The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's

Go down 
+3
Streettrash
Will3
DolbyR
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty
PostSubject: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/9/2012, 5:43 am

I know this is not a T forum, but I know a lot of you keep a bunch of T's too.

I'm starting to get ready some cubic, stackable enclosures for my bigger T's as they're all in plastic boxes now and I need to reorganize a bit.

I'm looking at making similar sized cubes so that they will easily organized/stacked. I'm just not 100% certain what the best size would be. Would 25x25xcm (10x10") be fine for adult Grammostolas and Brachypelmas, or should I go for 30x30cm (12x12")?
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Will3
Babycurus
Will3

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/9/2012, 7:59 am

Go with the 30x30
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/10/2012, 12:15 am

I'm currently housing my adult G. rosea, and sub-adult B. albopilosum in 15"x7" enclosures that are 6" high. They would translate into 11"x11" cubes. They have plenty of room in them.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/10/2012, 4:20 am

Thanks guys.

[quote=Streettrash]I'm currently housing my adult G. rosea, and sub-adult B. albopilosum in 15"x7" enclosures that are 6" high. They would translate into 11"x11" cubes. They have plenty of room in them.[/quote]

Great info Street. Got any pics online?
I think in the end I might go for the 12" cubes, or 10"x10", 12" deep. While the bigger depth would give significantly more space, I would be able to fit more enclosures in a smaller space.

When finished, they would look similar to these:
Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Stock-photo-terrarium-a-glass-vivarium-for-keeping-exotic-and-tropical-pet-animals-such-as-lizards-snakes-and-81838414

But the ventilation would be down in front, and up on the back so airflow won't be restricted even if more enclosures are side by side, or stacked.
Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/10/2012, 7:36 am

Since we are talking about T enclosures... I just found a great deal on an acrylic box 15.5x7x6 also. Was on sale at the store for $10usd each.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/10/2012, 9:10 am

That's a pretty awesome price. The only acrylic ones I can get locally are about $25-30usd for a 10"x10"x10".
Back to top Go down
Will3
Babycurus
Will3

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/10/2012, 11:53 am

Acrylic is expensive and very easy to scratch, go with glass!
Back to top Go down
Sauerkraut
Hadogenes
Sauerkraut

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/10/2012, 11:59 am

Depends what thickness acrylic you go with. Around here for the medium thickness(thinner than plexi) it's $8 for a 36" X 12" sheet

For a larger cage I wouldnt use it, but for a 12X12 or smaller i think it would work fine
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/10/2012, 12:45 pm

i house my regalis in a 30x30x30 exo terra even though shes still quitesmall, it will do her for life, im likeing that tank in the pic where is that from?
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/10/2012, 3:03 pm

I'll post some photo's here when I get home Dolby.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/10/2012, 9:33 pm

As promised...

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/10/2012, 10:28 pm

street , I picked these up from the craft store also. great set ups by the way. Also did you notice if you need any kind of clasp ? I was wondering if you had any escapees with those enclosures
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 12:45 am

I haven't yet. They snap closed pretty well. I have to use a fingernail to get between the plastic and pry pretty good to pop them open. I also set that flat slate in the first picture on top of the rosie's enclosure, and the albo has a juvie L. parahybana enclosure on top of it when it's on the shelf. I really doubt that they could pop them open.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 3:51 am

That are some neat setups Street!

Bex, the pic is from some US online store. I think I've seen something pretty similar on Jay's collection pics.
Back to top Go down
Will3
Babycurus
Will3

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 7:37 am

Also take into consideration that you should have like 10-15cm substrate for burrowing species, the enclosures Streettrash have don't allow that.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 7:58 am

Yeah I have some front opening glass enclosures like you posted up Dolby. They're great for anything that doesn't want to burrow but otherwise you can't fit enough substrate in, they kick substrate into the door runners and pile it up against the door so when you open it all falls out. They came from the link at the bottom, they do all different enclosure designs for inverts, custom made to size but burrowers need top opening really.

I have to agree that glass is far superior to acrylic. As much as I love the look of acrylic enclosures and I have loads of them, I wont be buying anymore. They just scratch way too easily and polishing them back up is a pain so glass is much easier to clean and keep clean and stay looking new for longer. Also acrylic can warp with too much moisture or heat.

Custom Aquaria - Invert tanks
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 9:00 am

I'll probably just make one of those for the rosie or the auratum and if they kick too much substrate (they usually don't burrow though), I'll just use it for some buthids Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 11:39 am

I thought it would be pretty obvious that you wouldn't keep obligate burrowers in 6" deep tank...
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 11:46 am

Streettrash wrote:
I thought it would be pretty obvious that you wouldn't keep obligate burrowers in 6" deep tank...

I wasn't. The ones need rehousing are B. auratum, G. porteri and G. sp. concepcion. I've yet to see any of them burrow.
They'll be more than 6" tall though. Either 12" or 10", depending if I go for cubic or for rectangular.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 1:04 pm

Will3 wrote:
Also take into consideration that you should have like 10-15cm substrate for burrowing species, the enclosures Streettrash have don't allow that.

Sorry Dolby, I should have quoted this on my previous post.

I've only ever seen Grammostola, and Brachypelma burrow in captivity as slings.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 1:06 pm

Yeah, I thought it might refer to that, but decided to post anyway Very Happy

Viking
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 1:09 pm

I really like these short enclosures for my opportunistic spiders. They save a lot of space on the rack.
Back to top Go down
Will3
Babycurus
Will3

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 2:16 pm

My adult B. vagans burrows like crazy, my G. rosea is a bulldozer.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 3:08 pm

I am raging right now Evil or Very Mad

Look what I just done to one of the tanks I was just banging on about.

You guys jinxed me!!

Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Tank2
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Ludedor24
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty1/11/2012, 5:57 pm

shoulda went acrylic ! JK ....man that stinks Neutral
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's   Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's Empty

Back to top Go down

Jack-of-all trades enclosure size for T's
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next