The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?

Go down 
+6
lordpotato
*~BEX~*
Cyanide
pluto
shining
misterm16ge
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
misterm16ge
Hadogenes
misterm16ge

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-08-13

Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty
PostSubject: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/11/2011, 1:23 am

when i move slowly, then stay motionless, my h.arizonesis don't mind me. but they are startled when i move at a normal speed.

after my male and female settled into the viv, and i move as noted above, they act is if i wasnt there. when i first received them the male was always cautious and wary at any glimpse of me, now seems like it's different?
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/misterm16ge
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 3:42 am

no.scorpions have a nervous system different than ours and snakes.scorpions are hardwired to survive.they will never learn to recognize you.
it was really edgy at first but now has calmed down because its settled in to its new home and is somewhat used to its enviroments vibrations.hes getting bolder is all.

snakes arent machines.they actually have a brain and decipher simple things like to gauge the distance they are from the ground.no abc or mathematical equations though.they can also learn a keepers scent and read our body language and learn to trust a keeper which a scorpion will never do.more goes on behind a snakes eyes than you think.especially snakes that are more adept visually and at the peak of snake "intelligence".
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 4:19 am

Cowboys and Aliens Rocks, its so goofy it was funny. Im in love with the girl too
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 4:21 am

seriously,kinda like when you think your done pinching a loaf and then another turtle sticks its head out and its a different color.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 4:23 am

lol sounds cool but lemme google the words first..
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 4:24 am

hahahahahaha
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 4:26 am

so when you are done squeezing a meatbread and then another turtle comes looking it has a different color. Dude I dont get it, you're too intelligent for me.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 4:41 am

the two different predators are like the tirds hence being two different colors.
one is meatloaf and one is the ops human brain i ate the night before. Cool
Back to top Go down
misterm16ge
Hadogenes
misterm16ge

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 11:37 am

shining wrote:
no.scorpions have a nervous system different than ours and snakes.scorpions are hardwired to survive.they will never learn to recognize you.
it was really edgy at first but now has calmed down because its settled in to its new home and is somewhat used to its enviroments vibrations.hes getting bolder is all.

snakes arent machines.they actually have a brain and decipher simple things like to gauge the distance they are from the ground.no abc or mathematical equations though.they can also learn a keepers scent and read our body language and learn to trust a keeper which a scorpion will never do.more goes on behind a snakes eyes than you think.especially snakes that are more adept visually and at the peak of snake "intelligence".

+1

thanks again shining!

a coworker gave me a simpler answer, scorpion is dumber than snake. but that concise answer is going to leave me question-less for some time! Very Happy

ur guys jokes look bunny, but me not know understand. not my intelligence level.
....LoL ya stinkin geniuses Very Happy

Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 1:28 pm

I didnt get it either thats why I deviated to google. Google is your friend.
Back to top Go down
Cyanide
Babycurus
Cyanide

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2011-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 2:58 pm

Being able to tell that you're not on the ground isn't intelligent it's being able to see.

Scorpions don't have the capacity to learn and if your scorpion was big enough would eat you without remorse.
Back to top Go down
misterm16ge
Hadogenes
misterm16ge

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 4:36 pm

Cyanide wrote:
Being able to tell that you're not on the ground isn't intelligent it's being able to see.

Scorpions don't have the capacity to learn and if your scorpion was big enough would eat you without remorse.

+1 my pet would eat me! muhaahahhaha! wow! thanks !
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 4:46 pm

I wish we could train scorps would be awesome ... However I would have to say that T's I believe can be ... Um... Not trained ... Maybe conditioned as mine have
Changed behavior wise since ive been tong feeding

They seem to know that I'm there to feed not hurt they don't run off they wait for me to feed... Whereas before as soon as the tank ws touched they would leg it

I believe they have got used to me somehow it's cool I will... Somehow... Hold my regalis lol Smile
Back to top Go down
misterm16ge
Hadogenes
misterm16ge

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 4:48 pm

*~BEX~* wrote:
I wish we could train scorps would be awesome ... However I would have to say that T's I believe can be ... Um... Not trained ... Maybe conditioned as mine have
Changed behavior wise since ive been tong feeding

They seem to know that I'm there to feed not hurt they don't run off they wait for me to feed... Whereas before as soon as the tank ws touched they would leg it

I believe they have got used to me somehow it's cool I will... Somehow... Hold my regalis lol Smile

+1 thx bex! mark... im givin the cobalt blue a second thought Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-11-04

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 6:52 pm

Well I think mine have learned, because I have a stick in my tank and my male would always try and climb it. Every time he tried he got better and better. Until one night, I was reading a book in my bed and I heard the typical sound of his claws hitting glass. I looked down and saw he was climbing on one of the thinnest parts. The first couple times he tries and climbs the stick he would get on it and fall off. On his most successful run, he used his claws as grips on the sticks.

If thats not learning, I don't know what is.
Back to top Go down
jfilyau
Centruroides

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2011-07-25

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 7:34 pm

my emp scorpion is smart it attacks everything and trys to eat it except the other baby emp
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 8:29 pm

Cyanide wrote:

didnt say it was intelligent.
hold a snake just above the ground enough for it to extend and try to slither away,pull your arm back up slowly and the snake will pull itself back up.it can see and adjust.they are more perceptive to their enviroments and more adaptive.
the rest of the paragraph explains some of the other instances a snake isnt just a machine.

in reality we are all machines,all the humans,all the animals.we all are programmed for one thing to survive and procreate.some machines are just created more advanced than other machines.

i would like to see a video of a giant scorpion eating a human!!!!
bruuuttttallll!!!!

mrpotato did mention something about his emp figuring out how to crawl up something so i guess they can figure out how to crawl up things like they are wired to do.

Back to top Go down
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 9:11 pm

shining wrote:
Cyanide wrote:

didnt say it was intelligent.
hold a snake just above the ground enough for it to extend and try to slither away,pull your arm back up slowly and the snake will pull itself back up.it can see and adjust.they are more perceptive to their enviroments and more adaptive.
the rest of the paragraph explains some of the other instances a snake isnt just a machine.

in reality we are all machines,all the humans,all the animals.we all are programmed for one thing to survive and procreate.some machines are just created more advanced than other machines.

i would like to see a video of a giant scorpion eating a human!!!!
bruuuttttallll!!!!

mrpotato did mention something about his emp figuring out how to crawl up something so i guess they can figure out how to crawl up things like they are wired to do.

Of course anything can adapt to an environment that it lives in. Being that the capacity of a brain in a scorpion is mostly reserved for things like eat, sleep, poop and survive, ........the fact that it perseveres to do an activity that might lead it to better feeding grounds or homing/birthing areas (IE: climbing the stick and continuing to climb the stick) suggests to me an intelligence of some sort. An ability to consider a way to improve it's current situation with something more than instinct?

Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 9:31 pm

Annababe wrote:
[. An ability to consider a way to improve it's current situation with something more than instinct?

my entire argument is saying a snake is more perceptive and adaptive to its enviroment than a scorpion and can learn its keepers and to affiliate things with certain other things unlike a scorpion.an example of that is my snake will extend itself from someone else holding it to come back to me because it memorized my scent and try to come back to the scent its familiar with and trusts and learned isnt a predator or threat.

technically everything has the ability to better themselves and comprehend its enviroments with the brains and nervous systems they are provided with.
everything seeks out food its instinct.everything tries to make themselves comfortable in its enviroment or by seeking out a new enviroment.a natural instinctual drive everything is born with to survive.

i believe the op was getting at,since he "likes scorpions more than humans"and by giving the examples he gave the real question was,"can the scorpion learn to recognize him and is that why he doesnt runaway when he comes by"that is the root of this question.

Back to top Go down
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 10:09 pm

shining wrote:
Annababe wrote:
[. An ability to consider a way to improve it's current situation with something more than instinct?

my entire argument is saying a snake is more perceptive and adaptive to its enviroment than a scorpion and can learn its keepers and to affiliate things with certain other things unlike a scorpion.an example of that is my snake will extend itself from someone else holding it to come back to me because it memorized my scent and try to come back to the scent its familiar with and trusts and learned isnt a predator or threat.

technically everything has the ability to better themselves and comprehend its enviroments with the brains and nervous systems they are provided with.
everything seeks out food its instinct.everything tries to make themselves comfortable in its enviroment or by seeking out a new enviroment.a natural instinctual drive everything is born with to survive.

i believe the op was getting at,since he "likes scorpions more than humans"and by giving the examples he gave the real question was,"can the scorpion learn to recognize him and is that why he doesnt runaway when he comes by"that is the root of this question.

LOL Shining cheers
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 10:19 pm

Yeah, took him weeks to figure out the stick. He just mindlessly climes it walk an inch and the fall.he kept going back on.

Though I think you can breed out the predator instinct. At my home we have a compost, and flies would like crazy in the compost, after a few months, the flies wouldn't run away if swung at them. Therefor if you continually breed the scorps, they will most likely not be afraid of every thing. I believe we see this in emperor scorpions today. They are one of the most docile and the have been a popular choice.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 10:43 pm

The vast majority of captive Emperor scorpions are wild caught however...
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 10:52 pm

emps are just the puppy dogs of scorpions and i believe thats just the way they are.
it is a good theory though.

it all deserves some looking into.
Back to top Go down
lordpotato
Hadogenes
lordpotato

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 11:44 pm

Excellent point there street, but there must be a reason for the docileness... We must investigate!
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty9/12/2011, 11:58 pm

You know those guys that are big, thick necked working men? Just sorta stupid? Like Lenny from Of Mice and Men. That's emperor scorpions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?   Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes? Empty

Back to top Go down

Can scorpions learn or are they machines like snakes?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next