The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp.

Go down 
+54
thegromgrom
~Abyss~
Yames
F1refly
toidy
jeblbej
Parabuthus21
Scorpion19981000
lmiller
shadowfoot
Andrew Leigh
meteor
shebeen
liocheles
shining
Obeah
Henderson
beene38
AnthonyNeubauer
tfleming
Annababe
leiurusSaleen820
Will3
Chrome
Jay
Cyanide
Streettrash
Bedlam
tlb_05
DolbyR
pluto
spinnin_tom
Envyizm
patrickm
Vin Diesel
BradPitbull
gudb0i
Buggs
Dracennights
*~BEX~*
levi
Mr. Mordax
Canth
Kristopher
Jorpion
Manser
Lester
TELOW
iitomodachi1
Kerrby
H. laoticus
Scott Land
anemiaffx
**GS**
58 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 5:24 am

Perhaps the following Smile

Keep your P. Trans well fed and comfortable in their enclosure + lots of patience + Luck What a Face

H. laoticus is right, maybe you can try again at least 3-4 days later.
The "Ric Flair " slap should be a sign that your scorp is not hungry, many of my scorps does that too.

Last edited by GS on 12/9/2010, 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2010-11-03

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 7:43 am

Do they have a feed me pose like the emps?
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 7:55 am

How long would a ptrans survive without food?i cant offer them water right?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 9:18 am

Levi, how often are you attempting to feed your scorp? Have you tried different food?

Make sure you are leaving your scorp alone for at least 1/2 week - 1 week before attempting to feed it again. It may not be hungry and by attempting to keep feeding it, it may be stressing the scorp out making it not want to take food.

Also, after 1/2 week - 1 week try a different food type. Try a cricket or if you are concerned, try a meal worm or super worm (they are not bad for your scorp, just not the best for them to feed as a staple part of the diet) so once in a while is just fine.

Are you trying to feed them B. Lats? Or what kind of roach?

Lastly are you maiming the roach by tearing all the legs off every time? Is it still moving after you do this? Because you want the scorp to notice it. (Some scorps of mine will chase the prey when my tongs are in the tank, and some wait until I'm well out of there before showing nay interest only after they feel I'm completely gone). Anyways if you have always maimed them by tearing the legs off try only removing a few if you are worried that the scorp can not catch them, this way the roach will still be moving and easier for the scorp to notice.

If by following the above (unless someone adds another possibility that I overlooked) your scorp is still not eating, and you feel the enclosure is set up as natural as possible, light and temps are acceptable then just leave it alone for a while. Seriously, don't even look at it for at least 3-7 days. I know it's hard but if you don't you will end up stressing the scorp out and eventually it will kill it. And if it still doesn't work, there's nothing else that can be done anyways.

If it isn't the stress, maybe it's a molt, and if you stress a scorp out at that time and they could waylay their molt and die from that, as the molting process is a difficult prccess for every scorp, taking a lot of energy and is very risky not uncommonly resulting in death anyways.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 11:18 am

+1 to iitomodachi1

levi bro, i know its tempting but we should really minimise stress to our scorps as much as we can Smile

levi wrote:
How long would a ptrans survive without food?i cant offer them water right?

I'm not sure how long a P.Trans can survive without food but pls don't put them to the test.. lolz

With regards to water supply, they can obtain most of the moisture needed from their feeders but do practice either one of the following as well:

Option 1: You can provide a water bowl and fill once every 2 weeks or once a month

Option 2: You can mist a side of the enclosure once every 2 weeks or once a month (Do make sure you do not get the mist on your P.Trans)

Sample Video of P. Trans drinking from a mist:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 1:42 pm

Thought I just post the pic of my little Parabuthus Transvaalicus (2nd instar) here aswell! It's the soul-survivor of a shipment of 6 Parabuthus Transvaalicus, so if it makes it to adult, it's gonna be the first scorpion I'm gonna name (he/she deserves it Very Happy )

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 L1410915
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 1:48 pm

