The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Moving with Scorpions

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Moving with Scorpions Empty
PostSubject: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/10/2008, 1:20 pm

In less than a month I'll be moving to another state. I have 12 scorpions, 9 tarantulas, 4 centipedes, 1 millipede, god knows how many cockroaches, a leopard gecko and two rats I need to take with me. The trip should only take 2-4 days so I was wondering what would be the best way to move them. I'll be driving so I was planning to deli cup everything but the rats (they have a carrier and a little cage). How would you guys move your collection in the same situation?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/10/2008, 1:29 pm

I'd delicup everything in damp paper towels like you would if you were shipping them, and pack the delicups into a cardboard box so they can't move around.

The roaches, I'd put all of them into a kritter keeper with lots of toilet paper tubes and paper towels, then put a layer or two of plastic wrap over the top and then put the KK lid on. They should be ok if it doesn't get too warm (but if you have a large enough delicup, I'd use that instead).
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/10/2008, 2:04 pm

I agree with Mike put them as if you were shipping them.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/10/2008, 2:06 pm

The roaches are in a vivarium set up so I have no idea how many are in there. I think I'm just going to keep them in the tank and put a towel over it so they don't cook.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/10/2008, 2:48 pm

Is it glass? I was thinking of the KK / deli idea so that if someone drops a box en route, it doesn't shatter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/10/2008, 5:25 pm

Now I don't know what the weather is like where you are and where you are going... but your animals need specific temps or a little cooler. Be mindful not to crank the cars AC up and freeze the inverts, or leave them all in the car for rest stops in full sun or even ambient temps that will be too hot.
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/10/2008, 10:05 pm

I'm going to definitely watch the temps for them. So the deli cup with paper towels is a good plan?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/10/2008, 10:15 pm

That should be your best bet. And if you put everything inside an insulated cooler as Thaedion suggested then it should keep their temps stable.
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/10/2008, 10:46 pm

the states seem to be a very fun place, moving to another state takes literally days. o.O
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/10/2008, 11:19 pm

It's a big place. Very Happy

My stepdad never really understood why my mom wasn't impressed with England's "big open field" areas until he saw eastern Oregon. (Oregon is almost twice the size of England, and the eastern half is all but empty.)
Back to top Go down
_Nagash_
Centruroides
_Nagash_

Number of posts : 233
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty5/13/2008, 3:53 am

You should give the centipeds a humidity source, like a damp paper towel or something similar. The T`s are fine as long as you don`t cook og freeze them to death.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Moving with Scorpions   Moving with Scorpions Empty

Back to top Go down

Moving with Scorpions
Page 1 of 1