The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   3/28/2011, 2:11 am

Yet another enclosure I got with the help of my friend.

Took us like 4 hours to get the Plexiglas to settle with the adhesive along with all the running around we had to do for parts, but its finally done.

We used 2 pieces of Plexiglas in the middle so we could make a stream/pond or whatever, and I used a small log I found in the backyard as a bridge to the other side. I had originally planned on making a beach/bank of some sort, but decided not to.

For the other side we had a image of a forest or deep brush that the log lead into along with some bamboo sticks here and there, thought it was pretty cool idea and it turned out great. We used real plants and grass for this, seeing how fake plants actually cost more.

I put some rocks in the pond to not make it so deep so she wouldn't have any risk of drowning, we had originally planned on putting some fish in there for some nice pictures.

I also have a false bottom setup, I do not have a piece of PVC piping yet, but ill get around to it, this tank weighs a ton for a 10g!

I just placed her inside and shes moving around exploring her new home, hope she likes it.

This is what she used to be held in, thumbs up to the cardboard USPS box folded in half:

Upgraded first class to this:

Here is a pic with her in there, bad lighting:

Let me know what you guys think. Cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
*~BEX~*
Administrator

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   3/28/2011, 5:05 am

Looks awesome!, but how does the scorp get out of the pool once in? the pebbles dont look bery high up? Smile

https://youtu.be/Rq69ZvELDoM
Twitter Bex @R32BEX
Pinterest username - helly3ah
https://www.pinterest.com/helly3ah/my-pets/
Guild Wars 2 - BBEXX.9042

Click here for Pictures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay
SCORPIONMOD

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   3/28/2011, 5:10 am

Very nice mate, good idea using a section to seperate water but it does look very deep. I'm not sure Hets can swim haha

Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   3/28/2011, 10:46 am

I put some more rocks in there so its about 2 inches deep plenty for it to get in and out if that was the case.

I have a 75w IR light sitting on the mesh lid, its about 8inches from the substrate, is that too close?
I dont have a temp gauge atm, it doesnt seem too hot in there,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpioooo
Centruroides

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   3/28/2011, 1:29 pm

thats awesome
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Manser
Babycurus

Number of posts : 484
Registration date : 2010-09-30

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   3/28/2011, 6:27 pm

looks good mate,,,makes my set-ups look crap lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/bludgeon213
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   3/28/2011, 6:35 pm

lol thanks guys, i put a temp/humidity digital gauge in the middle right above the water, humidity is apparently only 67 lol and the temp is 86 with the IR light in the corner.

The ASF is under all the bushes and log on the other side, not sure if its too hot on one side or whatever, but I tested temperature after 30 mins near the light and its around 92.

Im guessing 80ish on cool side and 90ish on hot side and whatever in the middle
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedlam
Tityus

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 7:55 pm

I might steal that pond idea for my newest enclosure. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 9:20 pm

There are otherways to do it, I felt more comfortable with plexiglass and aquarium 'glue' to keep water from flooding into the terrarium although there is a way to avoid that I didnt want to take the risk

Cutting the plexi glass is the hardest part lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Vin Diesel
Centruroides

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2011-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 9:46 pm

nice setup rob.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 9:51 pm

Thanks, I took out the big rocks from outside and all the water for now, as I did find a small leak, I noticed half the water was drained out the next day, so I will have to buy more of that aquarium sealant from lowes. Also the rocks I had from outside made the water dirty even after scrubbing and washing in hot hot water.

The ASF isnt that bright she doesnt use the bridge to cross, instead she climbs over the babmboo wall and into the stream and uses her tail to lift her up to the otherside lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpioooo
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 9:57 pm

What is the name of that glue?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 10:02 pm

I dont even remember, if you goto home depot or lowes and ask for a aquarium safe sealant they will know, its the same stuff they use for aquariums (that rubber cement like stuff you see in the corner)

like 3 bucks, I am just broke for the week, this friday I might go and get that, nice looking rocks/pebbles, and pvc pipe for the false bottom, I just have to take out my ASF again cause that stuff smells and I am worried it might affect her. No rush really lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpioooo
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 10:05 pm

i bought a huge bag of pea pebbles for 2 49 or something like that but i had to wash them. do you know in which section of the store this would be located?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 10:08 pm

Yeah, I was gonna get some white, or nice colored rocks to make the water look better lol
its all aesthetics :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedlam
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 10:41 pm

Roblicious wrote:
There are otherways to do it, I felt more comfortable with plexiglass and aquarium 'glue' to keep water from flooding into the terrarium although there is a way to avoid that I didnt want to take the risk

Cutting the plexi glass is the hardest part lol

How did you cut it and how much did it cost? I want to buy the Tetra Fauna Vicuarium and make basically what you did in larger scale.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 10:52 pm

We cut it using a razor blade which I dont recommend because we lacked tools

Use a dremel tool it works better

We bout a 2.5x2.5 ft of its for like 6 bucks

I just looked up pics that, it looks good.

What I want to do next is a 15-20 gallon with a waterfall into a river stream with a pipe leading back into the waterfall so it circulates 24/7

Or a waterfall into a giant lake in front of it, either or, it will take time :p

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedlam
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 11:20 pm

Haha, that's exactly what I had in mind. If you haven't seen the Tetra Fauna Viquarium you should give it a look. I want to Shape the Plexi into a large pool/pond. The water falls from a waterfall, down a stream and into the pool. Then it'll circulate and I'll fill it with river rocks or something appealing for the aesthetics. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/4/2011, 11:46 pm

yep the pump should be able to do all the work, just need to put it all together i like that fauna though, and yes i did i googled it :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedlam
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/5/2011, 12:05 am

My only concern is whether it matters that the back half will be put into Eco Earth instead of gravel. I assume it'll be ok though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/5/2011, 12:11 am

do false bottom, with eco earth on top then less and less gravel as it gets closer to the bank kinda like a hill to a beach. thats how I would do it.Use sand too if you want.

Just like a beach
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedlam
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/5/2011, 4:17 pm

If I do make a false bottom, I'd make an irrigation channel thing, with PVC.

I only planned on putting the front portion in the water and the back portion would just sit in the eco earth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/11/2011, 3:25 am

Yeah scorpio did something like that with his and he added a waterfall, pretty neat.

I saw that enclosure for the chinese swimming scorpions, that looks like a project and a half, prolly my next bet :p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpioooo
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/11/2011, 4:56 pm

i did my enclosure in two nights but i had most of the stuff ready ( waterfall wall, pump,decor)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedlam
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   4/11/2011, 7:56 pm

I've been working on this 150 gallon for about a month now. I am still gathering some supplies but it's mostly done. The delay is due to mainly waiting to move and also having the funds. I gotta eat too =P
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!   

Back to top Go down

Got a new setup for my ASF! Pond/steam included!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next