The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Can someone help me with the differences between Swammerdami and Emperor?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Taledus
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Can someone help me with the differences between Swammerdami and Emperor?   2/27/2011, 5:02 am

After coming across the Swammerdami in 231bex's post I started looking into what it was cause I hadn't heard of this species before. To me they just look like huge Emperors. I am wondering if the most recent addition I got might not be an Emperor, but something else as my largest male which we thought was huge, was dwarfed by the newest one when we stuck them in the tank together for about an hour. We had to take the smaller one out because he kept being pushed up in a corner and struck over and over...I know fighting goes on between Emp's, but we hand feed the first Emp with the broken claw and he seems to like it too so we don't want him killed just because I am trying to space out my collection into several tanks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jay
SCORPIONMOD

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me with the differences between Swammerdami and Emperor?   2/27/2011, 8:12 am

Hmm definitely get some pics to compare the two up if you haven't already elsewhere mate. Big Swammerdami's are usually pretty recognisable.

Centruroides

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me with the differences between Swammerdami and Emperor?   2/27/2011, 12:08 pm

Swammerdami's have different pedipalps, and they're also gigantic.

If you take a look at the telson aswell, a Swammerdami's will be more elongated than an Emperor's, like a pear with a point, Emperor's are more apple shaped. Also, Emperor's are completely black/bluey, whereas Swammerdami's have reddish brown legs.

Last edited by Billy No Mates on 2/27/2011, 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Envyizm
Breeder

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me with the differences between Swammerdami and Emperor?   2/27/2011, 11:37 pm

You also have a better chance of getting hit by the Oscar Meyer weiner mobile than to find swammerdami up for sale in the states, Emps much more easy to find.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
Taledus
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me with the differences between Swammerdami and Emperor?   2/28/2011, 11:14 am

Based on what you guys have said he looks like the rest of my emps just a bit bigger. I was just being curious because I have seen some posts of pet stores mislabeling their scorps and wanted to make sure I definitely got an emperor. Also have read that the swammerdami is a very aggressive species and it looked like this big guy is trying to kill whatever goes in his tank. He was in with about 12 other male scorpions at the pet store, so I know he can be in a tank with others, just not any of the ones I already have. I just hate that he is taking up an entire tank because I cannot find anything he is compatible with to stick in with him so it looks like he will soon be going into something else so I can use the 10gal he is in to split up my broken claw adult male and 3 sub-adults that are in 1 tank.

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Billy No Mates
Centruroides

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me with the differences between Swammerdami and Emperor?   2/28/2011, 11:53 am

It always amuses me when someone says "This is an aggressive species, and this is not.", because I tend to get the opposite. My adult Emp is crazy, he attacks everything, and has a special dislike for spoons, yet my Red Claw and my AFS are calm as hindu cows, and they're supposed to be the less tolerant species.

The only time the word of someone else has been correct is in the case of my Desert Hairy.

Anyways, just let the little guy settle in and see if his behaviour changes. He might just be a little touchy.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me with the differences between Swammerdami and Emperor?   2/28/2011, 12:00 pm

Envyizm wrote:
You also have a better chance of getting hit by the Oscar Meyer weiner mobile than to find swammerdami up for sale in the states, Emps much more easy to find.

Actually getting hit by the Oscar Meyer Weiner Mobile is pretty high around here! They hire college kids to drive it and if I recall a few years ago one of them hit a house Very Happy, drove right through the garage or something, lol!

Good analogy, I just happen to be a smart arse and live in WI Very Happy

And if anyone finds Swammerdami's in the States please PM me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can someone help me with the differences between Swammerdami and Emperor?   

Back to top Go down

Can someone help me with the differences between Swammerdami and Emperor?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1