The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

How should i convince my parents?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ScorpionSam
Hadogenes
ScorpionSam

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2010-10-24

How should i convince my parents? Empty
PostSubject: How should i convince my parents?   How should i convince my parents? Empty10/31/2010, 12:26 pm

Hey im sam and im realy intrested in Arachnids and repltiles, which is very unlucky for me my mother is terrified of snakes and any other reptiles she likes geckos but said she would never want one and won't let me get one she however realy likes arachnids and doesn't mind them at all. My father is terrified of Tarantula's and was a bit hessitant about me getting a scorpion, the thing is he realy likes reptiles and wanted me to get a gecko. so as you can see my dilemma is both parents dislike and like the opposite things. anyway i have been looking at some T's and i would realy like to get a B.Smithi seeing as how docile and low maintanence they are, any tips on convincing my parents? Smile P.S on average how much would a nice set up and a adult B.Smithi cost me in british pounds?
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: How should i convince my parents?   How should i convince my parents? Empty10/31/2010, 12:50 pm

dont get an adult. they cost too much especially if you get a female (i have seen them for £80+). males cost less because they will be dead in a few years of purchase.
get a juvenile and you can watch it grow and the initial costs will be lower. feeding is really cheap, and rather than crickets or locusts i use meal worms for the young ones and morio worms for adults, barely any chance of escape and much easier to feed with.

i would say buy one of these: http://www.thespidershop.co.uk/insect/product_info.php?products_id=2300
not a smithi but in my opinion a better looking tarantula. i bought one a fewweeks ago and its a good size, not so small you have to feed it really small stuff, but its also brightly colored.

all you need for the set up is a cocofibre brick. a medium tank (i would say about 25cm x 20cm x20cm if not a bit smaller), the best ones being the acrylic tanks with the ventilated plastic lids which clip on really tight. and a few bits of decour and a hide (smash up a coconut and put the bits of shell in).

and do not pick it up.

as for your dad, i hated spiders, even when i first kept scorpions, so at an invertebrate show i bought the biggest female Chilean rose (grammostola rosea) i could find and basically im now only a bit wary of venomous things that aren't in cages. tell him to stop being so afraid of it and then when your mother sees how he got over his (rational) fear of spiders, she will look really silly if she is scared of a gecko.

Back to top Go down
ScorpionSam
Hadogenes
ScorpionSam

PostSubject: Re: How should i convince my parents?   How should i convince my parents? Empty10/31/2010, 2:46 pm

haha thanks man i don't even understand how i convinced my dad to get me my emperor. and im probably going to be moving out in maybe a year or so, so i may just wait till then Razz
Back to top Go down
ScorpionSam
Hadogenes
ScorpionSam

PostSubject: Re: How should i convince my parents?   How should i convince my parents? Empty10/31/2010, 3:00 pm

i've just had a look on that site their is a realy nice starter kit thats suprisingly cheap. i was also thinking about a G. rosea if not the B. smithi but i heard they have mood swings is this true?
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: How should i convince my parents?   How should i convince my parents? Empty10/31/2010, 3:27 pm

well, mine has never flicked hairs but she got a bit more moody after her molt. i find the brachyplemas tend to flick hairs a lot more than the g. rosea.
however, she is brown, and even the red morphs are just reddish brown. the brachys seem to be a much better display species.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How should i convince my parents?   How should i convince my parents? Empty11/11/2010, 1:32 pm

Grammostola rosea is just as good a starter tarantula as brachypelma smithi/boehmi... It's true that buying a young spider may be cheaper but the chance of it dieing is also pretty big + with b. smithi it takes a long time for it to reach adulthood but on the other hand they live as long as 20 years... G. rosea is a lot faster (and dies faster aswell)!

I have a brachypelma smithi and I'm really happy about it! I bought it as subadult for about 35£ and 3 weeks later it took the molt to adult, so i was really lucky How should i convince my parents? 129887
In my oppinion the b. smithi is the best tarantula there is when it comes to temperament and colours! I'd say pay the extra money and get an adult or get an adult g. rosea (if you don't care about the rather boring look)... Don't get slings!
Back to top Go down
ScorpionSam
Hadogenes
ScorpionSam

PostSubject: Re: How should i convince my parents?   How should i convince my parents? Empty12/2/2010, 4:57 pm

this is an old post but i was looking into it a bit more and the G.pulchra is SWEET! i love the jet black colour aswell as it being generally the most docile T about! Smile!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How should i convince my parents?   How should i convince my parents? Empty

Back to top Go down

How should i convince my parents?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum! :: Other Pets :: Tarantulas, Spiders, and Other Arachnids-
Jump to: