The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

my new emp scorpion

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ChinoMarino
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-02-20

my new emp scorpion Empty
PostSubject: my new emp scorpion   my new emp scorpion Empty2/20/2011, 6:16 am

hi

a just bought an emperor scorp and need 2 know how often 2 feed it an if its happy in its enviro?

its a small one its only 5cm or 2 month old

how often does it moult and its substrate is spidermite which was recommended by the shop owner is this ok?

is there anyway a can see it hunting or feeding as a realy wanna get a vid for my mates and family?
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: my new emp scorpion   my new emp scorpion Empty2/20/2011, 8:59 am

hi, i feed my young emperors 2-3 crickets about 1/4 to 1/3 the size of the scorpion per week. If there is still any crickets left in the enclosure the next day i remove them and try again a few days later. Make sure you mist the enclosure with water every day to keep the humidity at 80% + and always provide a water dish. Im not sure what spidermite is but the substrate needs to be deep to allow it to burrow and needs to be able to hold moisture. Coconut fibre or a pesticide free compost/soil is perfect. The heat mat needs to be placed on the side of the enclosure and you need to keep the temperature in the high 20s.

Your scorpion probably has another 4+ molts before it becomes an adult. Make sure that the enclosure is always humid to avoid any moulting difficulties and dont offer any prey for about a week after it has moulted as its body may still be soft and so will be vulnerable to attack from the crickets.
Have a look at the caresheets section for more info.
If you want to have a good chance of filming your scorp catching prey I would suggest waiting until night time and using either a red light or even better a UV light to see the scorp. Red light doesnt seem to effect the scorpions when going about their night time business but allows you to see them and UV light makes the scorpion flouresce bright bluey/greeney and again doesnt bother them. If using a UV light only use it occasionally and for short periods of time due to the harmful UV rays is gives off.
Hope this helps and congratulations on your new pet.
Back to top Go down
ChinoMarino
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: my new emp scorpion   my new emp scorpion Empty2/20/2011, 11:19 am

spidermite is like a compost\mulch mix it was provided by the shop as he breeds them.

is the mat under the tank not gud as mine is there an the substrate is moist and about 3-4 inch deep.

when can a feed him\her mealworms?

in every vid av seen its always in the day an it seems he only comes out at nite.

the tank gets a misting everyday an a check that the sub is damp\moist should a put any other dens or objects in the tank to maximize the environment and movement of the scorp.

a feed it 2or3 size 1 crickets an a dnt no if he ate them as a took 2 out yesterday.am jus wondering how long it will take 4 it 2 moult an grow to a reasonable size 2 show him off 2 my mates an family?
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: my new emp scorpion   my new emp scorpion Empty2/20/2011, 7:14 pm

Im curious too about when they molt as mine is about the same size and age
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: my new emp scorpion   my new emp scorpion Empty2/21/2011, 12:30 pm

Firstly I wouldnt advise feeding mealworms as its staple diet. They are to high in fat and low in protein to be used regularly. Stick to feeding crickets that have been fed on fruit and veg for a few days before and only occasionally offer mealworms for abit of variation.

Scorpions will sometimes venture out during the day but generally choose not to as in the wild they would be easily spotted by predators and munched lol. Try feeding it with dimmed lights on. This should make it feel more confident about coming out of its burrow/ hide and youll still be able to see it.

Definately move the heat mat to the side of the tank. Its unnatural for the scorpion to have heat coming from the ground and will easily stress it out.
I generally go for two hides in my enclosures. One at the side the heat mats on and the other at the cooler side although mine have just made their own burrows and dont really use the hides lol. You can use as much decoration as you want as long as the scorpion has space to easily move around its enclosure. I really like using dried oak and beech leaves in my enclosures as it looks really natural and gives the scorpion something to hunt and root about in.
Emperors generally take between 18 and 24 months to reach adult size and this takes about 6 - 7 moults.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: my new emp scorpion   my new emp scorpion Empty2/21/2011, 12:40 pm

So roughly 3-4 months in between molts?
Back to top Go down
ChinoMarino
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: my new emp scorpion   my new emp scorpion Empty2/21/2011, 2:23 pm

thanks callum thats great al move the mat today and al try a vary his diet not to much thou al jus stick 2 crickets 4 now.

a jus saw him munchin a cricket lunchtime on sunday it was awsome.do they never use thier stinger or jus kill with thier claws?

well a got him at the start of feb an the guy in the shop says he bred them in dec so he must be due a moult then?

am goin to get another den and a temp gauge and hydrometer for the tank too. where should a place them so not to get false readings?

thanks again mate try an keep me updated on any new info and a will try an get sum pics of chango (scorpion) hahahaha thats his name cheers brother!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my new emp scorpion   my new emp scorpion Empty

Back to top Go down

my new emp scorpion
Page 1 of 1