The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Mycosis question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Wearelegion
Hadogenes
Wearelegion

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2011-06-29

Mycosis question Empty
PostSubject: Mycosis question   Mycosis question Empty1/9/2012, 12:57 pm

Hi guys. I want to know if anyone had experience with scorpions having mycosis and repairing it with molting. My friend has a problem with mycosis on his desert specimen when he got it and is curious if mycosis will go away with scorpion molts.

I wasn't sure what to tell him cause mycosis ate away those little claws scorpions have on their legs on 3 of his legs and logicaly I don't think molting can repair that but then again I heard some scorpions regained whole chelae fingers in molts Shocked

Thx
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Mycosis question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis question   Mycosis question Empty1/9/2012, 1:59 pm

I can only speak from my own experiences but recently i had a couple of R.garridoi that i had initially kept under incorrect conditions. The chap i received them off told me he kept them as bark scorpions with accompanying warmth and humidity to boot although within a couple of weeks i found out they preferred an arid environment.
They were 5th instar when i got them and all have since moulted..

Notice the first and second leg on the left hand side is showing strong signs of mycosis while the bottom of the first leg on the right hand side is completely gone.

Mycosis question 01_11_11

I haven't taken a ventral picture of this scorpion since it moulted but look closely...you can see that all the previous damage has gone now that it's moulted to sub adult female. Even the missing leg joint has regenerated albeit maybe a little thinner and less defined than it's counterpart although i'm confident that will be corrected with it's final moult to adulthood

Mycosis question Fresh_12

So...with enough moults to adulthood i'm tempted to believe that most skeletal problems can be corrected through moulting.

Back to top Go down
Wearelegion
Hadogenes
Wearelegion

Mycosis question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis question   Mycosis question Empty1/9/2012, 5:20 pm

Thank you for a very informative reply! So it is possible. Now just to see is that the case only with specific genus or most of scorpion spp.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Mycosis question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis question   Mycosis question Empty1/10/2012, 12:23 pm

that is cool, i had a scorp die from mycosis, only had it a month it was sent to us with the condition i suppose if its conditions are altered early enough it has hope Smile
Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Mycosis question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis question   Mycosis question Empty1/10/2012, 1:38 pm

Quote :
Now just to see is that the case only with specific genus or most of scorpion spp.

I can't imagine so...i would think that most moulting inverts share this ability. As long as the damage doesn't expose the interior to much and the scorpion has enough moults remaining to repair the damage.

Quote :
i suppose if its conditions are altered early enough it has hope Smile

To be honest i've never really heard of an example where someone has turned a bad case of mycosis around in an adult animal...survival seems to be a combination of young age and dry conditions....although saying that, i'd love to hear from someone who has a contradictory experience...

Back to top Go down
Wearelegion
Hadogenes
Wearelegion

Mycosis question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis question   Mycosis question Empty1/10/2012, 2:26 pm

Debating this theme with my friend I was concerned and checked all my scorpion and identified a mycosis on my new Androctonus Amourexi on his leg. I was really saddened by this because I got him 2 weeks ago and dint notice that as he was in the sand.

Seller told me he is one year old, 7cm in length. Is it possible he has one more molt to come?

pic is here, you can see mycosis on the far side last leg and also on this side first joint on the last leg (now it is darker).
Mycosis question IMG_3285
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mycosis question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mycosis question   Mycosis question Empty

Back to top Go down

Mycosis question
Page 1 of 1