The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!

Go down 
+2
Venom
Umar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Umar
Pandinus
Umar

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-04-26

Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty
PostSubject: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/28/2008, 3:47 pm

Hi all thanks for the great advise in the previous thread

I found myself with some time off today so i jumped in the car and headed into the Atlas Mountains near Fes! wow it was amazing i saw loads of animals centipedes, giant cricket locust things scratch and some wierd black and yellow (bright yellow, like the smilies) crickets Question and ALOT of odd spiders Shocked
but i found out some interesting things firstly some local farmers showed me one plant here that if you pull it up and chew the root for a bit then offer it to a burrow entrance, if there is a scorpion inside he will come out for the chewed root Shocked pretty amazing here is a pic of the plant

Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Image000

The bad news is i only managed to find one scorpion No and sadly he was already dead before i got there Sad but i did take photos of him to have some idea of what is in the area cheers now this one was about 5 cm in length and the locals told me this species grows to twice that size so roughly 10 cm which seems rather big Shocked and they say he is one of the less dangerous species that if stung by Suspect with doctors treatment you should be ok No hehehe
anyways here are the photos i took of him

hmmm having a problem posting photos Embarassed ok maybe i can email them to one of you guys and you can post them here or something really not having alot of luck with this and the internet connections here leave alot to be desired ???

anyways im heading back on sunday for a good look around and some of the farmers said they will keep any scorpions they find for me until saturday and as they usually kill them on site (the danger they pose to the farmers and especially young children) i might of actually saved some poor scorpions life Wink
so with luck i will update you all on sunday night Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
oh and any tips for finding them would be grate like areas to search? under rocks etc? should i dig up areas of ground? if so how deep etc any advise welcome, i was just looking under rocks becouse all the info i have read says give them a hide and all you guys use rocks slate etc. also do any of them hibernate at all as the locals say they are mainly out when its really really REALLY hot in summer hehe

Thanks guys

Umar sunny
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/28/2008, 4:40 pm

veneno773@yahoo.com
Give me pictures. Smile

You can upload them by clicking that button with the floppy and picture frame, click browse then look for the picture file
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/28/2008, 7:56 pm

Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Umar
Pandinus
Umar

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2008-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/30/2008, 5:08 am

i tried to host the pictures but my pc kept freezing ill send them to you when i get time venom thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/30/2008, 8:35 am

Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Dudes_10

Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Dudes_11

Last edited by Venom on 4/30/2008, 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/30/2008, 8:38 am

Some kind of Androctonus I'd guess, but not sure which species. It looks like it's been dead for a while.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/30/2008, 8:39 am

Another picture added
Back to top Go down
liette
Centruroides

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2008-02-25

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/30/2008, 9:04 am

Looks like its insides have been eaten.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/30/2008, 11:05 am

I've had a bunch of these found in the wild. Usually centipedes....nice looking scorp though you can still see some of the coloration.
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

Number of posts : 70
Registration date : 2008-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/30/2008, 11:06 am

I'm quite sure that it is a Buthus sp. It's not possible to tell you the exact species with these pics. But the only yellow Androctonus sp. recorded from Morocco is A.amoreuxi and the one on the pics does not look like A.amoreuxi..So definitely a Buthus sp. imo.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/30/2008, 11:07 am

I was thinking parabuthus...which i think is what you meant. But you have to remeber there are color forms.
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/30/2008, 11:36 am

There are no Parabuthus species in Morocco. And I'm sure that it is no color form of an Androctonus sp. The metasoma and tergit coloration tells me that it's not A.amoreuxi and the other Androc species in Morocco are all brown to black.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty4/30/2008, 6:05 pm

Androctonys species do come in different colors. I had a yellow morph of a. bicolor that died on me..... stupid scorp cost me a fortune.
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty5/1/2008, 7:02 am

A yellow morph of A.bicolor? Laughing That would be the first one I heard of...Do you have any pics of the metasoma of this specimen? I'm pretty sure that the ID is wrong. Perhaps you had the yellow morph of A.baluchicus.
I have kept every Androctonus species that's available in the hobby here in Europe. I can tell you by just looking at the pics that the metasoma and the telson do not fit to an Androctonus sp.

@Umar: If you photograph of a scorpion for identification try to take pics of the whole scorpion and close ups of the carapace and the lateral and ventral side of the metasoma.

Last edited by Skywalker on 5/1/2008, 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty5/1/2008, 7:43 pm

It was a bicolor...I dont have pics they were 2 Instar but I got them from a VERY trusted dealer. Rare indeed but I had certain entomologist ID it.
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty5/2/2008, 5:10 am

Ah I see...well 2.instars of A.bicolor, A.mauritanicus, P.transvaalicus, P.villosus black, ...... are yellow! But they get darker with each molt. My P.transvaalicus and P.villosus black turned darker at 3.instar and so did my A.mauritanicus.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty5/2/2008, 7:04 pm

Thats pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty5/2/2008, 7:52 pm

Hi,

here are two pics to show you the difference

Parabuthus transvaalicus 2.instar
Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! PICT6582_Parabuthus_transvillosus

Parabuthus transvaalicus 3.instar
Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! PICT7026
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty5/2/2008, 7:56 pm

LOL, unless you put them on Servimg.com I cant see them LOL. Sorry
Back to top Go down
Skywalker
Hadogenes
Skywalker

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty5/2/2008, 8:00 pm

I didn't know, sorry LOL
I hope you can see them now Wink

Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Pict6510

Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Pict7010
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty5/2/2008, 8:54 pm

My 4th instar was lighter than your second instar.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!   Searching For Scorpions in fes !!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Searching For Scorpions in fes !!!
Page 1 of 1