The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

heat source for desert hairy

Go down 
+3
anemiaffx
Canth
Seany-p
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Seany-p
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-01-08

heat source for desert hairy Empty
PostSubject: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/18/2011, 10:45 am

i got my first scorpion last week which was a baby emp but i think ive caught the bug, im getting a desert hairy this weekend! Very Happy in terms of heat would a infrared lamp be suitable or would a ceramic emitter be the better choice?
Back to top Go down
Canth
Babycurus
Canth

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/18/2011, 11:54 am

Either one would be ok, but with the red bulb you get some light to observe your scorpion with. But keep in mind that with either one you use, it doesn't get too hot.
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/18/2011, 1:17 pm

Red light it is then! I'll be using a night and day thermostat with it, last thing I want is crispy scorp!
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/19/2011, 1:40 am

If you have a screen top and your shooting the red bulb into it, it wont get hot at all... Thats what i used for my Flat Rock. Have the lamp about 6 - 8 inches away from the screen beaming down and you shall be perfect. This also varies on what size watt bulb you buy.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/19/2011, 7:21 am

we use a infrared 75w heat bulb with a clamp lamp for our desert hairy and it works fine, ours is about 4 inches away from the screen lid any closer and it melts lol Smile
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/20/2011, 2:59 pm

That's the same wattage as the bulb I've got, what size is your tank?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/20/2011, 3:12 pm

It's 30x30x45
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/21/2011, 7:18 pm

The one I've got is 50x50 so in assuming a 75w bulb will be sufficient?
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/22/2011, 2:12 am

Gotta be careful tho because tho they did live in the desert, if there are small pebbles or if the lights to close to the sand, it will make the sand scorching hot...Which may be hard on the animals legs. Or whatever the special name is for them.
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/25/2011, 6:01 pm

What's the most ideal humidity for the hairy? I'm waiting for the the tank to dry out, the temp is a steady 82-85f but the humidity is still at 75 percent which I know is too much but what can be considered a 'safe' level in which to introduce the little fella as it's gutting seeing him in a tempary setup when the proper tank is so close to completion!
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/25/2011, 6:49 pm

Are you getting an adult desert hairy? If so, just make the enclosure bone dry.
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/25/2011, 6:57 pm

It's not unfotunatly,it's about three inches in length....
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/25/2011, 6:57 pm

If you want to quicken the drying process, bump up the heat -- put a spare lamp on, stick it somewhere warm, whatever.
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/25/2011, 7:04 pm

I've got two heat mats one large and one medium, a heat light and a hair dryer on it!
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/25/2011, 7:35 pm

Was it sold to you as a sub-adult? I've had supposed adults that were about 3 in, too.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/25/2011, 7:35 pm

Careful though mate, I cracked a glass tank by resting a heat lamp on the substrate which must have got real hot Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/26/2011, 4:05 am

Are you sure your gauge is working correctly?? Ours only took a week to dry out with two lamps on, try using a hairdryer??
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty1/26/2011, 8:44 am

I've got two humidty gauges in there, the one on the surface is saying 30 percent and the one down the burrow is reading 70 percent. The heat lamp is about three inches from the top of the tank, I've even tried a hair dryer!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: heat source for desert hairy   heat source for desert hairy Empty

Back to top Go down

heat source for desert hairy
Page 1 of 1