The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....

Go down 
+3
iitomodachi1
_scorpio_
GinaBallerina88
7 posters
AuthorMessage
GinaBallerina88
Pandinus
GinaBallerina88

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2010-10-03

I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty
PostSubject: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/2/2010, 6:56 pm

I have been thinking about getting some tarantulas to display with them in my living room. However! I've been told that none of the species are communal, and was hoping to get 2 into the same tank. Does anyone know anything different about this?
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/2/2010, 7:23 pm

i dont know of any species that are communal, but a good glass divider in the tank will mean you can have 2 on display in the same tank.
Back to top Go down
GinaBallerina88
Pandinus
GinaBallerina88

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/2/2010, 11:07 pm

Ah, well that stinks. Did a little research and didn't really find anything promising either. I wanted to see them cuddle and stuff so i suppose i'll just stick to scorps. Thank you!
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/2/2010, 11:46 pm

I thought there were a species or two that were communal, I'll see if I can find something out. Anybody know anything about pinktoes? I know OBT's can be as slings but am thinking that they are not as adults. And if you haven't any T's yet, those may not be the best choice :/
Back to top Go down
JMason19
Hadogenes
JMason19

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-06-03

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 6:31 am

Pinktoes are communal from what Ive read. Though only when theyre about the same size.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 7:28 am

GinaBallerina88 wrote:
Ah, well that stinks. Did a little research and didn't really find anything promising either. I wanted to see them cuddle and stuff so i suppose i'll just stick to scorps. Thank you!

"See them cuddle and stuff"? Haha, that's great! Get a puppy...

JMason19 wrote:
Pinktoes are communal from what Ive read. Though only when theyre about the same size.

Oh, noooo... No, no, no no! No tarantulas are communal! It's possible ofcorse til one gets hungry (the female) and that's it!

My advice: Don't even try it!
Back to top Go down
GinaBallerina88
Pandinus
GinaBallerina88

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 9:58 am

Well, I built my emps a burrow right up along the glass, and anytime you look in there they are all piled up on each other "cuddling". I know that's not really what they're doing, but hey, I can pretend, so don't shatter my delusions! :-P

Ito - I have come across a few peices that say it is possible for some species to tolerate eachother for a time, but eventually they are just going to get annoyed and eat eachothers faces off. :-X Ohhhhh well.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 11:06 am

I'll post up what I found a little later on today, but a buddy of mine who is all about T's listed off some species that are communal and he has some set up communally as we speak. Pokies are one of them, P. Regalis specifically
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 11:25 am

iitomodachi1 wrote:
I'll post up what I found a little later on today, but a buddy of mine who is all about T's listed off some species that are communal and he has some set up communally as we speak. Pokies are one of them, P. Regalis specifically

I really recommend you don't, as it's only a matter of time!

Plus Poecilotheria is not a specie for beginners! They are fast as hell and aggressive...
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 12:53 pm

René wrote:
iitomodachi1 wrote:

I really recommend you don't, as it's only a matter of time!

Plus Poecilotheria is not a specie for beginners! They are fast as hell and aggressive...

Well, I'm not trying to argue or anything, I'm just repeating what a trusted friend has told me. I'm by far not expert with T's. I think I will try this down the road with some pokies myself though. I will keep everyone updated on it if/when I try it.

However I do agree on the Pokies not being a good species for beginners. I would not recommend any old world T's for a first T. Much nastier bite and most are a lot more aggressive. So this I will not argue with at all.

I will not argue in general with it as I'd prefer to take the better to be safer then sorry theory.

On top of the fact that if they are communal you probably won't get much cuddling action anyway Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 1:08 pm

Well, wasn't taken as an argument Wink

I would do as _scorpio_ said and just divide the enclosure or something like that. Ofcorse you can try it, but it's kinda expensive fodder Rolling Eyes

And again, as far as the cuddling goes, I really think you should get a couple of hamsters instead if you can't appreciate the nature of these animals... NOT meant as a negative statement about you GinaBallerina88, just my advice!
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 1:42 pm

Rene, I didn't think you were trying to argue I just wanted to make sure that you didn't think I wasn't as it was not my intention despite differences in posts. There is a lot of wisdom floating around this forum Very Happy
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 1:59 pm

do whatever you want, just post up the results every now an then and we will see what the evidence says.
theories are good but proper evidence (ie. not a one off occurrence) is always better.

René wrote:

And again, as far as the cuddling goes, I really think you should get a couple of hamsters instead if you can't appreciate the nature of these animals...
remember though, any animal can turn cannibalistic, and some hamsters (winter whites especially) are way up there on the cannibal-o-meter with H. arizonensis and P. cavimanus.

also, i am fairly sure she hasnt mentioned handling them or anything irresponsible, and posting this question to make sure she didnt do it wrong shows she is actually being very careful and has the animals best interests at heart.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 2:08 pm

Scorpio's right, even hamsters sometimes will fight to the death!

I don't know many people who have tried communal setups with T's anyways, but would like to read up on it.
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 5:04 pm

No tarantula is comunal but some Poecs will tollerate it to an extent.I would setup a cage next to the scorp cage with a dwarf species of tarantula.
Just for the heck of it here is a pic of a couple Redclaws "cuddling" Very Happy
I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... IMG_0490snuggles-1
Back to top Go down
GinaBallerina88
Pandinus
GinaBallerina88

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 5:57 pm

YES!!!!!! And there it is! :-) For some reason, that is so adorable to me! <3 Here are these ferocious little guys that strike terror in the hearts of many- just snuggling away like it's a sunday afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 6:05 pm

GinaBallerina88 wrote:
YES!!!!!! And there it is! :-) For some reason, that is so adorable to me! <3 Here are these ferocious little guys that strike terror in the hearts of many- just snuggling away like it's a sunday afternoon.
I was very surprized when I saw it ! Unfortunately they ended up munching each other! Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 6:06 pm

GinaBallerina88 wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/3/2010, 9:04 pm

I was about to say P. regalis too iito, only one i've ever heard people keeping them communally.
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/5/2010, 11:27 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LQQlODcgbQ&feature=channel

A P.regalis communal set up.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty11/6/2010, 3:53 am

Chrome wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LQQlODcgbQ&feature=channel

A P.regalis communal set up.

Interesting video, but in the third comment on the video it says he disbanded the colony because one was cannibalized.
This video has more promising results: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JFG5EpPp24&NR=1
And this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4Uufdydeo&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....   I <3 my scorpies! Andddd.... Empty

Back to top Go down

I <3 my scorpies! Andddd....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: The Scorpion's Lair :: Scorpions In General-
Jump to: