The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New babies

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
darkjohn20
Pandinus

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-06-13

New babies Empty
PostSubject: New babies   New babies Empty4/14/2011, 7:52 pm

I just came home about an hour ago and I saw that my female had around 8 babies on her. I have looked around on the forum for information about caring for the babies, but I wanted to make sure of some things.

First off, should I separate the mother from the male scorpion in the same tank as her? I'm not sure if he's the father or not because as far as I know, he's still a child.

Also, how long does it take for the babies to come off of the mother's back, and should I keep them all separate from each other?

Any detailed guides or additional information would be helpful. I don't have pictures as of yet because I didn't want to scare her by taking the top of the tank off.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

New babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New babies   New babies Empty4/14/2011, 9:25 pm

yeah seperate the male from female, and you can take the babies from the mom at 2nd or even 3rd instar, whenever they come off her back
Back to top Go down
darkjohn20
Pandinus

New babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New babies   New babies Empty4/14/2011, 9:33 pm

If I wanted to leave the male and female in the same tank, could I just separate it in half with some sort of thin sheet of something? If so, what could I use? I don't have the room for another tank, and I don't have big enough containers for a whole separate home.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

New babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New babies   New babies Empty4/14/2011, 9:36 pm

plexiglass or anything that keeps one from getting to the other side, or you can buy a medium kritter keeper for 10 bucks and stick her in there for a bit, you will eventually have to seperate the babies out anyways, so you might want a medium KK anyways
Back to top Go down
darkjohn20
Pandinus

New babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New babies   New babies Empty4/14/2011, 9:41 pm

I'm not familiar with kritter keepers. Would something like this be good enough to use? Also, what type of heat source should I use for something like that? Currently I just have a single heat lamp hooked up to my tank, along with a lame heat pad on the back left corner. If possible I'd like to not have to buy a bunch of heat sources, so what do you recommend I use to satisfy ALL of the scorpions I'll be separating?
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

New babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New babies   New babies Empty4/14/2011, 9:49 pm

Kirrter keeper looks like that just taller, samething, just use the heatlamp on it, just put it off to the side and you should be fine, they will do ok in room temp, just keep humidity up and if you have 'off' heat source from the light it should bump it up a few degrees
Back to top Go down
darkjohn20
Pandinus

New babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New babies   New babies Empty4/14/2011, 9:55 pm

What do you suggest for height of container? I found a 14.5" L X 8.75" W X 9.75" H. Would that be sufficient for the mother and the babies?

Also, can I put the babies in a single large KK or do I need to separate them all from eachother? At what time can I introduce them to eachother again?
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

New babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New babies   New babies Empty4/14/2011, 10:11 pm

thats enough for the mother and the babies when you split them up, you can leave them together for a while. when i bought mine he was in a small KK under a hide with like 15 of his brood stacked on top of each other.

Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

New babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New babies   New babies Empty4/15/2011, 1:06 pm

Congratulations! Mine gave birth about 2 days ago and I suspect about 20 in her litter.
Back to top Go down
darkjohn20
Pandinus

New babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New babies   New babies Empty4/25/2011, 6:17 pm

A few more things as time goes on:

1. My male scorpion's left claw looks damaged. He doesn't use it when catching food, and it looks like the top and bottom half don't match up when closed, meaning one is more forward than the other. What, if anything, should I do about this?

2. I have this stuff here called "Cricket Drink" which is an "Ideal water source for all sizes of crickets, tarantulas, and scorpions" It is a gel-like substance that contains "water, hydrolyzed polyacrylamide, potassium sorbate, and artificial color". Is this safe to feed to my crickets/scorpions, or should I stick with my tap water? The only use I'd have for this is feeding it to my babies so they don't drown in actual water, however if this isn't safe I can just use like a sponge, right?

It's been 10 days and I've only lost two babies so far! There's about 20 left! Smile

Edit: Pictures!
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img850/1779/scorpionhd1.jpg
https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/img192/2145/scorpionhd2.jpg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New babies Empty
PostSubject: Re: New babies   New babies Empty

Back to top Go down

New babies
Page 1 of 1