The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Heard of a Dune Gecko?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
junosama
Centruroides

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Heard of a Dune Gecko?   6/7/2011, 5:33 pm

Went to my pet store today and saw a Dune Gecko for sale. Was light beige, sandy looking and supposedly only grows to 2-3 inches. Can't seem to find much info on them maybe its more commonly called something else?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
caolan159
Pandinus

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: Heard of a Dune Gecko?   6/30/2011, 4:46 pm

They are more commonly known as Dwarf Sand Geckos, I believe. Im pretty sure we used to get something very similar when I lived in Saudi. I think there are about three or so species availbale for hobbyists, of Stenodactylus genus. They are S. doriae, S. petrii and S. sthenodactylus These are quite small, and are used to desert conditions. They are nocturnal, and they arent really suitable for rough handling as they are very fragile and their tail's do come off easily. From what I've read/seen, a temperature range from 75F to 85F (24C to 29C) during the day works well. Additionally, offer a small hot spot that reaches between 95F and 100F (35C and 38C). At night, the ambient temperature in the cage can fall to between 65F and 75F (18C and 24C). I think that incandescent light bulbs work best to achieve these temperatures, however heat pads or heat tape may be used instead. Avoid hot rocks and other dangerous heating devices. Established dwarf sand geckos are hardy in regards to the temperature at which they are kept, and cope well with temperatures temporarily outside of their ideal temperature range.
Hope this has helped!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Heard of a Dune Gecko?   6/30/2011, 4:56 pm

Now this is an answer!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
Sponsored content