The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BelfastScorpion
Pandinus
BelfastScorpion

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies Empty
PostSubject: Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies   Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies Empty12/15/2011, 7:37 pm

Hi everyone,

My Heterometrus mysorensis has recently gave birth to 18 scorplings.

They have already had their first molt and have all now came off the mothers back. Do I wait until they molt again before seperating them?

Also do I feed them now by throwing a few small crickets into the tank or should I wait until I seperate them before feeding them with crickets?

Thanks.

Last edited by GS on 12/17/2011, 5:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated typo error in title)
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies   Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies Empty12/15/2011, 10:41 pm

BelfastScorpion wrote:
They have already had their first molt and have all now came off the mothers back. Do I wait until they molt again before seperating them?.

No, you do not "have to" wait for a molt to 3.instar before separating them.
It is safe to rehouse them once they are at 2.instar and have dismounted from mom's back.

BelfastScorpion wrote:
Also do I feed them now by throwing a few small crickets into the tank or should I wait until I seperate them before feeding them with crickets?
Thanks.

A 2.instar should be ready to feed 5-7 days after they have dismounted from mom's back.
Whether to feed them as they are or after rehouse is up to your preference.
Back to top Go down
BelfastScorpion
Pandinus
BelfastScorpion

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies   Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies Empty12/16/2011, 6:04 am

Many thanks for your reply and advice.

One more question. When I seperate the young can I keep them communially, or should I keep them individually?

Many thanks again.
Back to top Go down
Scorpeace
Babycurus
Scorpeace

Number of posts : 380
Registration date : 2011-07-19

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies   Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies Empty12/16/2011, 1:31 pm

You can, but you will eventually get some cannibalism. Mysorensis is one of the non-communal heterometrus species Smile
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies   Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies Empty12/16/2011, 11:24 pm

What can you do after the 2.instar scorplings has dismounted from mum's back:

Choice 1) Separate each sling into individual containers:

Choice 2) House the slings communally within themselves:

Choice 3) House the slings communally with their scorpion mum: 

- By comparing the choices above, Choice 3 (Communal setup with scorpion mum) has been observed as the fastest growing group followed by Choice 2 (Communal setup among scorplings)

I'm not saying there are no risk involved but I have housed 10 Heterometrus mysorensis 2.instar scorplings in a small 5 gallon communal setup with just 2 big flat barks on the substrate. They huddle together daily and are approaching 5.instar with 0 deaths.

Whether to house them Communal or in individual setups depends on the risk you are willing to take and the objective in breeding.

For learning and observation of scorpion behavior:
Since you have a whole brood of young to experiment with, you may wish to consider spliting them into different groups (e.g. choice 1,2 & 3), this way can learn about how they interact with each other and their speed of growth in different settings.

If they are very rare in your country and your sole objective is to raise and sell/trade off, of cos, the safest choice is still individual setup.

As i have mentioned in my caresheet:

- Forest scorpions such as Pandinus imperator/ Heterometrus spinifer should have no issues in communal setup with the following conditions met:
--- Provision of adequate hides
--- Provision of ample humidity 
--- Provision of ample enclosure space
--- Ensuring well-fed specimens

My main concern in communal setup for forest scorpions young to sub adults is mainly on cricket attacks during they molt. Hence their main food source are juvenile B.lateralis roaches (lesser risk) and occasional head-crushed crickets/mealworms.

All in all its only for your consideration and only you can decide which to go for Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies   Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies Empty

Back to top Go down

Heterometrus Mysorensis Babies
Page 1 of 1