The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty
PostSubject: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 3:23 am

Just saw a promenade-a-deux for the first time.
I thought my M.Martensiis were as that's how they were sold to me, but I am having suspicions that they could actually be adults already. I haven't find in any source a way to distinguish sub-adults from adults.

Anyway, back to the action... They were on it for I guess 1.5h - 2h. With the male dragging the female all around. I didn't witness a sexual sting, however have of that time I was not at home as I had to drive my wife to work. They did not have a good surface for the spermatophore until I got back home, and I put them a small flat piece of rock (around 4x2cm) as that's the only thing I found. 5-10 minutes later, I saw the male depositing the spermatophore. The female was not for long over it, then followed a struggle, seemed as the female took control and was pushing the male away, and then they split.

I do hope something did happen and that they are both adults. If I see that she is getting bigger I will have the confirmation.

Couple of questions though, if indeed they are still subadults, would they make the mating ritual? And more importantly, would a subadult male be even able to deposit a spermatophore?

Last edited by DolbyR on 4/13/2011, 10:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 5:28 am

DolbyR wrote:
Couple of questions though, if indeed they are still subadults, would they make the mating ritual? And more importantly, would a subadult male be even able to deposit a spermatophore?

I believe only adults are able to perform the mating ritual. Males would only initiate a mating ritual when he sensed a "sexually ready" female. Imo, only adult males can deposit spermatophore.

Wish you luck for having a huge brood of M.Martensiis babies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 10:34 am

The "Action":

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP0907

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP0906

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP0911

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP0912

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP0913

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP0914

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP0915

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP0916

The Result:

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP0917

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP0920
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 10:38 am

Nice capture there bro!
I've never witness M.Martensiis' mating before. Thanks for posting it up.

& yeah.. definitely a lovely adult pair you have there! Gratz Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 10:40 am

I wanted to capture it on film, but of course my videocamera was out of battery No
But gladly I was working from home today so I had the chance to take atleast the pictures Smile
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 1:37 pm

Congrats! Wonder how long gestation is for these guys?
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 1:38 pm

Thanks.

IIRC, I've read somewhere it should be around 6 to 8 months.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 1:52 pm

Congrats im jealous am yet to see any scorp mate,hoping we will see some action when our 3 emps get togehter Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 1:55 pm

I guess we all are missing something Very Happy I am yet to see a molt. Hoping I'll catch my emp or the Iurus molting one day Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 2:05 pm

ive not actually seen a molt in progress apart from that scorp we lost coz he was stuck in it so that doesnt count lol, have got loads of molts ive found in burrows when ive dug them up lol
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/13/2011, 2:47 pm

Sweet, hope to see a back full of babies in the near future cheers

I've never witnessed a molt in process either but I have watched my scorp giving birth which was cool. Hoping to see some mating action soon Very Happy

Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/14/2011, 2:30 am

Hopefully I will be able to catch the next mating on film. That would be too much luck though Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty4/18/2011, 2:32 am

There seemed to be some more mating action Saturday evening between one of the males and my big female. I don't think it led to anything though. She didn't seem very cooperative and she's quite bigger and stronger so he wasn't able to pull her even out of the hide.

Edit:
Just checked,, and actually she is the one who mated the first time. So maybe that is why she was not interested.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty5/5/2011, 4:58 am

Almost 2 months after the mating, here are a couple of pics of the female. Still wondering if she actually is gravid or not.
I was talking to a friend of mine that used to have a big colony of these, and apparently gestation is around 3-4 months. So by this time I would had expected she would be bigger than she is (if indeed gravid|).

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP1028

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP1027

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP1024

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures IMGP1022
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures   My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures Empty

Back to top Go down

My first promenade-a-deux - with pictures
Page 1 of 1