The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

The Beautiful Jade

Go down 
+2
Mr. Mordax
Penny
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Penny
Centruroides

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2010-11-25

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/7/2011, 6:44 pm

She still has the small tank.. I don't really have anywhere to put a bigger tank where the cats wouldn't be able to pester her... I liked it better when Iaria (our kitten) was afraid of her.. but I swear that kitten just keeps getting more and more ballsy as she grows up.

At this point I thoroughly believe that Jade is pregnant.. she keeps gaining weight and her behavior has changed a lot. Lately she's been deathly afraid of everything. Sad I really wanted to get some good pictures of her when I cleaned her cage but I couldn't even get her out.. she resorted to this:

The Beautiful Jade Jade006
(and this was actually after she relaxed a bit.. before she was scrunched up as tight as she could go) I couldn't even get her to go in a little box.. I almost wanted to pick her up by the tail but I didn't want to do that to her.. So I just scooped out the food remains and let her stay in the tank.

The Beautiful Jade Christmas018w
Confirmation that she is female? (I hope Razz)

The Beautiful Jade Jade001
Crickets beware!
I actually wanted to take a really funny picture but she moved by the time I got the camera... I would have called it "Guardian of the Carrot".. she waited by the carrot with her claws open to try and catch crickets.

Her tank (hadn't put the leaves in yet... they were still baking)
The Beautiful Jade Jade008

I really wish I had better pictures. Sad I don't want to stress her out too much by taking her out right now, with the way she's been acting lately... if she hears something or notices me by her tank she'll either ball up or play dead. I think it's pregnancy hormones because she wasn't like that before.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/8/2011, 5:29 am

I'm not sure what substrate you've got her on, but I highly recommend switching her out to something more like coconut fiber ASAP. It's much better at retaining humidity (only your last picture shows an adequate level of moisture) and is suitable for supporting burrows.

I wouldn't bank on her behavior indicating pregnancy just yet (though a large number of wild-caught females are already gravid), but I'd say from pic #2 you do indeed have a female. It's normal for scorpions to get defensive (either with pincher or feigning death) when something startles them.

I'd also suggest removing most of her prey items. Just offering her one cricket at a time on occasion (every few days to every few weeks) is plenty. All in all, though, she's a nice-looking specimen. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/8/2011, 1:54 pm

Yeah I have to pour water in there constantly. It doesn't even retain water for a full day. -_- Using up the last of the "desert blend", then switching.

She's not even gettings defensive. Lately she's just scared. At the pet shop, when I first saw her she was aggressive and apparently had a bad rep with the people who worked there, but when we took her home she was docile and cooperative... now she's afraid of everything. It's the ever changing behavior that seems weird.

I started out just giving her one at a time but she was eating them pretty fast... and I hated keeping the crickets in a plastic container, it just smells so bad. D: But yeah, you're right... we just got kind of lazy about it. It doesn't seem to bother her.. and it increases her chance of catching prey.
When we get her a bigger tank I'm gonna' use the smaller one as a cricket habitat.

And thankyou. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/8/2011, 6:12 pm

Uh oh, cats seem to be a scorpion's worst nightmare. As mordax said, cocofiber is a great substrate choice because it holds humidity very well and is an excellent burrowing substrate. I must admit, I am also guilty of sometimes leaving prey items in. Crickets are just so annoying, but I'm glad I switched to roaches. Good read!
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/8/2011, 11:13 pm

Might try roaches but Petland only supplies crickets and mice. So I'd have to search around a bit.
I want to get some of those tweezer things so I can grab the crickets and put them in one at a time easier... but still I just can't believe how much crickets [hopscotch]! I felt like I was going to vomit whenever I opened their container... it smelled horrible.

I lock the cats out of this room now. I don't know if I told you guys about the first time my kitten saw Jade.. before they thought I was just keeping crickets. But anyway, Iaria was sitting on the scorp tank, Jade started walking around, and Iaria darted ff into the hallway.
But like yeah, Iaria tends to overcome her fears pretty fast (she used to be afraid of my ferret too). Last time I let Iaria in this room, she pissed Jade off. Jade was like "you dare challenge me, feeble kitten?!" but luckily the tank kept them off eachother.

But yeah, cats lost their computer room/scorpion tank room privelages.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/12/2011, 4:13 pm

how many crickets do you buy at a time?
i get 10 at a time for my 2 emps (5i and full grown) every 2 weeks
but ive never smelled anything weird from the container i keep them in and i usually leave them in for 2 -3 days at a time...

are you breeding them or something?
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/12/2011, 4:29 pm

Beautiful scorp you have penny!
Have you sorted her substrate yet unwound assume she would be quite stressed being on that it looks like sand!! Can she even burrow in it??? Also look very shallow should be 4-6" at least. Smile
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/14/2011, 3:53 pm

the lycan mikey wrote:
how many crickets do you buy at a time?
i get 10 at a time for my 2 emps (5i and full grown) every 2 weeks
but ive never smelled anything weird from the container i keep them in and i usually leave them in for 2 -3 days at a time...

are you breeding them or something?

Just six. No I'm not breeding them.. I think it just smells because they poop a lot. And the container was just a little plastic thing with air holes (and an egg carton piece, food, etc).
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/14/2011, 3:58 pm

231bex wrote:
Beautiful scorp you have penny!
Have you sorted her substrate yet unwound assume she would be quite stressed being on that it looks like sand!! Can she even burrow in it??? Also look very shallow should be 4-6" at least. Smile

Thankyou!
Probably not, I haven't seen her burrow at all. Sad
Like I said, we're definitely switching to coco fiber.. it's a pain having to pour water in their constantly, dodging the crickets to avoid drowning them.

Also, I have a job interview on Tuesday. Very Happy Yay, finally got an interview atleast! If I get the job we'll have more money to spend for Jade (and ourselves). For some reason she never likes the leaves and stuff I put in her cage (I bake them first, as you suggested). She just won't touch them.
Annd, regarding Jade's behavior... it's changed again. A few days ago she started being extremely aggressive. You can't even change her water in peace unless she's asleep. It's so weird.. the complete opposite of how she was the previous month or so.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/14/2011, 4:11 pm

Hi congrats on the interview and good luck Hun!!!

I think you really should get her substrate changed asap it will prly be stressing her out being on the wrong stuff and not being able to burrow you need to get their habitats as close to their natural one as possible, also I think the leaves and stuff are more for us to look at rather then them do anything with lol just makes it look nicer none of ours have ever taken any real notice of any decor.

Anyways congrats again what job you going for Hun?? Smile
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/14/2011, 8:09 pm

Thanks. Smile I really like your new pic btw.

Alright. I didn't think it was that big of a deal so I was waiting till we used up the sand stuff, but we'll go get some coco fiber asap.

I'm applying for anything and everything, lol. But I'm being interviewed for a retail position at a wireless store... I'm kind of worried. I always get nervous at interview and it doesn't look good... and if I do get the job I don't know how I'm going to act enthusiastic about the products to try and get people to buy them. -_- I've never worked in retail and I'm not good about keeping up with technology.. I know less about phones than the average person. :/ But I want a job regardless.. so if I get it I'll learn.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/15/2011, 2:12 pm

Penny wrote:
Thanks. Smile I really like your new pic btw.

Alright. I didn't think it was that big of a deal so I was waiting till we used up the sand stuff, but we'll go get some coco fiber asap.

Thanx!!

On the substrate thing i think its very important to have them on the correct one...you wouldnt put a desert species on cocoa fibre would you? if i saw an emp on sand in a shop i would def be having words or reporting them, its these sort of things that cause stress and stress just shortens there lives...she wont die if you keep her on it but it will shorten her life.

And you will be fine in interview i know what you mean though im the most nervous person i know when it comes to things like that, i have a severe lack of confidence and completely right myself off before ive even tried, so tend to just not try (one of the things i need to sort out!)
i worked in retail for 5 years before i had my two girls, and its quite enjoyable (i dont think i would cope in an office sittuation) at least in retail your not stuck to a desk and you see new people everyday, and they will train you up on all the gadgets anyways, but it wouldnt hurt to do a bit of research into stuff they sell, when is the interview keep us posted yeah? Smile
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/15/2011, 5:17 pm

Oh, wow. Yeah I think I'll talk to the pet store about that too because they have their scorps on the same thing mine is on... but then again they have them in tiny tanks with less than an inch of substrate. -_-

Yeah it might be a good experience. I just hope I've overcome my anxiety.
The interview is on Tuesday. I started getting nervous last Wednesday. >.< Hopefulling I'll be able to calm my nerves, rather than having them build up.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/15/2011, 5:28 pm

I'm the same as soon as I know about an event that makes me nervous I'm feeling sick from that point till it's over even if there is a month in between lol....
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/15/2011, 8:58 pm

Well between the substrate and the extra crickets in there I'd bet your scorp is very stressed out. She could die as a result if left too long in the wrong conditions, not to mention that a bunch of crickets can take a scorp down. I just lost a C. Sculpturatus to a stupid cricket! She is a nice looking emp though.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/16/2011, 4:41 am

iitomodachi1 wrote:
Well between the substrate and the extra crickets in there I'd bet your scorp is very stressed out. She could die as a result if left too long in the wrong conditions, not to mention that a bunch of crickets can take a scorp down. I just lost a C. Sculpturatus to a stupid cricket! She is a nice looking emp though.

