The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

newts and semi aquatic frogs

Go down 
+2
takos
spinnin_tom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2011-04-13

newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty
PostSubject: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/25/2011, 3:46 pm

hi everyone. a while ago i bought two iberian newts, unaware of the size they grow to, i put them in a small tank with a floating tutrle dock.
about a month ater they both died.
does anybody know why this happened? it was unexpected as the water was all good and they were ating
plus, can anybody recommend a small salamander/newt/frog to me?
thanks
Tom
Back to top Go down
takos
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-04-17

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/25/2011, 3:54 pm

i have no idea...they can be several things...i see btw that you are interesting in many animals..you have to raed up some thing and then buy the animal and dont randomly but animals Wink an easy newt to buy is fire belly newt.i have 1 and i love her!!she is really cute ^^
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/25/2011, 4:04 pm

believe me, i do research a lot before buying something. i was missinformed about the size they grew, but yes, there are occasdions i buy things on a whim Smile
Back to top Go down
takos
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2011-04-17

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/25/2011, 4:08 pm

nice to hear that...i just say you have to keep your animals in the best possible conditions you can and dont just have them Wink
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/25/2011, 4:23 pm

exactly... try telling that to some people on youtube, with videos of their happy reptile rooms, with fully grown snakes in tiny little boxes etc What a Face
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/25/2011, 4:26 pm

and this is research lol. i'm just weighing up wheter to get an amphibian or an emp
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/25/2011, 5:31 pm

The water may have done something--what type of water did you use? Also, at what temperature did you keep them? As for getting an amphibian or emp, let's start with what you're looking for in a pet.
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/26/2011, 11:02 am

i am looking for something in a tank, something interesting. the emp will be fine as i have a clearseal tank, just need substrate heat mat etc, amphibians not so much i guess, just enquiring.
the water was tap water, treated with aquarium tap safe, left to stand to let the clhorine go, after the chloramine (sp?) went. the nitrite/nitrate/ammonia was 0 or as close as it's going to get.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/26/2011, 12:05 pm

Most scorpions are lot easier too keep happy than amphibians I've found. I'm having a nightmare at the moment keeping my salamanders cool enough.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/26/2011, 2:01 pm

i think i could agree with anythng is a lot easier too keep happy than amphibians lol. and cool enough? how warm are they?
i think emp or whip scorp it is
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/26/2011, 3:30 pm

Most salamanders have to be kept cool. With the recent hot weather and the beardies, scorps and T's heating it's been getting way to warm in their enclosure. I've been doing silly things like keeping water in the fridge to mist and fill their water bowl with Laughing

Can't go wrong with an Emp.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty4/26/2011, 3:43 pm

god, that's a lot of hard work, rightly so about the emp Jamie
Back to top Go down
emz
Pandinus
emz

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty8/10/2011, 1:44 pm

If you're looking for an amphibian i'd recommend a fire belly toad. They look pretty cool and are really easy to keep. I have two that i've had for way over a year now. I also have a fire belly newt, a red spotted and two spanish ribbed newts. All pretty easy to keep/handle.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty8/10/2011, 3:02 pm

my sister keeps these and they are sooo cute specially the fire belly newt so would deffo recommend those little crabs are cute too Smile
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty8/10/2011, 4:23 pm

emz wrote:
If you're looking for an amphibian i'd recommend a fire belly toad. They look pretty cool and are really easy to keep. I have two that i've had for way over a year now. I also have a fire belly newt, a red spotted and two spanish ribbed newts. All pretty easy to keep/handle.

i've got over wanting phibs now Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: newts and semi aquatic frogs   newts and semi aquatic frogs Empty

Back to top Go down

newts and semi aquatic frogs
Page 1 of 1