If he can outlive the rest, i believe he/she is one of the strongest!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 1:51 pm

Yea, the funny thing is, that it's also the smallest of them all :hulk:
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 8:52 pm

René wrote:
Yea, the funny thing is, that it's also the smallest of them all :hulk:

I guess he/she's the freebie from the batch? Give it a name, easier to mention about him/her when we talk about tough P.Trans Smile
Little Hulky perhaps :hulk:
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 9:50 pm

Yeah and she's a beauty!! I just got my 8 PT's in the mail on Wed but all 8 were DOA Sad I was very bummed. I believe it was all due to the packing. I got a full refund though and 1/2 the shipping so it was made good, the 4 freebies (C. Sculpturatus) survived too which was cool, but the P. Trans were all I cared about Sad I'll be posting a review on about the transaction if anyone wants more info on it. I worked with Roy on here and despite the outcome he is great to work with. Great on the communication and real quick about offering whatever to make things right. So all in all it went well with an unfortunate twist for the scorps. I wouldn't hesitate to work with Roy again, he's a very stand up guy and someone I have no problems trusting at all. As for my others that I'm still waiting for, I'm starting to get a little aggravated.

All in all, sorry to hear about your ordeal Rene but am very glad you had at least one survivor Very Happy
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 10:18 pm

iitomodachi1 wrote:
Yeah and she's a beauty!! I just got my 8 PT's in the mail on Wed but all 8 were DOA Sad I was very bummed. I believe it was all due to the packing. I got a full refund though and 1/2 the shipping so it was made good, the 4 freebies (C. Sculpturatus) survived too which was cool, but the P. Trans were all I cared about Sad I'll be posting a review on about the transaction if anyone wants more info on it. I worked with Roy on here and despite the outcome he is great to work with. Great on the communication and real quick about offering whatever to make things right. So all in all it went well with an unfortunate twist for the scorps. I wouldn't hesitate to work with Roy again, he's a very stand up guy and someone I have no problems trusting at all. As for my others that I'm still waiting for, I'm starting to get a little aggravated.

All in all, sorry to hear about your ordeal Rene but am very glad you had at least one survivor Very Happy

man.. sry to hear about the P.Trans DOAs.. glad you have a responsible dealer thou Smile
You shld have 3 other P.Trans coming?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/9/2010, 10:34 pm

GS wrote:
man.. sry to hear about the P.Trans DOAs.. glad you have a responsible dealer thou Smile
You shld have 3 other P.Trans coming?

I'm supposed to have 3 coming yes, but I'm getting a little worried, I keep seeing bad reviews on this guy despite the few good ones I had heard from people I know. We'll see what happens :/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/10/2010, 5:12 am

iitomodachi1 wrote:

Maybe I should have dealt with roy anyway! Very Happy

Sorry to hear about your loss, must be something going around Chin Scratch Seems like this puts a definately stop to the scorpion-shipping-season!

Was it in a complete styrofoam box?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/10/2010, 9:40 am

René wrote:
Sorry to hear about your loss, must be something going around Chin Scratch Seems like this puts a definately stop to the scorpion-shipping-season!Was it in a complete styrofoam box?

I'm not giving up on the season yet Very Happy The scorps were not in a styrofoam box nor was any construction grade styrofoam insulation used. The heat pack was a microwavable hot/cold compress so it had cooled down before leaving Cali. We are still talking and I shared with him some links of the 12 hour hand warmers/ heaters as well as links of the construction grade foam insulation so this doesn't happen again in the future.

Like I said he was really great about the situation. There was a stated No LAG but he still refunded my money but the shipping, that was split, so I got half of it back. I thought that was fair as I had the feeling this was definitely not intentional I still got the freebies and they lived and there was the previously stated no LAG.

However if you would have dealt with Roy I don't think the C. Sculpturatus would have survived the extra travel. They were very slow when I got them out and don't think they would have lasted another 1/2 day in transit.

