The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Babies' First Molt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Penny
Centruroides

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2010-11-25

PostSubject: Babies' First Molt   6/6/2011, 2:50 pm

Alright, so the scorplings finally molted and I went out to go get some pinheads. La dee dah, came back, put a pinhead in the cup with one of the scorplings, the the little scorpling ran in circles frantically for dear life. Sad Obviously not ready. But the thing is, Jade left most of them (some were still on her back) in a corner.. I was worried that one of the two large crickets that were in there would try to pull something funny... or that the inevitable fruit flies that are invading this NYC apartment would pester them... or theta they'd get hungry and eat each other. Plus, this brave little warrior was running around all merrily like he was ready to fend for himself.. but he panicked when faced with a pinhead. Sad

So should I just leave them in the tank for Jade to hopefully take care of or try feeding them dead prey?
How can I kill the pinheads without squishing them? (drowning? maybe?) Or do I need to buy dead, large crickets?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/6/2011, 3:11 pm

First things first Penny

If they just came off the mom's back, it means they moulted and they need to harden out. This might take a week. Don't panick. They survive that timespan without food, EASILY.

I know it is exciting to try to get them their first meal. But at this point in their life it is of no concern. Wait a week, try to feed them pinheads again. They might ferociously take them.

If you want to feed dead crickets, just take big ones, the mother will crush them and the leftovers will be eaten by your scorplings...

No need to kill small crickets, it is a pain.. and they go bad very fast.

Take out free running big crickets...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
Penny
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/6/2011, 4:05 pm

Alright, thanks. And I don't mind waiting a week. xD I can be patient.

There's only two big crickets in there... Should I really take them out? What if Jade gets hungry?
Oh, and what should I do with the little guy who wants to be independent? I tried getting him to go back into the pile with his brothers and sisters but he seems unwelcome... maybe they don't know it's him? Should I keep him separated?
(I just have a feeling he's male... I know I can't tell though Razz)

Last edited by Penny on 6/6/2011, 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
*~BEX~*
Administrator

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/6/2011, 4:11 pm

Take them put or head crush them, I'm waiting for our Baird to eat too they came of mum a few days ago, and found a cricketvibha crush ( but obviously not well enough) had come back to life and having a munch on a babie Sad

https://youtu.be/Rq69ZvELDoM
Twitter Bex @R32BEX
Pinterest username - helly3ah
https://www.pinterest.com/helly3ah/my-pets/
Guild Wars 2 - BBEXX.9042

Click here for Pictures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penny
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/6/2011, 4:25 pm

*~BEX~* wrote:
Take them put or head crush them, I'm waiting for our Baird to eat too they came of mum a few days ago, and found a cricketvibha crush ( but obviously not well enough) had come back to life and having a munch on a babie Sad

Awh. Sad Yeah I'm trying not to get sensitive about the few that haven't made it so far because I know it's difficult and I can't make them all survive. I've been pouring water in there obsessively trying to maintain humidity and everything... the first one died.. well.. out of stupidity really (had himself wedged on on his side which evidently is a bad position for a scorpling). Then some of them didn't molt... and got eaten by maggots (all of which just happened over night while I was asleep). D: Which was kind of disgusting but I manned up and went on to eat breakfast.
It's especially sad because I went through a lot of trouble trying to take care of the ones that Jade left behind... Sad Checking on them twice a day, keeping their little cup moist, etc... plus a few were covered in scorpion placenta or whatever it was and I very, very carefully cleaned them off with the aid of a mechanical pencil. So they were like my little babies after Jade left them behind... then I find them dead and being eaten by maggots. :/ I had a bottle cap for them to climb on to molt (it was the best thing I had) but I don't know what happened... they looked fine before I went to bed; they didn't get on the bottle cap but they were piled up together and I assumed they knew what they were doing... I really thought they were going to molt and be fine. T_T But alas, this world is cruel... and I am going to get a mean trap for the demonic and heartless fruit flies that laid their eggs in there!

Also there was a lid loosely on top of their cup but Jade pulled it off and moved the cup. :/ She sat by it why her scorpions molted so i didn't want to anger her by moving it.

Last edited by Penny on 6/6/2011, 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/6/2011, 4:27 pm

They all died?
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/6/2011, 4:30 pm

pluto wrote:
They all died?

Just the ones I had in the cup. :/ Honestly I don't know what to blame... I don't think the fruit flies would have laid eggs in there unless they were already dead but I really don't know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/6/2011, 4:32 pm

Ah well cant blame yourself. Time to move on and take care of these :-)
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/6/2011, 4:37 pm

Yes... and seek revenge on the fruit flies heh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
*~BEX~*
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/6/2011, 4:41 pm

Yeah you can't blame yrself we lost quite a lot of ours the mum ate loads which appeared to be deformed so it's out of yr hands really

Twitter Bex @R32BEX

Click here for Pictures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penny
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/20/2011, 5:20 pm

Ok how do I know when theyre ready to be seperated? It's been almost two weeks since the molt and theyre darker but not black yet..so not sure if theyve hardened enough. I had only been able to see one or two of them lately... i know theyre good at hiding but i became worried thar Jade was feasting on them and was going to try taking them out today.

Jade was Underworld grade angry. She went made. I was careful and managed to move stuff out with getting stung, which I now feel was stupid because I can see there's still a handful in there... couldnt count because she was quick to cover them again but it looks like theyre all still there.

Soo, wait, i guess... it upsets me that theres an increasing amount of mold growing in there from trying to keep that cheap substrate wet but I cant clean it until everyone is out! D: I had a couple pinheads in there that no one caught so im gonna start offering Jade dead crickets.

I am really relieved that everyones alive though, despite being apologenic about the unnecessary stress I caused them. >.<
Back to top Go down
View user profile
*~BEX~*
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/20/2011, 6:10 pm

You can seperate now might be easier to remove jade first then the babies Smile

Twitter Bex @R32BEX

Click here for Pictures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Penny
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   6/20/2011, 9:00 pm

*~BEX~* wrote:
You can seperate now might be easier to remove jade first then the babies Smile

Yeah that's what I was going to do but then I second guessed whether or not they were ready at all.
especially after what happened last time. Sad
I think Jade deserves more trust than I gave her. She hasnt eaten a single one; i counted.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Babies' First Molt   

Back to top Go down

Babies' First Molt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1