Exactly!! I have a sneaky feeling that may be how we lost one of our E.flavicaudis ... Well it's a possibility there was 2 crickets running around so I head crushed them and gave them to the remaining scorps think these may struggle to
catch crickets I have no idea whatvtheir natural food would be prly spiders or moths or something, that's a point actually could I just feed them anything as they are caught in the same area as I live??? Hmmmm
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/16/2011, 5:05 am

The only retail I like doing is with clothes. Usually the only questions you get are: Is this the only size? Where are the jeans?
Don't get me started with electronics lol
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/16/2011, 10:27 pm

Bex, you could feed them anything but you should be careful with pesticides and stuff. They probably eat it in the wild but being the good mum that you are I know you would feel terrible giving them a bug that just traipsed through a bunch of weed killer and lost a scorp or two. If you want to feed them something from outside and save money, catch it and breed it a generation or two then feed the offspring of those to your scorps. Just my thoughts. Probably low risk and overly cautious too.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/17/2011, 3:11 am

Think I'll just stick yo buying them lolz just not worth the hassle/risk really is it, yet to try roaches as a feeder really need to think about breeding something Smile
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/17/2011, 3:33 am

I don't feel it is worth the risk. Breading roaches is not difficult, so that is a good way to go about it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/18/2011, 4:23 pm

Changed her substrate a few days ago. They didn't have coco fiber but I got something similar. :/ .. and very expensive too. I poured the whole bag in there and it's only about three inches. The larger bag costed $30. >.> I was considering mixing it with the old substrate but idk if that would make it any better?
She still hasn't burrowed at all.. She doesn't seem to like it when I change her environment.. she avoids anything new I put in there and now that the substrate is different she isn't being very active at all. She'll get used to it, right?

Regarding the crickets, they don't seem to be a problem but I'll take you alls' advice.

And I bombed the interview. Horribly. I feel like I have no dignity and I'm nauseous.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/18/2011, 6:18 pm

What is the new substrate? Can you post a url or something so we know what you are talking about?

You should be able to get 3 bricks of eco-earth coco fiber for like 7$ off of the Petco website and it will get delivered to your door.

http://www.petco.com/product/10813/Zoo-Med-Eco-Earth-Compressed-Coconut-Fiber-Expandable-Substrate.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

Anytime you swap something out in your tank don't be surprised if your scorp acts a bit differently. You have changed what is familiar to them, they have to get used to it and make sure they are safe. That is why it is recommended to switch up furniture and at least stir up the substrate if you are adding another scorp to a tank, then it is new territory for all of them and they claim it as all of theirs, where as you drop one into an existing tank the other scorps will view it as a their territory and this is an intruding scorp while the new scorp is trying to figure out what is going on. So to answer your question yes different behavior should be expected. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Penny
Centruroides

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/18/2011, 6:28 pm

http://www.reptiles.swelluk.com/reptile-supplies/reptile-substrates-420/forest-substrates-1172/zoo-med-repti-bark-13215.html

That's what we got.

Next time I'm definitely ordering that coco fiber you linked because this Repti Bark at the pet store was way overpriced. >.> Apparently I could have gotten it cheaper online but I hadn't thought to do so. (I know that website is using Euros but I'm pretty sure Euros aren't worth that much more than dollars.. 18 Euros =/= 30 dollars). D:
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty1/18/2011, 7:09 pm

It's almost always cheaper if you can wait for shipping. Petco often has some big internet sales and it is way different than the in store prices Very Happy
Repti wouldn't be the greatest choice for substrate, I know the pet stores use it but the pet stores don't care about their scorps and they also wouldn't want them to burrow so the customers can see them.

Good luck Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Beautiful Jade Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Beautiful Jade   The Beautiful Jade Empty

Back to top Go down

The Beautiful Jade
Page 1 of 1