The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-04-15

Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty
PostSubject: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/3/2008, 11:34 am

Hi,

can anyone help me to sex a friends Hadrurus arizonensis with this pic of the pectines? I'm thinking it's a female, she thinks male.

Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) 11859510

Last edited by IHeartMantids on 5/3/2008, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved to sexing forum)
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/3/2008, 11:49 am

I don't know upside down heart? Isn't that typically male in P. imperator. Mine has the same nic in the pectine I wonder if that is sexual dimorphism.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/3/2008, 11:59 am

Definitely female.

My reasoning: >>link<<
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/3/2008, 12:03 pm

Thanks Mike! These pics were really helpfull! I have found something like that on the ATS board but the pics were not quite as good as the ones on AB. cheers

And thanks for moving my thread, I totally did not see that there's a sexing section Laughing
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/3/2008, 12:08 pm

No worries. Glad I could help. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/3/2008, 1:09 pm

Here is an excerpt from a post by Kari McWest:

"...Female... Look at the pectines where they join the body. The "piece" from which they articulate is called the "basal piece". Look at the angle of the pectine from the basal piece to the first tooth, then down the edges of the teeth, you will see that it forms an obtuse angle, roughly 120° and are parallel to each other:"

"Male... Notice the pectinal teeth are larger (both of these are adults, mind you), giving the pectines a more "fluffy" appearance, as some of us say, and the basal edges are acute, roughly 90° and often overlap, depending on the species, sometimes even extending beyond the legs and visible from above:"

Link To Post... No longer exists No

So I too would agree... Female ♀

Last edited by Thaedion on 5/4/2008, 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/3/2008, 2:43 pm

Third opinion:...male...JK female for sure.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/4/2008, 4:01 am

Thanks for your opinions and for your help!
But the link Thaedion posted doesn't work any longer. It says that the forum doesn't exist. Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/4/2008, 8:22 am

That was a link to the old scorpoforum, then it turned into a reptile forum... now I guess the owner took it down completely...
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/5/2008, 5:28 pm

Yeah he did LOL.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)   Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request) Empty5/5/2008, 6:27 pm

I have found the pics Kari used to explain the angle of the pectines on the ATS board. Combine the pics with the text Thaedion posted and you have the now deleted post by Kari Smile

Sexing scorpions
Back to top Go down

Hadrurus arizonensis sexing (request)
Page 1 of 1