The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread

Go down 
+4
**GS**
pluto
Streettrash
Heckboy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-06-16

The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/18/2011, 10:25 pm

So here's my first P. Imperator, chilling in its new home.
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00111

Nearly as I can figure, I have a sub-adult female, going by these photos (taken while crawling upside down on the wire lid)
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00114
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00115

And here she(?) is hanging out by the coconut hide, seems to like that corner
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00116
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00117
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00118

I have yet to get around to naming this thing, but I'm in no hurry - I'd like to get to know its personality first. Smile

Last edited by Heckboy on 8/26/2011, 3:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/18/2011, 10:36 pm

Hard to tell for sure from those shots, but looks female to me. Males have an oval shaped genital operculum, and females are more heart shaped. Pectines on males are also more feathery looking.

Here's a reference for you. CLICK
Back to top Go down
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/18/2011, 10:43 pm

Streettrash wrote:
Hard to tell for sure from those shots, but looks female to me. Males have an oval shaped genital operculum, and females are more heart shaped. Pectines on males are also more feathery looking.

Here's a reference for you. CLICK
Thanks.
Yeah, I compared it to the reference photos, and the pectines definitely say "female", but the operculum looks pretty oval-shaped to me, which is where my slight doubt comes in.
I don't know if it'll be more obvious with the next moult... my kids are all over me to name this thing NOW lol.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/18/2011, 10:51 pm

Could be. The operculum is the most reliable way of sexing them. The female operculum will have a very distinct point at the bottom, and there will be little triangles next to the point. I'm sure you noticed that in the photo's. As it says, this should be apparent from instar 4 and on, so unless your scorp is under an inch the operculum should have it's adult shape. It is possible that the pectines will not fully be formed until it's a sexually mature adult though.

Welcome to the forum by the way!
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/19/2011, 2:34 am

very nice sub adult Panzer! Try to post a pcture of the underside if you want help. What about, Blacky? No? Too obvious? Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/23/2011, 2:26 am

Now that I finally got a decent pic of her underside (not easy - maybe she's modest, lol), she's clearly a she...
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00210

And a couple of bonus shots - just because. Smile

Lounging in the "sun"...
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00119

I like this shot for a good view of the eyes and mouthparts...
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00120

And the enclosure.... got the idea for the DIY PVC pipe clips on this very site.
The "vegetation" came from a dollar store - $1.25 for the plastic grape vine, $1.25 for a pack of 9 suction cups with hooks.
The tank was somebody's throwaway (small leak near the top - not an issue here!)
The water dish and skull were stuff I already had.
The coconut hide is DIY - cheaper to just buy a coconut and make this than to buy it at the pet shop. Plus I got to eat the coconut. Very Happy
The lid is likewise DIY. And I even thought to put a little tab on one end for ease of lifting...
The only thing that really cost anything (besides the scorpion) was the lamp, and I love built-in dimmer switch; allows the leeway of a larger, hotter bulb - you can just turn it down if it's a bit much.
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00211
The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00212
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/23/2011, 2:48 am

nice one! Practical, large and economic. I would add more substrate though
Back to top Go down
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/23/2011, 2:58 am

pluto wrote:
nice one! Practical, large and economic. I would add more substrate though

Yeah, thought about that.
This is as much as I had at the time though (leftover from the kids' hermit crabs), since I wanted the setup more or less done before I got the scorp.
She hasn't even attempted to burrow yet, but I intend to build a false bottom setup soon anyways. Then she can have a nice deep sandbox to play in (figuratively, of course).
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/23/2011, 2:59 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/23/2011, 4:37 am

Nice setup you have there. Gorgeous looking Emp too Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/23/2011, 9:32 am

Nice set up Smile beautiful female emp Smile +1 on the substrate though deffo need 4-6" in there Smile
Back to top Go down
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/25/2011, 2:24 am

Thanks guys - she is rather pretty, isn't she?
And that false bottom setup is done now. She finally has that nice deep sandbox to play in. Pics here:
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t11p225-show-off-your-enclosures
Back to top Go down
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty6/30/2011, 3:46 pm

May I ask what wattage bulb you are using and how often? What temps are you getting?
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty7/4/2011, 2:01 pm

Annababe, I have a similar emperor set up using a 10 gal tank. I use a 75W IR bulb on a dimmer.
According to the box, the bulb has the following heat rating: 96.8F @ 6", 87.8F @ 12",
82.4F @ 18". I dim the bulb down to obtain around 88F on bulb side of the tank during the
day. At night, this temp drops down to around 84F. I live at the south end of SF Bay, so the
temps here are much cooler than in Tucson. We're having a heat wave right now: the mercury
is expected to hit 88F Smile .
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty7/4/2011, 2:04 pm

Heckboy, nice set up and great looking scorpion. I'm glad you found the clip idea useful.
Back to top Go down
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty8/26/2011, 2:13 am

Annababe wrote:
May I ask what wattage bulb you are using and how often? What temps are you getting?
Mine's a 50 watt IR bulb and it gets between 86-88 on the hot side turned up to full on cooler days. It's actually dimmed right down atm, since it's after 11 PM as I'm typing and it's about 77 in the house with all fans on.

And thank you shebeen for that idea. It's awesome, looks cool, and cost nothing. I very much like to make/modify stuff rather than buy it whenever possible. Drives the family crazy. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty8/26/2011, 2:23 am

Just wanted to share this pic of my 10 year old holding the scorp.
Hell of a time getting focused, since she just wouldn't sit still. The scorpion, I mean, not the kid - she was totally chill. Very Happy

The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00410
Back to top Go down
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty8/22/2012, 2:30 am

Adding a new pic to the thread of the boys just hanging out - thought this shot looked really cool with the IR light.

The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Dsc00410
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty8/22/2012, 5:52 am

Brave girl you got there, i meant, your 10 year old Smile

& yes, that a great shot under IR lighting.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty8/22/2012, 11:40 am

GS wrote:

+1.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Heckboy
Pandinus
Heckboy

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty8/24/2012, 1:08 pm

GS wrote:

She completely loves the scorps. Although she's a bit of an arachnophobe, strangely enough. Working on slowly curing that though.
She wants to be a vet, and she does have a certain unique way with most animals. Not only does she love handling the scorp, she wants one (at least) of her own.
And honestly, now that I seem to have a gravid female on my hands, I may give her a couple of her own.
I know for a fact that she can and will care for them well enough - she keeps hermit crabs successfully.
As easy as they are to keep, they're actually slightly more maintenance and work than Emps.
Temperature and humidity are about the same, except you don't have to change scorpion food daily, nor have to mix up saltwater for them along with fresh water.
She makes me proud. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread   The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Heckboy Scorpion Photo Thread
Page 1 of 1