The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

my first OBT

Go down 
+6
Streettrash
shining
*~BEX~*
Peloquin
alightning2010
swane
10 posters
AuthorMessage
swane
Pandinus

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2011-06-14

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/2/2011, 4:33 pm

after alot of study and advice from experience keepers,i have decided on an OBT for my first 'T' i have never kept 'T's before but i do have experience with if that makes any sense,(looked after friends and helped unpack and put them in there appropriate enclosures),the main advice i got told if you need to open the lid take the enclosure up to the bath tube,because there so fast,somebody had shown me what there feather leg baboon had done to them and that 'T' had put him in a world of hurt it took him over 3 months toget over the bite(s),seeing the bite(s) i have given them a whole knew respect.
Back to top Go down
alightning2010
Pandinus
alightning2010

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-04-13

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/4/2011, 10:46 am

Good luck with that mate!

Fast as hell and nasty buggers you sure you want one for your first T? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Peloquin
Babycurus
Peloquin

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2010-06-29

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/4/2011, 12:08 pm

My second spider was an OBT. I've never bothered with using the bath or fridge or sink or anything. Yeah they are fast, nasty and have a bad bite but that doesnt mean you'll get bitten. Just be careful.
Saying that, there are a few species that may be better to start off with if you aren't 100% confident.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/4/2011, 12:12 pm

congrats on your new addition Smile my regalis molted again yesterday cheers

**Edit oh and my lasidora parahybana molted the same day too Smile
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/4/2011, 10:20 pm

ill be getting my obt sling tomorrow.congrats on your pickup.i cant wait to get mine.im looking forward to watching it grow and possibly charging me and biting me.ohh the love.
itl be my first t as well.im not interested in too many ts so my t want list is obt,gbb,versicolor,and the goliath birdeater.fun fun fun
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/4/2011, 11:07 pm

Shining, T. blondi are terrible spiders. If you want a giant bird eater look into getting an L. parahybana, or Salmon pink bird eater. It's the third largest spider in the world, very comparable to the goliath in size. The major difference comes in that they are much easier to care for, have an absolutely sunny disposition when compared to T. blondi, are half the price, and are more interesting to look at due to their long pinkish hairs. Look them up.

This is just my opinion of course, but if you talk to Pluto, or Peloquin about T. blondi they will readily express their distaste for the goliath. Goliath bird eaters are violent, flick hairs readily at the slightest disturbance, and are prone to dropping dead for no reason at all. By all means get one if you have to have one, but be ready for a face full of itchy brutal goodness!
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/5/2011, 3:49 am

hahaha it doesnt have to be the goliath just a big birdeater.ive seen the salmons their pretty.im not a fan of urticating hairs either.ive seen this guy on animal planet get maced with a lil cloud of hairs and web.its ok i posess the ability to slow time down in 10 second slo mo intervals.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/5/2011, 5:31 am

woehahahaa a t blondi! Go for it!

They're ugly, mean as [does your mother know you talk like that?] (at least mine was).. honestly an obt doesnt even compare!
They stink literally because they are not satisfied with one cricket, they take 3-4-5-6 at the same time leaving a terrible stinking mess behind. They have mean urticating hairs idd.

They have this strange ability to hiss. But I mean, you could hear it next to the other room. And to top it of, they do bite. They dont rear their front legs to drop down when in danger, they actually bite. I was really uneasy around that spider, whereas obts or pokies didnt make me nervous at all.

I do have to say, in contrast to other guys that know what they're talking about, I never had problems keeping it healthy. Hell, I could keep it bonedry and it still lived.

It was not my honey that one! I said it again, and I will say it again.. it was a male and died 2 years or so after maturing, and I was so happy I could chuck it out. On top of that they're really expensive as is said earlier and its just a big brown reddish blob.

L. Parahybana is much nicer to look at.. allegedly calmer and well, just the better spider in captivity imho.

Anyway gz with your obt, they pwn!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
shining
Parabuthus
shining

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/5/2011, 3:04 pm

haha the goliaths size and attitude is what i liked. id definitely have to keep a dubia colony for that behemoth though.what am i talking about i have 25 scorps to feed and i run out of crix midweek.i think its time. Puke
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/5/2011, 3:06 pm

i was browsing vids and info on obts and came across the obt venom test.
DO NOT WATCH IF YOU DONT LIKE TO SEE RODENTS HARMED BY PREDATORS
I REPEAT GRAPHIC DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVE A WEAK HEART

Back to top Go down
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/5/2011, 3:40 pm

Dang it! I watched it.

Seems like a lot of struggle..........I would think that if the venom is as intense as I've read the mouse would have gone down faster...........I dunno.
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/6/2011, 2:13 am

yeah i wouldve figured the same thing Anna but i guess its not as bad as its made out to be.just like the c.sculpt sting.
Back to top Go down
leiurusSaleen820
Babycurus
leiurusSaleen820

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2011-05-11

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/6/2011, 2:46 am

Wow Shocked that mouse got F'ed up.
Back to top Go down
swane
Pandinus

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/7/2011, 4:22 am

hello my friend, i'm 110% about keeping obt, i just got advised to do any tank maintance in the bath tube just until i get used to the 'T's movements (the speed) the fasted 'T' i have dealt with is Avicularia versicolor but obviously know were near aggresive.My friends i will let you know how i get on with the obt and your input is always appreciated,i'm not after one but could anybody tell me about Chilobrachys sericeus.
Back to top Go down
Peloquin
Babycurus
Peloquin

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2010-06-29

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/7/2011, 5:34 am

You really dont need to do tank maintainance. There is no waste to move unless you are using mice as food. They wont just run at you or run off as soon as you lift the lid. To be honest, I find all this "put them in the fridge" or "use the bath" laughable. If anything is gonna stress the spider out and make it more defencive it's dragging it around the house and having it's home bumped around.
Just take the lid off slowly and it'll just sit there.
Mina are all kept in a heated room (pics somewhere on the forum) and kept around 80F so by no means slowed down through cold. I wouldnt try moving a P. murinus around with my fingers but I use a small paintbrush or something, never had a problem in 20 years.
The Chilobrachys spiders are all usually faster and nastier than the Pterinochilus species (OBT) and are a bit more reliant on humidity. They can drop dead a bit easier than some other Genus but are lovely to keep.
If you decide to get one, try for a C. huahini. They are great.
Back to top Go down
swane
Pandinus

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/7/2011, 4:23 pm

Thanks Peloquin for feed back,i think i have gone looking into the OBT to much, and i have looked at the negitive side more so the positive side.
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty8/7/2011, 10:28 pm

Yea, my OBT is more defensive and willing to run farther into the enclosure than to be aggressive and run at me. Whereas my P. ornata is a psycho and attacks the tongs when I put food in, it has to do with the individual spider too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

my first OBT Empty
PostSubject: Re: my first OBT   my first OBT Empty

Back to top Go down

my first OBT
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: Other Pets :: Tarantulas, Spiders, and Other Arachnids-
Jump to: