The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My Opistophthlamus karooensis

Go down 
+3
Annababe
Jay
shadowfoot
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty
PostSubject: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/18/2012, 1:22 pm

Hey everyone
I'm new to this forum, just wanted to share some pics of my pair of Opistophthlamus karooensis. Pics were taken in a different container.
Hope you enjoy Very Happy

Female:
My Opistophthlamus karooensis DSCF0826
My Opistophthlamus karooensis DSCF0831

Male:
My Opistophthlamus karooensis DSCF0833
My Opistophthlamus karooensis DSCF0832

Enclosure:
My Opistophthlamus karooensis DSCF0845
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/18/2012, 1:54 pm

welcome Nice scorps you got there, not seen that species before.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/18/2012, 3:15 pm

Thanks man, yeah they seem to be pretty rare. I have only seen people having O.glabifrons in their collection.
Back to top Go down
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/18/2012, 4:55 pm

What size do they measure around?
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/18/2012, 5:02 pm

My female is about 9cm and the male between 7 and 8cm, they are not known to exceed 10cm so the female is almost fully grown. She seems very fat at the moment so I dont know if she is pregnant.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/18/2012, 6:56 pm

Very nice! What country do you reside in i.e. are these available in the UK lol??

I have O. lamorali which makes a change!! I do have a O. glabrifrons though as well lol.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/18/2012, 7:30 pm

I am from South Africa self, very, very difficult to get permits for them here! I doubt you will find any of these outside South africa as it is illegal to export them Sad Never seen O.lamorali before! Will have to go look it up. Did you import yours? Or do you have CB?
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 6:40 am

Ahh, you lucky person lol. So many cool scorpions and other animals in your country.

Yer, you don't see many SA scorpions about. O. lamorali are from Namibia and maybe the northern part of SA. I always thought Namibia had similar rules on exporting to SA, but this guy is an adult so is more than likely WC. Those Germans can get anything, including the odd SA scorpion!! They have long thin pedipalps unlike most Opistophthalmus that have the big, heavy 'spade' shaped claws.

Did you go and find your yourself or can reptile shops in SA stock native scorps??
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 6:45 am

I think you guys over there are much luckier than us here! We are allowed to keep Parabuthus and Uroplectes. We arent even allowed to import scorpions!? There are a few shops that sell parabuthus and uroplectes but they are few and far between.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 6:48 am

So that means we will never see the likes of Adroctonus spp. here as our government thinks they might escape and form invasive colonies.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 7:04 am

That's a shame for responsible hobbyists but I can see their point. You just have to look at Florida. Irresponsible keepers let their animals go and they thrive in the sub-tropical climate to the point of some actually becoming a problem i.e. burmese pythons, pirahna, snakeheads, a few gecko species etc etc.

Yer but you have got their southern equivalent, Parabuthus sp, wandering around in your back yard lol!! That is pretty awesome.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 7:11 am

Yea that is quite convenient having them in my. backyard lol.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 7:23 am

Callum B wrote:
That's a shame for responsible hobbyists but I can see their point. You just have to look at Florida. Irresponsible keepers let their animals go and they thrive in the sub-tropical climate to the point of some actually becoming a problem i.e. burmese pythons, pirahna, snakeheads, a few gecko species etc etc.

It's a shame indeed!
That's why even the import of Trachemys scrypta elegans to EU countries was banned a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 7:36 am

Those big, messy, bitey things should be banned or severly restricted lol.

They don't normally survive winter up here in the North of England but every year you can spot a few dumped in the ponds of parks.

When I lived in Jersey, which is a lot milder than up here, there were a couple that lived in the pond down the hill from me. It rarely freezes on Jersey, and if it does it's not for very long, and every spring they would reappear basking on the logs in the middle of the pond.

In my opinion they are one of the biggest disasters in the reptile keeping world. So many end up in ponds or dying in some filthy, unfiltered, unsuitable aquarium. Theres a small aquarium not far from me and they have an indoor pond just for rescued/dumped Trachemys. Last time I went, there were around 30 in the pool. Ranging in size from the just got past the cute little 'turtle' size to big adults.

Sorry, gone a little off topic lol.

Shadow, do you get Parabuthus in towns and cities, or do you only find them away from human habitation?
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 7:47 am

It is very weird, you see many countries that have invasive species, but here in SA you dont see any, dont know if it is because of responsible keepers or just the climate is too harsh for many exotic species. Callum, you do get many Parabuthus that wonder into homes over here, but not that many other scorpions except maybe Opistacanthus spp and a few Uroplectes and Pseudolychas(dont know about spelling lol).
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 7:50 am

I'm against banning ANY reptile/invert to be kept in captivity, as long as you provide the animal with optimal living conditions, and yourself/neighbours etc. with proper safety when venomous animals are kept.
But, I have to agree with you on this. Trachemys are predators, and they're replacing the native fauna in some countries.

Shadow, that's a gorgeous Opistopthalmus you've got there!
Do you know in which parts of SA Parabuthus exists? I think Mpumalanga has them, but not sure of other regions.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 7:55 am

DolbyR, they are spread across the whole of South Africa, you wont find a part which they do not inhabit. Parabuthus transvaalicus you will find in Mpumalanga and the upper parts of the country.

Last edited by shadowfoot on 1/19/2012, 8:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 7:57 am

Amazing!
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 8:01 am

Lol, it is yes.
But... Still very difficult to find them!
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 10:02 am

Callum will you be able to post some pics of your O. lamorali? Would love to see them.
Back to top Go down
Will3
Babycurus
Will3

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 1:13 pm

You should breed and export CBB Smile
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 1:44 pm

Would love to! Unfortunetaly it is illegal to import and export in South Africa. The only way to get these to other countries would be to smuggle them..... count me out lol.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 2:24 pm

This is what my O. lamorali looks like most of the time lol.......

My Opistophthlamus karooensis DSCN0103

I don't have any pics of him at the moment. Every time I have tried to get a pic he does a lap of his tank and then disappears into one of his burrows. I'll keep checking if he comes out tonight and try and get a pic.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 2:29 pm

That is quite a nice setup!
My O.karooensis comes out every night and patrols for hours at a time and eats everything in sight and then they go hide again.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty1/19/2012, 3:14 pm

Cheers man.

Mine mostly stays hidden and doesn't eat a great deal. I really like Opistophthalmus sp. but they really do like to stay hidden which can be a bit annoying. But a happy scorpion is a hidden scorpion lol. Or a hidden scorpion is a happy scorpion. Which ever way around it is lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Opistophthlamus karooensis   My Opistophthlamus karooensis Empty

Back to top Go down

My Opistophthlamus karooensis
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpion Pictures / Videos-
Jump to: