The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

UV Torches

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Callum B
Administrator

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: UV Torches   3/17/2011, 5:54 pm

Has anyone got any recommendations on which UV emitting torches are best for viewing scorpions in the dark. I would like one that work will be effective at a distance of a few metres. I have been looking on ebay and there seems to be 2 types available. One type is an inexpensive (around 5) LED torch with loads of LEDs and the others are more high tec with other features or are marketed specifically for finding scorpions and are more expensive (20 +). Any advice on whats good and whats bad would be grand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
H. laoticus
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: UV Torches   3/17/2011, 10:32 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Ultraviolet-LED-flashlight-Blacklight-7202UV395/dp/B001Q70A0G/ref=pd_sim_hi_1

I like the black light form. The one I posted and one that I plan on buying has 106 reviews and it's 4.5/5 stars. That's pretty dang good. It seems like it has enough power to allow you to walk around, shine it, and spot scorps from a distance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
**GS**
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: UV Torches   3/17/2011, 10:45 pm

Hi Callum,

I'm not sure which UV torch is good for herping scorps at night (as longer effective distance is required) but i do have a suggestion for home viewing purposes.

i'm using the first one in the link below:

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/uv.html?category=912

I think it has served its purpose well for me and it's at a low price of USD$4.88.
I would say its effective distance is up to 3meters.

Cheers,
GS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
H. laoticus
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: UV Torches   3/18/2011, 5:27 am

I actually bought a UV flash light from dealxtreme and it didn't last very long. The quality wasn't there and although it did the job for a while, it eventually just died. I bought the 9 led version instead of the 12 led posted. This is just from one item I bought, so I can't generalize to the rest. I like the UV flashlight in the link I posted because there have been consistently good reviews on the item and it's actually quite powerful because it has 51 led. Can't wait to buy it and go scorp huntin' Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
H. laoticus
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: UV Torches   4/7/2011, 12:18 am

Hey Callum, if you're still looking for a blacklight and a powerful one, you should buy the one in the link I posted above. I actually bought it and recently tested it out. It works very well and can easily shine 15-20 feet away. In my opinion, a great price for a very good product.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Callum B
Administrator

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: UV Torches   4/7/2011, 8:07 am

Cheers for that. I can't find whether they will send them to the UK though. Will it actually illuminate a scorpion at that distance??
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: UV Torches   4/7/2011, 9:41 am

I picked up one from one of our buddies on this forum. It is a mag-lite with the uv/blacklight led conversion. It works great for viewing at home and I'd use it in the field too as I can stand in the living room and make some scorps on the ground glow. Mine is a 3 D cell one. I'd recommend it. If you get the conversion kit and get one of the new led lights you'll be set. I have a upper apt in a duplex and can shine the reg flashlight on the street out in front of the house out my living room window and it's like some kid is down there shinning it where he is standing! They are amazing!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
H. laoticus
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: UV Torches   4/7/2011, 11:27 pm

Callum B wrote:
Cheers for that. I can't find whether they will send them to the UK though. Will it actually illuminate a scorpion at that distance??

Try it out on the link. I looked at the shipping options and it has a bunch of other countries you can select to have it shipped. I couldn't enter a real address since I don't know any in the UK, but you can give it a shot. I'm not sure on shipping charges either. I got free 2-day shipping since I signed up free for Amazon Prime. I don't know if the UK has the same promotion, but it's worth a shot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UV Torches   

Back to top Go down

UV Torches
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1