The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Nismo400rgtr
Pandinus
Nismo400rgtr

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-09-24

Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb Empty
PostSubject: Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb   Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb Empty1/11/2012, 11:47 pm

Hey all,

Been a while since I've posted and It's been a while since I've owned scorpions until today Very Happy !!

I had a Pandinus Cavimanus when I first joined the forum. I bought it from a local reptile show,otherwise scorps in my area are unheard of. It had complications with molting to what I believe was 5i about 2 months under my care and it passed. Since then I got into Tarantula and Crested geckos for the last year.

I recently made the decision to own scorps again and purchased three that I received today. They're all young and probably no more than 2i. The species: Rhopalurus junceus 1/4" , Parabuthus transvaalicus 1/2" , Tityus stigmurus 1/2". I know these are generally not considered beginner species but I am perfectly capable of meeting their needs and researched the individual species before purchase.

My questions are in regards to feeding. Not only am I a newb to scorps but I'm new to scorps of this size.

Would these guys accept a pre-killed meal or does it have to be alive?
Would they feed from tongs like I can with my T's? (required for dubia since they'll readily burrow into the substrate)
Any danger to leaving crickets in the enclosure overnight?
At what size could I begin to offer newly born dubia nymphs,since I usually have an abundance of them? (Their exo is tougher than crickets. I know R. Junceus will be on pinheads for a bit)

TIA
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb   Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb Empty1/12/2012, 12:52 am

Would these guys accept a pre-killed meal or does it have to be alive?

They will usually accept a freshly killed meal if they are hungry. Just gently place the incapacitated feeder in front of them will do, they should pick it up and feed within mins if they are hungry.

Would they feed from tongs like I can with my T's? (required for dubia since they'll readily burrow into the substrate)

Yes, they would feed from tongs. Provided the feeder is not exceptionally larger than themselves and they are not startled by your feeding attempts. Since they are 2.instar, the safer size of feeder to offer should be less than 1.5cm

Any danger to leaving crickets in the enclosure overnight?

If the scorpion is nearing pre-molt stages, yes.
Danger increases if the cricket is larger in size as compared to the scorpion.
If you have to leave it overnight, i'll recommend a slight head-crush on the cricket and remove if it's not taken within 24hours.

At what size could I begin to offer newly born dubia nymphs,since I usually have an abundance of them? (Their exo is tougher than crickets. I know R. Junceus will be on pinheads for a bit)

I do not have dubia (as i'm on a B.lateralis colony) but newly born dubai should be still quite soft aren't they? so long as the size does not exceeds the scorpion. Well, you can always try one and see how it goes.
The larger feeder my 2.instar R. Junceus can take are cricket juveniles or roach nymphs not exceeding 2cm.
I usually offer feeder size of half or no larger than scorpion's full length.

Btw, Welcome back to the hobby Smile
Back to top Go down
Nismo400rgtr
Pandinus
Nismo400rgtr

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb   Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb Empty1/13/2012, 7:34 pm

Thanks a lot Bud! I appreciate you answering all my questions and the welcome back. Just finished reading your write-up on keeping desert species as well as your care sheet for Parabuthus transvaalicus from your site.

I'm going to offer some crushed head juvi crickets tonight. Hopefully they all eat!

Just subscribed to your channel too! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb   Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb Empty

Back to top Go down

Long Time No Post,Few questions-Newb
Page 1 of 1