The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28
AuthorMessage
Andrew Leigh
Centruroides

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2012-01-03

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   9/20/2015, 4:33 am

Growth rate.

My P. Trans's are doing very well and are kept in separate enclosures within a humidity controlled larger 3' fish tank at circa 33 deg C. They are all fed at the same intervals with near as dammit the same size crickets. The containers are rotated at each feed so that each gets the same exposure to the heat source which is three black heat heaters spread at even intervals.

Why then is the rate of growth so different? Currently they are busy with their 4th to 5th moult with the larger scorp's at least 1.5x the size of other siblings while some have yet to moult 30 days after the first.

I spent a lot of time and effort in making sure conditions were the same to ensure that growth was the same. At 5th instar the pedipalp's have yet to show any differentiation for sexing purposes but could it be that the sizes are due to gender?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegromgrom
Breeder

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   9/22/2015, 9:17 pm

Andrew Leigh wrote:
Growth rate.

My P. Trans's are doing very well and are kept in separate enclosures within a humidity controlled larger 3' fish tank at circa 33 deg C. They are all fed at the same intervals with near as dammit the same size crickets. The containers are rotated at each feed so that each gets the same exposure to the heat source which is three black heat heaters spread at even intervals.

Why then is the rate of growth so different? Currently they are busy with their 4th to 5th moult with the larger scorp's at least 1.5x the size of other siblings while some have yet to moult 30 days after the first.

I spent a lot of time and effort in making sure conditions were the same to ensure that growth was the same. At 5th instar the pedipalp's have yet to show any differentiation for sexing purposes but could it be that the sizes are due to gender?

They can be sexed as early as 2-3i. The females have an enlarged middle basal lamella
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thegromgrom
Breeder

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2013-03-31

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   9/29/2015, 8:30 am

Parabuthus transvaalicus, another brood. This one from a larger, brown female that my friend Envyism gave me. This was totally a surprise, he was over and I wanted to pull her and the other females into separate brooding enclosures to find her with a brood! One male was sitting next to her, and as we found them, she batted him away with her metasoma

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scorpion19981000
Administrator

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   11/3/2015, 1:16 am

Beautiful.† Smile

"Life is a gamble. You can get hurt, but people die in plane crashes, lose their arms and legs in car accidents; people die every day. Same with fighters: some die, some get hurt, some go on. You just donít let yourself believe it will happen to you."
-Muhammad Ali

My Youtube Channel.
My inverts:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   

Back to top Go down

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 28 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 26, 27, 28