The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year Empty
PostSubject: First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year   First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year Empty7/23/2011, 10:12 pm

Each year around this time, I look forward to the golden orb weavers that set up house on my front porch.
I usually get two or three. This is the first gal, so far, to set up residence. She's only about 3/8" leg tip to leg tip,
but she'll get bigger. Not as impressive as an exotic T, but a beautiful spider none the less.

First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year Ps110
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year   First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year Empty7/23/2011, 11:40 pm

I used to chuck little grasshoppers in their webs when I was a kid. That was fun.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year   First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year Empty7/23/2011, 11:51 pm

When I picked up my weekly batch of crickets yesterday, I noticed a couple of "smalls" amongst the adults.
If she hasn't eaten her web overnight, I may toss one in tomorrow morning. The cricket is about her size;
I hope she can handle it.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year   First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year Empty7/24/2011, 3:33 am

Streettrash wrote:
I used to chuck little grasshoppers in their webs when I was a kid. That was fun.

Laughup
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
pieheadman
Pandinus
pieheadman

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-07-31

PostSubject: Re: First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year   First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year Empty8/3/2011, 2:57 pm

Laughup
Back to top Go down
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-06-16

PostSubject: Re: First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year   First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year Empty9/11/2011, 4:15 am

I always cultivate a few webs around my porch area - between that and some potted lemon balm plants, it does a noticeable job of keeping the mosquitoes under control.
Once we move to a more long-term place, I'll also look into building a bat house to help even more with that.
They are indeed gorgeous spiders. Smile

@Streettrash: Rather than grasshoppers, I find leatherjackets/craneflies to be ideal; they're long-legged and light, so they get caught up easily. I've found that grasshoppers sometimes go right through the webbing.
Plus leatherjacket season coincides with spider season, and they're plentiful and stupid easy to catch. Just pluck 'em off walls by a wing (their legs pull off way too easily) and toss 'em in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year   First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year Empty

Back to top Go down

First porch spider (golden orb weaver) of the year
Page 1 of 1