The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis

Go down 
+4
pluto
Streettrash
*~BEX~*
shebeen
8 posters
AuthorMessage
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty
PostSubject: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/24/2011, 11:16 am

Here's the Haddy I ordered from Ken. It arrived yesterday and ducked under a hide soon after I placed it in the
enclosure. This morning, it was out exploring and I was able to get some photos.

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Ha111

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Ha211

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Ha311
Might have a small spot of mycosis on the left pedipalp near the "shoulder".

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Ha410

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Ha510
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/24/2011, 11:19 am

wow great looking haddy Smile congrats on your new addition Smile
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/24/2011, 11:40 am

It's great! Looks very healthy.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/24/2011, 11:44 am

Looks fresh to me too! THese are one of the biggest scorpions out there in the US no?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/24/2011, 12:16 pm

I'm really happy with it. I now have a scorpion I can see, instead of just a pair of claws sticking out of a hide. Very Happy
I ask for a larger individual, so I assume this guy (or gal, haven't sexed it yet) is an adult, although I could be
wrong. I was worried my 12x12x12 inch enclosure was going to be too small, but it looks like it will be fine.
Some sources claim H. arizonensis is the largest scorpion native to North America, other people say C. gracilis
is the largest. It's probably a toss up as both species can reach 5.5 inches.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/25/2011, 12:40 am

beautiful specimen,love the flat rock burrow,awesome set up and pics. cheers
Back to top Go down
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-06-16

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/26/2011, 2:36 am

Third pic is awesome.
Man, those are nice looking scorpions.
The pet shop I deal with gets the odd one once in awhile, I've already told him to give me a call for a guaranteed sale.
But I'll have to buy the gf the Chilean Rose I promised her first, or there'll be trouble...

Did you end up doing that partial false bottom setup?
Edited: Never mind, I did the obvious and looked at your thread on it.
Sweet setup indeed. Looks like I'll have to be stealing ideas yet again. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/27/2011, 3:31 pm

Since this time of year typically brings summer rains to the southwestern deserts where H. arizonensis reside,
I added some water to the false bottom. I didn't add a lot, about 1/8 inch, just enough to reach the rear of the
reservoir. After two days, all the water has absorbed into the substrate and the reservoir is empty except for some
condensation. I don't plan on adding water again for at least 6 months. I hope I didn't add too much, but any less
wouldn't have reached the rear wick in the false bottom. I guess time will tell.

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Hfb110
Back to top Go down
misterm16ge
Hadogenes
misterm16ge

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2011-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty8/27/2011, 4:57 pm

beautiful haddies! Very Happy coo! you simulated the summer rains with the p.false bottom Very Happy natural Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://facebook.com/misterm16ge
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty3/20/2012, 3:15 pm

There's been some discussion on the AB forum concerning H. arizonensis, so I thought I'd update this thread with a few current photos of my Haddy tank.

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis 19032010
The Haddy has dug tunnels on both sides of the tank, but prefers the right side. The cactus was a failed effort, so I removed it and the hole was soon filled with sand.

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis 19032011
The most recent tunnel runs over most of the false bottom. It appeared soon after the water had evaporated from the last false bottom filling. About this time, I also turned off the heat lamp to simulate a winter period. The tank stays at room temp (65F-70F), but I'm pretty sure it's much colder in the Arizona desert. When the heat was removed, the scorp blocked off the entrance of her first burrow under the slate and now stays out of sight back in the corner. I believe this is natural behavior. In winter, they stay under ground unless the sun is warm enough for venturing top side. In summer, they stay under ground to escape the heat and venture out in the cool of the night.

If you'd like to see how the tunneling progressed, it's covered in the thread Haddy starts a burrow. Construction of the tank is covered in False bottom setup for Hadrurus arizonensis.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty3/22/2012, 10:22 pm

Shebeen, this is good stuff (construction of the tank/ false bottom) that you are sharing scorpion

Are you trying to breed these beauties?
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty3/25/2012, 1:25 pm

I'm not considering a breeding project at this time. If I were to undertake one, it would probably be with a species that's easier to raise from birth. But then, I really like Hadrurus sp. for their size and activity, and I'm sure I'll be getting more.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis   Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis Empty

Back to top Go down

Shebeen's Hadrurus arizonensis
Page 1 of 1