The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Powerfeeding question

Go down 
+2
tlb_05
Roblicious
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Powerfeeding question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Powerfeeding question   Powerfeeding question - Page 2 Empty7/7/2011, 11:46 am

I noticed dubia roaches do the same thing and burrow right away, kinda annoying as I just picked up a started colony of these guys :-/

My LQ has been eating a baby cricket a day, starting the day after he molted.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Powerfeeding question   Powerfeeding question - Page 2 Empty7/7/2011, 10:14 pm

ukeaddictify wrote:
i am a new scorpion owner... and i notice that i could put several baby imp crickets in the housing, and a week later they are still there. now i read that they can sometimes go for a month without eating. and they should have a variety of food.... (when i put baby meal worms in the housing, they just bury themselves in a matter of seconds.) for this reason, would it be advisable to take him out of the housing, and put him in a tuperware container with a meal worm so they can "be alone"? thus guaranteeing the meal worm will not escape?

Yes, you are right that they can go on "diet" for quite sometime before eating again and they should be given a variety of food. You have done your homework Smile

If you remove your scorp to a designated "feeding tank", there is a chance they will not feel at ease to start eating straight away.. Being in a new enclosure usually makes them feel insecure and trigger their instinct to hide or explore the ground. Of cos, depending on the smoothness of transition to the "feeding tank" and the scorp's level of hunger.. there will be exceptional scorps that will gorge themselves with the food immediately.. Imo, this feeding tank regime is kind of a hassle but up to to individual.

Thats the thing about mealworm/superworms.. they burrow! Hence, when i gave such occasional treat to scorps, its either that take it down straight or i'll remove it. I will only allow roaches(B.Lateralis) to be wondering around the enclosure as "EAT Me when you feel like it" food. Wondering crickets(not recommended) are always crippled and never adult females(egg depository issue) Smile
Back to top Go down
ukeaddictify
Pandinus
ukeaddictify

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2011-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Powerfeeding question   Powerfeeding question - Page 2 Empty7/8/2011, 1:30 am

GS wrote:
ukeaddictify wrote:
i am a new scorpion owner... and i notice that i could put several baby imp crickets in the housing, and a week later they are still there. now i read that they can sometimes go for a month without eating. and they should have a variety of food.... (when i put baby meal worms in the housing, they just bury themselves in a matter of seconds.) for this reason, would it be advisable to take him out of the housing, and put him in a tuperware container with a meal worm so they can "be alone"? thus guaranteeing the meal worm will not escape?

Yes, you are right that they can go on "diet" for quite sometime before eating again and they should be given a variety of food. You have done your homework Smile

If you remove your scorp to a designated "feeding tank", there is a chance they will not feel at ease to start eating straight away.. Being in a new enclosure usually makes them feel insecure and trigger their instinct to hide or explore the ground. Of cos, depending on the smoothness of transition to the "feeding tank" and the scorp's level of hunger.. there will be exceptional scorps that will gorge themselves with the food immediately.. Imo, this feeding tank regime is kind of a hassle but up to to individual.

Thats the thing about mealworm/superworms.. they burrow! Hence, when i gave such occasional treat to scorps, its either that take it down straight or i'll remove it. I will only allow roaches(B.Lateralis) to be wondering around the enclosure as "EAT Me when you feel like it" food. Wondering crickets(not recommended) are always crippled and never adult females(egg depository issue) Smile

when you say wondering crickets are always crippled, do you mean they are, or i should always cripple them? and i only get tiny half inch ones crickets.... maybe 3 at a time. (or should i get 1 adult?) what would be an ideal food source. i only have access to meal worms and crickets.

and is it necessary to water or mist the substrate of a Centruroides vittatus??
Back to top Go down
tlb_05
Babycurus
tlb_05

Number of posts : 287
Registration date : 2011-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Powerfeeding question   Powerfeeding question - Page 2 Empty7/8/2011, 3:50 am

ukeaddictify wrote:

Yes it is necessary to mist the substrate of centruroides spp for like twice or once a week. Just make sure it is damp and not wet. Just spray lightly.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Powerfeeding question   Powerfeeding question - Page 2 Empty7/8/2011, 5:25 am

ukeaddictify wrote:
when you say wondering crickets are always crippled, do you mean they are, or i should always cripple them? and i only get tiny half inch ones crickets.... maybe 3 at a time. (or should i get 1 adult?) what would be an ideal food source. i only have access to meal worms and crickets.

If i know my scorps are hungry and will take down the cricket straight, i'll not disable the cricket hing legs. But if i wish to leave the crickets hanging around the enclosure for more then a day, i'll remove their hind legs. Reason is, a disabled cricket is more likely to evade at any slightest movement around them thus reducing the chance of it munching on a molting scorp. Again, this is my personal preference Smile

I prefer to feed with small to mid-sized crickets. Adult males make mating noises and adult females always try to lay eggs in the substrate whenever it finds suitable.

As for Centruroides vittatus, i do not have these beautiful specimens but if you ask me, i'll always keep 50% of their enclosure's substrate slightly moist. Just like how i keep my C.margaritatus as they both requires about 60-80% humidity. Centruroides margaritatus' caresheet

Hope it help Smile
GS
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Powerfeeding question   Powerfeeding question - Page 2 Empty7/8/2011, 12:18 pm

I always tear the wings off the crickets and cripple the females, sound mean and cruel, but they get LOUD, and I already had an explosion of baby crickets in a tiny container with my babycurus, luckily I moved him and the next day he molted, what timing!

I am guessing at the rate of feeding of my LQ he should molt within the next 2-3 weeks, I am just going off regular 'hot boxing/powerfeeding' statistics that I have seen from others who have sped up the growth process.

I think 5th instar will be enough for me to at least get him into a actual tank.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powerfeeding question   Powerfeeding question - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Powerfeeding question
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2