The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Something which baffles me....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

Something which baffles me.... Empty
PostSubject: Something which baffles me....   Something which baffles me.... Empty4/30/2008, 11:30 am

http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14769&st=0&gopid=171705&#entry171705

I came across this L.Scutilus guide on VenomList and I'm kinda baffled with what the author stated bout the humidity and ventilation.

humidity: 80-90% adult, +/-75% for slings below 3rd instar
Room: very moist for adult but only that with high ventilation for slings in lil 3 inch tall by 1 inch diameter viles r bottles does well for them.

Why the high ventilation if u need high humidity? I'm pretty sure that high ventilation decreases humidity?

Also, the slings need lower humidity according to what he wrote and I'm pretty sure those vial bottles retain humidity well.

It seems contradicting. =/
Back to top Go down
freeman
Centruroides
freeman

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Something which baffles me....   Something which baffles me.... Empty4/30/2008, 11:36 am

a little confusing indeed
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Something which baffles me....   Something which baffles me.... Empty4/30/2008, 11:58 am

Yes, slings suually need more humidity.
um Maybe they have dislexia and wrote everything backwards.
Back to top Go down
Lokal
Breeder

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2008-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Something which baffles me....   Something which baffles me.... Empty4/30/2008, 6:15 pm

With high humidity and low ventilation, you get lots of mold. Some scorpions really need high ventilation or they die really easily.
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Something which baffles me....   Something which baffles me.... Empty4/30/2008, 10:10 pm

From your experience Lokal, do bark scorpions require high humidity, specifically Lychas Sp.?

And also, how do you explain the lower humidity for slings as compared to adults?
Back to top Go down
Lokal
Breeder

PostSubject: Re: Something which baffles me....   Something which baffles me.... Empty4/30/2008, 10:54 pm

High humidity for most bark scorps. Especially something like Lychas or Tityus, but it doesn't have to get too unreasonable. I would say it can be anywhere from 65-85%. As far as your second question I believe that could be a typo, because all the young in which I have encountered needed more humidity because the are more susceptible of dehydration.

Brandon
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Something which baffles me....   Something which baffles me.... Empty4/30/2008, 11:00 pm

Thanks alot Brandon! I have my 4th instars in a 4 inch tall,3 inch diameter delicup with 6 screw-size holes across the body and another 6 on the cover..does that equal to reasonable ventilation for Lychas?

The soil is moist, not sopping wet. Am I good to go?
Back to top Go down
Lokal
Breeder

PostSubject: Re: Something which baffles me....   Something which baffles me.... Empty5/1/2008, 2:24 am

I would say that is perfect. The only thing is make sure the holes are not too big. Scorpions are able to seriously squeeze into a hole 1/8 of their body. It is fascinating.
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Something which baffles me....   Something which baffles me.... Empty5/1/2008, 2:30 am

Alright, thanks for the tip again.

Lastly, why do Lychas Sp. require more ventilation than Heterometrus Sp. considering the fact that they both come from rainforests in the same region. My bet would be that Heterometrus Sp. are burrowers and thus can withstand low ventilation while Lychas Sp. are arboreal and hence would be exposed to more airflow. Correct me I'm wrong.

I'm a deep thinker and I often want to know the reason behind things. :p

Also, what type of ventilation does B.Jacksoni thrive in?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something which baffles me....   Something which baffles me.... Empty

Back to top Go down

Something which baffles me....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpions In General-
Jump to: