The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

A very lazy scorpion...

Go down 
+4
Billy No Mates
H. laoticus
Scorpioooo
ColoredPencils
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-13

A very lazy scorpion... Empty
PostSubject: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty2/28/2011, 11:40 pm

I've found it a bit odd that I've had Edvin for quite a while now... and I've yet to see him make a single burrow. Or even try to dig!

About two months ago, I redid his tank with a good, thick slope of coco fiber, but still no burrows. He does use the little cave hide I gave him frequently, unless he's feeling cold. And then he hides under the broken pot I put by a heating rock.

If an emperor is content with an already provided hide, is it normal for them to not bother digging a new one?
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty2/28/2011, 11:58 pm

i have to emps and i always provide hides for them . i never saw them make a burrow. i am preety sure its fine that they only use the hides that are provided for them. my theory is that if you bought your scorpion at petco or something where they dont have enough substrate to burrow in they wont do that in you thank but thats just my crazy theory xD
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/1/2011, 12:37 am

Try lowering the hide closer to the substrate. Cover the hide so there's barely a slit to enter and the scorpion may start digging it out. It's work several times for me, so give it a go and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

Number of posts : 177

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/1/2011, 1:00 am

My Emps actively make burrows, and so does my Desert Hairy. Infact the Desert Hairy is a busy little bugger, he's made a vast network of tunnels without anyone noticing.

My Red Claw and my AFS are lazy. They never make burrows.

H. laoticus wrote:
Try lowering the hide closer to the substrate. Cover the hide so there's barely a slit to enter and the scorpion may start digging it out. It's work several times for me, so give it a go and see what happens.

+1 on this. Goading them into doing it is a good method.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/1/2011, 3:58 am

Our male Emp never attempted burrowing at all yet as soon as we introduced the femaLe she burrowed for England, I think sometimes if they are towards the end of adulthood theyvjust can't be bothered anymore lol
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/1/2011, 11:18 am

My cavimanus took about 5 months to start burrowing, might just need more time to adjust.
Back to top Go down
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/1/2011, 1:43 pm

H. laoticus wrote:

I'll try this. =) If he just doesn't want to dig, it doesn't bother me so much. I just want to make sure there isn't something wrong with him or his setup.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/1/2011, 2:00 pm

with ours we dug out a hole the size of the hide then sunk the hide in and covered it completely with coco fiber leaving a tiny entrance, had to build a small mound of substrate at the entrance to close it up a bit, but it works fine Smile
Back to top Go down
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/1/2011, 8:55 pm

Awesome. I'll do this tomorrow when I'm home.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/2/2011, 4:14 am

get some pics up...we need more pics on this forum lol Smile
Back to top Go down
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/3/2011, 1:45 am

I don't have a camera! XP
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/3/2011, 5:06 am

Aw that sucks my camera is broken so I do all mine on my phone Smile
Back to top Go down
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/8/2011, 3:45 am

My phone takes horrid pictures...
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/8/2011, 3:56 am

Lol my camera took worse pics than my phone which was weird
Back to top Go down
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/9/2011, 11:36 pm

Maybe I can borrow my parents' at some point.
Back to top Go down
shanos
Babycurus
shanos

Number of posts : 295
Registration date : 2011-03-09

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty3/25/2011, 4:45 pm

i only got my emps yesterday and ive got two hides one just sits under one hide allday lol the other has been diggin like crazy lol
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A very lazy scorpion...   A very lazy scorpion... Empty

Back to top Go down

A very lazy scorpion...
Page 1 of 1