The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

3rd Instar P. transvaalicus

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Buggs
Pandinus

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-11-03

3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty
PostSubject: 3rd Instar P. transvaalicus   3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty12/8/2010, 4:49 pm

I know there are numerous care sheets and other species specific web pages out there but I need information from experts...actual owners of these particular Scorpions and I need it now.

If you had a 3rd instar(3/4") of P. transvaalicus what type of environment would you keep it in. The exact substrate, rocks, wood, moss, pottery, humidity, moisture, etc...

I've had adults but not young'ns.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Instar P. transvaalicus   3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty12/8/2010, 5:39 pm

Hi Buggs,

Not sure if you have some across this writeup by BrianS in your research. Basically the early instars are kept in small condiment cups with sand. If the cups are too small to place a hide in, you can keep the cups in a box which stays dark.

http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6099&hl=desert+scorps

Picture by BrianS:
3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Nwfqrt

Below is what i do for my young 3-4instars before i give them a more decent enclosure as they matures. Basically i'll house them in these tool boxes containers which has separators and you may expand the size of their allocated space with each subsequent molt.

3rd Instar P. transvaalicus IMG_5239a

3rd Instar P. transvaalicus IMG_5227a

I'm not an expert on P. Trans but i'm indeed their biggest fan!
Hope it helps Smile
Back to top Go down
Buggs
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Instar P. transvaalicus   3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty12/8/2010, 6:49 pm

Hi GS,

I scrambled for containers when mine arrived and all I had that was setup to house them at the time were the mini critter keeper things(I hope you are familiar with these US products.) I have the same type of sand that you are showing in your pictures but I have small pieces of grapevine wood and small clay pot trays as cover.

I do have all sorts of clear plastic cups and trays that are smaller than what I have my scorps in right now.

Is the larger room okay?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Instar P. transvaalicus   3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty12/8/2010, 7:05 pm

Its great to provide small covers for them if space allows mate. Most of the time, mine just got buried.. lolz

Mini critter keeper.. is it something like this?

3rd Instar P. transvaalicus X-cart-pic-525

i believe a larger room is fine. Just make sure its not too big a space for them to catch their prey Smile
Back to top Go down
Buggs
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Instar P. transvaalicus   3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty12/8/2010, 9:16 pm

Gs,

those are the types of containers and the size I have them in would be the first one on the top left.

By the way, all my little scorpions usually catch what I give them. Do you give them live food or kill it first?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Instar P. transvaalicus   3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty12/8/2010, 10:01 pm

Buggs wrote:
Gs,

those are the types of containers and the size I have them in would be the first one on the top left.

By the way, all my little scorpions usually catch what I give them. Do you give them live food or kill it first?

The top left is good, you can make a nice cosy enclosure with your small decos Smile

For feeding scorplings, i offer mostly live feeders as they can handle them with no issue.

If i'm offering crickets, i'll remove the two hind legs. Imo, even if i fail to realise that my scorpling is about to molt.. and when it does, the disabled cricket will more likely to evade at the slightest movement of objects and not go for a quick munch on the molting scorpling. Disabling the hind legs lowers the confidence level in the cricket (in my opinion). Of cos, safest way is to remove uneaten feeder every other day and offer again after 1-2 days of rest.

But if i observed that my scorpling is in pre-molt and i still wish to try feeding them, i'll do a headchop on the crickets and placed it near the scorpling. The headless cricket will mostly like still do some body twitching for an hour or so.. hopefully enough to entice some appetite if any Smile

For roaches, i'll just dump it in.. so far i haven heard of any small roach that will munch on molting scorpion.

i'll just make sure all the feeders i provide for scorplings is no more then 1/2 their size.
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Instar P. transvaalicus   3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty12/12/2010, 12:43 am

heyyy!!my p trans looks like that
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Instar P. transvaalicus   3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty12/12/2010, 9:55 am

levi wrote:
heyyy!!my p trans looks like that

Its the Dark morph P.Trans then Smile
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

Number of posts : 167

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Instar P. transvaalicus   3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty12/12/2010, 9:57 am

Yep..her back thingy are also separated like that..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3rd Instar P. transvaalicus   3rd Instar P. transvaalicus Empty

Back to top Go down

3rd Instar P. transvaalicus
Page 1 of 1