The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)

Go down 
+4
pluto
spinnin_tom
Scorpioooo
Joe
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-06-18

New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty
PostSubject: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 2:36 pm

Hi everyone, I have a big 4 foot home made wooden vivarium I built for a snake that's currently not being used so I was thinking if I turned it onto it's back would it be O.K to use for a community of scorpions or maybe even one large scorpion?
If I flip it on it's back it will be 4 foot long and 18inches wide and 18inches high, would it simply be too big, even for a big community of small scorpions?
If you guys, the experts, think this is definitely do-able what species would you recommend and how should I go about heating and decor?

Keep in mind that I will make is as natural as possible and I will provide plenty of hides and decor so it's not one big open space, which is no good!
Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this,
Joe Smile
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 2:55 pm

can you post pictures of that tank. i would really like to see it
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:01 pm

nice pic btw.
is that an sa80?

are you in the republic or northern ireland and do you have dwal if it is the latter?
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:03 pm

Is the wood completely smooth and flat? Scorpions can climb a bit, just something to look out for when using wood.. most notably on the seems and corners from sawing..
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:10 pm

Hi Scorpio I have some old pictures of it so I'll dig them up for you and post them here shortly.
@Spinnin_tom, I'm in the Republic of Ireland, and are you on about my pic?!
@Pluto, the floor of the viv right now is plywood and the rest is what my Dad called ''acreplast'' it's white and very smooth! So when it's turned over one wall will be plywood and the floor and the other wall will be this smooth stuff, I'm hoping they can't climb it if it's 18 inches high but I can modify it if necessary maybe by adding a lip so if it does climb up it won't get out...I'll have to investigate that. Otherwise it's totally water and escape proof!
Pictures up soon 'cos I'm horrible at explaining things!
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:14 pm

yeah i was talking about your pic.
you don't really have any restrictions on what species you can keep. in britain, all buthid scorpions are dwa. pluto is good with buthids. i'm sure he'll answer an Q's. a lot of buthids are very communal. you could try 4/5 adult Pandinus, excpet they need 80 percent humidity.. would that do anything to the wood?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:17 pm

Hi welcome to the forum Smile

i would say also you would prly have to have a deserty species in it too due to the high humidty needed by most forest species not sure how the wood would hold out in damp conditions, other than that i think it should be fine Smile
Back to top Go down
Cyanide
Babycurus
Cyanide

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2011-05-29

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:34 pm

You could seal the wood so it isn't effect by the moisture. I'd use water seal and stick plastic panels inside and silicone round the edges and corners to make it water proof. A community of emperor scorpions is an impressive display.
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:39 pm

impressive for those of us who can't keep buthids Sad
emps are a very nice communal species. you wouldn't see them in a 4 foot viv for long
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:46 pm

@Spinnin_tom, yeah the whole DWA situation in the R.O.I is diabolical at the moment! And as for the picture, that's my favourite character holding a P-90, what kind, I have no idea!
I also didn't even think of the humidity aspect of it (silly me) I suppose I will have to go with desert species for this project as it'll be easier for me that way, plus I was kinda looking forward to having a sand-filled desert set-up to look more natural Smile
@Bex, thanks for the welcome and the wood has been on in the past with high humidity but I think I'm gonna go with a desert-type set-up
@Cyanide, emperor scorpions are by far my favourite scorp and I do hope to have a nice natural-type display sometime soon!
So guys, any ideas on a good desert species that can be kept communally? or a non-communal sp that is large enough not to be completely dwarfed by this set-up!!
Which brings up another Question....do scorpions enjoy a small enclosure or would they do better with more space? Thanks!

p.s I cannot find the pictures and as the viv is currently being kept as a storage cupboard for all my equipment I'll try clear it out and get some photos. Smile
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:50 pm

Being in Ireland is going to severely limit your options for a communal desert species. Most are Buthidae. With a ton of space you could potentially keep some less communal scorps in lower numbers. They'll be communal until they aren't anymore.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:53 pm

I know:( There is the Hamm reptile expo in Germany, I'm not sure what that's like for Scorpions but I'll take a look anyways as I'm going in December!
I'll look up Buthidae now and see what is available to me!
Thanks Smile
Joe
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:55 pm

I have heard of some people keeping vaejovid scorps communally. Specifically Vaejovis confusus, and Paruroctonus boreus. I have both but keep them each individually. Maybe I'll get out and catch some more P. boreus and throw them in together to see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Cyanide
Babycurus
Cyanide

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 3:59 pm

I didn't think the republic was effected by the DWA?

I was underthe impression if you can buy it you can keep it there? I'm probably wrong.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 4:03 pm

You old worlders and your crazy politics. Not that ours are any more sane. We got all your homeless and criminals for our colonies.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 4:04 pm

Cyanide wrote:

I was underthe impression if you can buy it you can keep it there? I'm probably wrong.

im sure some guy told me that before coz he was being given buthidae species from another friend in ireland from a research center he worked in
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 4:07 pm

So you CAN keep Buthids in Ireland?
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 4:08 pm

You can keep them all communal (Andro), just have to remember that someday you will have a casualty...

1: one is old, weak, sick or dying. It will get eaten and attacked
2: lack of food
3: lack of room
4: lack of hides
5: mating rivals (they wont kill each other)
6: the occasional psycho going bonzai on everything that moves

All these variables will eventually get you a dead scorpion. In optimal, settled circumstances no scorpion will attack another.

Parabuthus are supposed to be more communal but tbh I dont see a difference, when confronted irl.

Havent had a casualty as of yet.

Will be having communal tanks from each containing 10 scorpions and I will be able to tell you more then.

I think It would be much easier if you are starting out with scorpions to put the big monsters together (Pandinus, Hets, etc) If it is marinegrade plywood, it will not deform. You can always acrylkit the sides closed.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
Joe
Pandinus
Joe

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 4:32 pm

Just to clarify, you can keep ANYTHING in Ireland.....ANYTHING....name it and find some nut selling it and it's yours!!! Razz

I did a bit of googling and Hadrurus arizonensis and S. Mauras look really nice to me!! I'm having trouble finding ones that are available to me that are CB and don't require much humidity!
@Pluto, thanks for the information Smile
I think I might go for a forest-type enclosure if I don't find any suitable desert species and go with some P. imperator, I'll have to do quite a bit of work in the viv to make it suitable for a humid environment though!! Bit I think it will be worth it in the end!
Joe
Back to top Go down
Cyanide
Babycurus
Cyanide

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 4:38 pm

Definitely worth it.
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 5:45 pm

Cyanide wrote:

i thought that as well.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 8:45 pm

Well you are going to have a hard time finding any captive born H. arizonesis at all as they are very difficult to raise successfully i captivity. Sub adults ad adults are pretty hardy, but the young instars are very hard to raise.

Check out some Hottentotta species. They are pretty cool desert scorps, pretty ferocious hunters, and most can be kept communally. I really like Hottentotta judaicus myself.

As for keeping tropical forest scorpions, my preference is Heterometrus. Many of them grow to impressive sizes like Pandinus, but are a lot more active and aggressive. Look at H. spinifer, or H. laoticus. Both are pretty well established in the hobby. H. swammerdami are also very impressive scorpions.
Back to top Go down
cbohn
Pandinus
cbohn

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 10:29 pm

streettrash-lol.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 10:39 pm

You lol at my name sir?
Back to top Go down
cbohn
Pandinus
cbohn

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty6/18/2011, 11:34 pm

at ur last first page comment. im alil late
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)   New member, have an idea for a cool little project :) Empty

Back to top Go down

New member, have an idea for a cool little project :)
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next