The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .

Go down 
+4
Kejser
ManicDan
liette
Mr. Mordax
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty
PostSubject: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/10/2008, 10:22 pm

So I finally got around to redoing my H. arizonensis tank with 30% excavator sand so her burrows don't keep collapsing, and after looking at her during the rehousing I'm really starting to think she's gravid (at least the dealer was right about something). I haven't fed her in a while and she keeps getting fatter, and she's always stilting to be as close to the heater as possible. I also think I was able to see embryos through her membrane.

. . . Let's just hope that she decides to wait until after the new tank has a chance to dry, and that the humidity deeper down is conducive to molting.

*fingers crossed*
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/10/2008, 10:51 pm

good luck bro! mind me asking but are arizonensis desert species or?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/10/2008, 11:17 pm

They are indeed! They're very popular around here, especially as a beginner -- the adults are easy to take care of, they're active (mine's almost always out), and they're also the largest North American species.

Here's a couple shots of my girl:
Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . IMG_9916
Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Venom
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/10/2008, 11:47 pm

She does look gravid(not that I've had a gravid one before but she does look fat).

and i take it the H. genus are desert hairies?

beautiful scorpion.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/10/2008, 11:57 pm

She's gotten quite a bit fatter -- that first picture was when I got her in January (I forget when I took the second one).

And yeah, this would be the "desert hairy." Closely related to it is H. spadix, the only noticeable difference being the lack of a yellow triangle on the carapace.
Back to top Go down
ManicDan
Centruroides
ManicDan

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/10/2008, 11:59 pm

Well here's hoping for a healthy brood! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/10/2008, 11:59 pm

Thanks! I haven't had the best of luck in the past, though, and I'm well aware of the poor track record of rearing this species in captivity.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/11/2008, 1:33 am

liette wrote:
She does look gravid(not that I've had a gravid one before but she does look fat).

and i take it the H. genus are desert hairies?

beautiful scorpion.

Please rember that this is a desert spieces and they can get pretty fat without being gravid, i have a ballon size H.arizonensis and she is just fat, they can go for long time without food and they get fat pretty quickly..
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/11/2008, 2:24 am

Im hoping to get a H. arizonensis next month Smile I cant take it much longer! I cant wait any longer hehehe

xxxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/11/2008, 8:07 am

she looks gravid...... hope you get a big healthy brood!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/11/2008, 12:29 pm

Those pictures I always thought she was just pudgy. More recently she's bulked up a lot and I'm beginning to see things through her skin that could be embryos.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/14/2008, 7:41 pm

Mike you got a LOOONG way to go. I'll see if I can post a pic of my fatty. She's triple your size.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/28/2008, 8:36 pm

wth am I thinking? good luck and such
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/28/2008, 8:38 pm

Eddy, post a shot if you can. She's been a little weirder than usual and hasn't burrowed since I gave her some excavator sand.

Edit: What the heck am I thinking. She's ALWAYS weird.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty5/28/2008, 8:39 pm

Mines doing the same thing...just out and stilting a lot. I'll try to get a pic tonight.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .   Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . . Empty

Back to top Go down

Looks like I'm in for a challenge . . .
Page 1 of 1