The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Problemo

Go down 
+4
Kejser
**GS**
*~BEX~*
Callum B
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 1:01 pm

Elo,

2 weeks ago my female Iurus asiaticus gave birth to 5 young. Oh how happy I was, 5 nice big and so, easy to feed babies. Anyway, it started well but over the last 2 weeks I have lost 3 of them whilst they were on the mothers back. I think it's is down to not getting the humidity right in her enclosure. Of the little info I could find on them, I have read conflicting reports on how humid to keep them and I reckon I have kept it to humid. The babies that died seemed to become really fragile and basically turned to mush on her back. I'm quite annoyed but as it is my first time raising this species I am not to worried. Trial and error and all that.

Anyhow, due to her still having two healthy looking young on her back and, because she seems very timid, I did not attempt to move the dead young off her to avoid stressing her out. I thought the dead would drop off her over the next few days. Well they flipping didn't and to top it off some of them are stuck to her and by the looks of it have attracted mites!!! From what I can see there are no mites on the living young and not many on the mother but there are a fair few on the dead pullus'.
Now I am stuck with what to do. Should I remove the 2 survivors off mummies (lol) back to get them away from the mites? I am not 100% sure but I think they may have moulted into 2i but are still white. They seem to have got bigger and the ends of their movable and fixed fingers have started to darken. If they were fully hardened I would have no qualms with moving them but if they are either still soft or are actually still 1i I think it would be a big risk disturbing them. The next challenge, once the young have been moved or have left her back, is to get the dead off the female. I have had a go and they are stuck so much that lifting one lifts the mother with it!! Right bloody pain lol.

I know, and have done before, that when a scorpion is stuck mid-moult you can submerse them in luke-warm water to try and give them a hand. What would you guys reckon on doing that to the mother to try and loosen the dead off her??

Finally, I have never had to deal with mites before, so what are your best tips on removing them if there are any on the mother or babies after I have sorted this mess out?

Look forward to hearing lots of very useful answers lol.

Ooooh and why has every scorpion I have had a problem with come from a certain supplier?? I know the dead young stuff is partly my doing but mites?? I have never had a scorpion with mites before.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 1:15 pm

oh jeez i bet i can guess your supplier too Sad

sad to hear this didnt know yours had had babies? did you post it before? i would just mist a small corner and the mums job then is to take babies to the best climate for their needs Smile

what sort of mites are you talking about? if its the bad mites then your screwed basically non will survive...if its the good mites..you dont really have a problem other than giving them the right conditions...i dont have a single humid tank without the good mites...you cannot keep them away its virtually impossible and they dont matter anyway if they are the good ones lol Smile

i had the same problem with the e.flavs i removed them from mum and they all died Sad trust mum to take them to the right climate if you give her the options Smile
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 1:35 pm

Hi bex,
yer I think it's fairly obvious who I got it off. Not sure if the mites are due to that supplier but I've been having problems with some of my others over the last few months.

Anyway, yer as much as I am complaining about this supplier I did get a very good deal on 3 adult Iurus a while back as I wanted to have a go at breeding. To my surprise the female I received was already pregnant. To be honest, with the size she was I personally wouldn't have posted her. You could clearly see the embryo's through her membrane. Luckily she gave birth with no problems.
Since the deaths I have lowered the humidity and am just keeping a small bottle top of water in with her and spraying that corner occasionally.

I have never had mites before so I am unsure as to which are the good guys and which are the bad. The ones on the dead young are tiny, light coloured things. They do seem to only be on the dead stuff or very close to the dead stuff on the mothers back. I would take a pic but I don't have a camera at the moment.

Oh yer and my E. flavs are so far doing really well although they haven't reached 3i yet. Do you remember how long it took yours to reach 3i?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 1:43 pm

I would recommend not stressing out the scorpion mum by removing the dead babies while the 2 survivor is still up there. Reason being, even if you succeed in getting off the dead remains, there will be risks of a stressed-out scorpion mum or might end up hurting the survivor babies on the removing process.

I really hope the mites are the "good ones" and that they(mites) are preoccupied with the dead babies' remain while the survivors can molt successfully and dismount. As for what you can do currently, i'm with Bex on the following..
Hope everything works out for you mate.

*~BEX~* wrote:
...trust mum to take them to the right climate if you give her the options Smile

Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 1:44 pm

most of the white mites you find in tanks are freindly ones eating dead things.. the ones that stick in joints of scorpions and mouth parts and stuff like that are more of a redish/blood color.. and can be hard to see
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 1:47 pm

Jap, white mites are no predatory mites and do no harm.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 2:21 pm

My eflavs didn't reach 3i Sad Aldo good mites move fast run about a lot an eat dead stuff bad ones as kejser said stick to joints are kinda bigger and don't really move Smile
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2011-04-13

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 2:45 pm

that sucks callum.
who did you get the scorpion off ?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 2:51 pm

oh come on tom you have been here long enough to know lol...i suggest asking via PM Smile
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 3:14 pm

Who? :-)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 3:32 pm

I'm gonna guess it's Martin without giving it completely away lol Smile
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/27/2011, 5:11 pm

All I will say is this certain persons name begins with M and ends with N and his surname isn't Goss.

Cheers for all the input guys. I'm going to leave them be and hope all goes well. I reckon they are defo 2i as I'm pretty sure there is a couple of skins also stuck to mummies back lol. Why can't it all have gone as smoothly as my female E. flavs birth etc. did lol??

As for the mites, it looks like it is the 'friendly' ones. They are all whiteish, fast moving and seem to be staying on dead matter only. I can probably take back my bad words about M as, I presume these are fairly common in most enclosures hiding away and feeding on any leftovers.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/28/2011, 3:35 am

That's a shame mate and I got a really nice scorpion from him too!

Problemo IMG_2962

Problemo IMG_2955

Sorry for 'orrible pics lol
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/28/2011, 3:38 am

WTH is that? Bad molt?
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/28/2011, 3:40 am

na I think it's some sort of damages, this was a while ago now, shes still going but still only looks slightly better where I've cleaned it and that Sad
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/28/2011, 4:02 am

hmm had a lot of bad stuff now a freiend got 3 spinifers off him and one had two legs missing and a massive blockage,,,, ive got one of them now think i got one with one missing limb lol Smile had stuff sent out wrongly (3 seperate orders messed up actually) had things die like a month after receving them...heard some real bad storys about him too so we dont get from him any more
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty9/28/2011, 4:55 am

Yer it's really annoying. Up until a few months ago he generally had the most interesting list of scorpions on offer which is why I often bought off him. The draw back was that you were more likely to have problems with any livestock from this supplier over others I have used.

Now that Snowgoose (Jake) has got Invert Imports up and running, there is finally someone else with a decent list of scorpions for sale. If you haven't used him yet I highly recommend you do. He's quick to respond, helpful and generally seems to be an all round nice guy lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Problemo Empty
PostSubject: Re: Problemo   Problemo Empty

Back to top Go down

Problemo
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpions In General-
Jump to: