siliconed plasic wall plants for snake inclosures) (2. Silicon bead'd internal turtle tank filters where the turtle was swiming in the same water the silicone was in) (3. siliconed rocks in cichlid tanks) (4. siliconing moss to a rock or two and various places in an amphibiam terrerium) so if snakes, turtles, fish, amphibians sutch as frogs, toads, and salamanders can all do well id say its not going to hurt just make sure its compleatly dry before you introduce anything 48 hours to be safe !
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Den
Babycurus

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: silicone?   2/20/2012, 5:00 am

Quote :
do i need to remove it all and start over with the type made for aquariums?

The main difference between standard silicon and aquarium silicon is that aquarium silicon has an added fungal agent to stop or greatly diminish fungal growth...Their sticking and waterproof qualities are the same.

So if the silicon is hidden behind moss and you're not worried about it getting a bit green with time then there's really no need to redo your work.......Your call..Wink

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jmziesk
Pandinus

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2011-07-22

PostSubject: Re: silicone?   3/2/2012, 1:50 am

ok, finished wall up. just for record... normal silicone has moldicide in it, aqurium does not have same "toxic" moldicide or none at all. figured scorps aren't swimming in it so it should be fine. im doing this from phone so i will post pics when i can.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: silicone?   

Back to top Go down

silicone?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1