The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

bothriurus cf dumayi

Go down 
+3
Callum B
**GS**
shanos
7 posters
AuthorMessage
shanos
Babycurus
shanos

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2011-03-09

bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty
PostSubject: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/15/2012, 12:09 pm

hi guys was wondering if any of u have a caresheet for this species or have any of u keept them thanks guy
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/15/2012, 7:24 pm

Hi Shanos,

I do not have have these beautiful specimens but i would just keep them like typical desert scorpions.
Anyhow.. i ran a search for you as well, not sure if you had came across these:

http://www.skorpione.de/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11346

http://www.reptilien-lexikon.de/index.php?id=212

Regards,
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/15/2012, 8:28 pm

Oooo I've got some of these arriving tomorrow Smile

They're another difficult to keep Chilean species by the sounds of things. I say difficult because no one knows anything about them. I'm sure as more info is obtained about them then the more people will have success.

I have spent hours hunting info and papers about climate, habitat etc etc of these guys. They are from the Atacama Desert but they do not live in 100% arid conditions. I can't remember what the name was for them but they are found on hills that hold some humidity from the fogs that are common there. The German forum you linked GS has some good info. It's by far the best care sheet I have seen for them. I wish I'd found it earlier lol.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/16/2012, 5:59 am

Here are the obligatory pictures of my new arrivals. They are stunning. Really nice markings and colouration.

This is the larger of the two, and measures approx. 6cm.

bothriurus  cf dumayi  DSCN0777

bothriurus  cf dumayi  DSCN0775

And the smaller, at around 4cm.

bothriurus  cf dumayi  DSCN0778

bothriurus  cf dumayi  DSCN0779

Fingers crossed that I'll do something right and they survive for a decent amount of time.

Shanos, are you going to get any??
Back to top Go down
shanos
Babycurus
shanos

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/16/2012, 7:41 am

yeah i think these are the next ones on my hit list there really awesome looking man dude
Back to top Go down
shanos
Babycurus
shanos

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/16/2012, 7:42 am

thanks gs for the info no one seems to have had any experince with them lol
Back to top Go down
shanos
Babycurus
shanos

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/16/2012, 8:03 am

so sand and ex clay mix for substrate then llol
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/16/2012, 8:29 am

Maybe they like it just like Scorpio maurus palmatus?

and Callum,
Very nice pictures you have posted. Those daylight shots are so refreshing and clear, especially pic #1.
& that exotic scorpion with camo on it's face... gorgeous!

Are they wild-caught or captive breed by your dealer?
Do document them well if you can, be the first to write a detailed ASA on them Wink
Wish you lucking in breeding them!

Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/16/2012, 8:39 am

shanos wrote:
yeah i think these are the next ones on my hit list there really awesome looking man dude

Sweet Very Happy

Sand and excavator plus abit of coconut fibre to hold some moisture is what I am trying.

I just don't know GS. I think S. maurus have a wet (relatively speaking) and dry season, whereas where these guys are from it never rains but they do have moisture from fog that is captured by coastal hills at a certain height. B. dumayi have a wide range but are only found in the places where this hill fog collects. Kind of on hill islands in the middle of a desert sea lol.

Exactly how moist these hills are though, I don't know as there is bugger all info. on them, plus I can't remember the proper term for them lol. I guess it's going to be trial and error on how moist to keep them. Hopefully with no error lol.

Oh and cheers for the compliments GS Embarassed
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/16/2012, 9:12 am

Good thinking, always try to replicate their natural environment since you know the detailed location they are from.

Safest bet might still be keeping them on the drier side but with a small capful of water in a corner which you'll fill once every 1-2 weeks, occasionally allow the water to overflow a little..

Along with unrestricted ventilation and your natural looking setup.. shouldn't be a prob i would say.. shouldn't be a prob at all Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/16/2012, 10:10 am

+1

If they're from the Atacama desert, I would just keep them as a Chile rose. Bone dry substrate, cup of water and good ventilation, like GS suggested.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/16/2012, 10:50 am

It's a difficult one lol. I have read a few reports of them being kept quite humid and the scorpions died pretty quickly but the German caresheet GS posted states they need some moisture and the tiny bit of info in this paper states ''Most localities of B. dumayi have been reported as belonging to the plant formation known as ‘‘lomas’’. These are patches of vegetal communities situated from 0 to 1100m, which receive more humidity than the surrounding desert thanks to the interception of fog (‘‘camanchacas’’) originated in the ocean
(Rundel et al., 1991).'' http://research.amnh.org/users/lorenzo/PDF/Mattoni.2006.SNeo.Bothriurus.pdf

Lomas!! That's the name of those hills lol!!!

I just want to know how much humidity these hills receive but google is failing me. Would there be moisture trapped under rocks, just under the soil etc. or does it only form as dew on the surface when the fog rolls in? I'm getting frustrated now lol.

Thankyou for your input though guys. For now I think I will try a small bottle cap and a very light misting once or twice a week. Mid to high 20c's during the day and no heat at night. What do you reckon?
Back to top Go down
shanos
Babycurus
shanos

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/17/2012, 8:07 am

its a hard one mate init id prod do as that german guy did put a small bottle cap of water in every three to four days and mist couple times a week if u think about it theregonna get moist if they live around the vegitation cos there will be a dew every morning as for temp its says high 20cs to 30cs and room temps at night but as u say callum its gonna be trial and error
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/20/2012, 6:22 am

Sweet new additions Callum, I've been eyeing these up for a while Very Happy

Love their markings. I've been put off by the same thing though, none of my Chile scorps seem to survive very long, I wish you luck!
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Bufo Bill
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/20/2012, 5:29 pm

I had a similar scorpion known as Bothriurus "Large Claw", which I had for three years. the tank was sand and coir bedding ontop of a drainage layer of gravel. The substrate was allowed to dry periodically before one section was wetted with about 10 ml water. I don't really think this is the best way of doing things, because my specimen would eat only very rarely. Just thought I'd put the info on the record.

All the best from Bill. Very Happy
Edit: Temp was 25-30 C summer (cooler at night) and 20-25 C winter (again, cooler night temp)
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/20/2012, 6:19 pm

Cheers man.

3 years is very good going compared to most. It seems a small amount of moisture may be beneficial.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/21/2012, 4:18 am

I think Chilean arachnids usually eat periodically due to the changes of climate/food availability in the region. It is up to us to try and replicate these changes to give them an idea when it is the "right" season for eating.
Back to top Go down
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/21/2012, 4:15 pm

Beautiful scorpions Smile
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/21/2012, 9:50 pm

DolbyR wrote:
I think Chilean arachnids usually eat periodically due to the changes of climate/food availability in the region. It is up to us to try and replicate these changes to give them an idea when it is the "right" season for eating.
+1
Thats right. Captive breeding is all about providing the most naturalistic environment (whenever possible) from the critter's origin.

Again, these are truly gorgeous specimens to own seriously Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/22/2012, 5:52 am

GS wrote:
Captive breeding is all about providing the most naturalistic environment (whenever possible) from the critter's origin.

Exactly! That's the biggest challenge too, specially with species originating from location below the equatorial line. The seasons are reversed and the scorpions often lose a sense of the real season of the year, leading to feeding problems.

Quote from Stan Shultz's book:

GS wrote:
Again, these are truly gorgeous specimens to own seriously

+1 Smile

Last edited by DolbyR on 2/22/2012, 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/22/2012, 1:13 pm

Cheers for that extract Dolby Very Happy . Does the author go on to describe the climate of the Atacama any further??
Back to top Go down
Bufo Bill
Pandinus

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/22/2012, 2:11 pm

To clarify my previous post: these are the same species as the Bothriurus sp. "Large Claw", which I gave my culturing info for.

All the best from Bill. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty2/23/2012, 3:45 am

Callum B wrote:
Cheers for that extract Dolby Very Happy . Does the author go on to describe the climate of the Atacama any further??

Further text on Atacama climate:

I don't know if there is something more in the book (Tarantula keeper's guide) as I don't own it.

This might be a help too if you haven't seen it yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bothriurus cf dumayi    bothriurus  cf dumayi  Empty

Back to top Go down

bothriurus cf dumayi
Page 1 of 1