I'm just really bummed I couldn't get the PT's, so close and so frustrating. This also will slow things down for this species in the states as I would have bred them and there aren't that many available at the moment Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/11/2010, 8:12 am

iitomodachi1 wrote:
I'm not giving up on the season yet Very Happy The scorps were not in a styrofoam box nor was any construction grade styrofoam insulation used. The heat pack was a microwavable hot/cold compress so it had cooled down before leaving Cali. We are still talking and I shared with him some links of the 12 hour hand warmers/ heaters as well as links of the construction grade foam insulation so this doesn't happen again in the future.

What the **** does people expect!? that is such a waste of scorpions Evil or Very Mad

iitomodachi1 wrote:
Like I said he was really great about the situation. There was a stated No LAG but he still refunded my money but the shipping, that was split, so I got half of it back. I thought that was fair as I had the feeling this was definitely not intentional I still got the freebies and they lived and there was the previously stated no LAG.

However if you would have dealt with Roy I don't think the C. Sculpturatus would have survived the extra travel. They were very slow when I got them out and don't think they would have lasted another 1/2 day in transit.

I'm just really bummed I couldn't get the PT's, so close and so frustrating. This also will slow things down for this species in the states as I would have bred them and there aren't that many available at the moment Sad

I hope you eventually will succeed in breeding them (and ship some my way Wink ) ! Would be good for both the hobby and the wild!
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/11/2010, 8:33 am

sir gs i found my scorp with his tail down but not dragging just laying out of her hole sprawled like that..just like you said it would do i wont bother her anymore and just wait..wish she's ok..
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/11/2010, 11:00 am

levi wrote:
sir gs i found my scorp with his tail down but not dragging just laying out of her hole sprawled like that..just like you said it would do i wont bother her anymore and just wait..wish she's ok..
My pre-molt 4i is doing that too.. as long as the tail isn't being drag when on the move it should be fine.
Nice of you to give him/her some time to relax and probably to prepare for her molt Smile

iitomodachi1 wrote:

It sure does slow things down as i'm sure they'll be in good hands under your care.
Really hope they'll reach you soon bro Smile
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/11/2010, 11:14 am

As i have observed (with out any intrusion of any sort)hehe,she isnt dragging it while walking..tail pops right up back when she move..so this is a good thing huh?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/11/2010, 12:09 pm

Yup, sounds like she is just fine Bro *Sigh, new scorpion parents, lol*
Do you have means of taking any pictures Bro, I don't recall if this had been covered yet, but it'd be cool to see some and if you have a molt coming on it is always amazing at how beautiful they look right after a molt! If you can, post em' up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Canth
Babycurus
Canth

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/11/2010, 12:53 pm

iitomodachi1 wrote:
René wrote:
Sorry to hear about your loss, must be something going around Chin Scratch Seems like this puts a definately stop to the scorpion-shipping-season!Was it in a complete styrofoam box?

(

I'm glad this guy is being a good sport about the whole thing but I'm sad to hear your scorps didn't make it Sad I recently shipped a few to TELOW and the Chaerilus arrived dead Sad From now on, I'm using foam boxes!

You might wanna show him the 40 hour heat packs instead, iitomodachi. Those extra hours can make the difference.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/11/2010, 1:50 pm

I have been looking into this stuff as I was going to ship for the first time but did not see anything longer than the 12 hour packs. Do you have a link, brand or a store you have found them at? I did send a link to the 12 hour ones and also a link to the foam insulation for building which I would use for lining the inside of the box if I couldn't find a foam cooler.

I think in the future he will be spot on, this was his first shipping experience too.

And yeah the scorps were the big thing, I don't mind paying a little extra I just wanted them to get here alive. But I guess it's a learning experience. Sad
Back to top Go down
Canth
Babycurus
Canth

Number of posts : 299
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/11/2010, 2:00 pm

Here ya go Smile
http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/deli-containers-shipping-boxes-packing-material/
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/11/2010, 2:18 pm

Awesome link Bro, thank you! I had seen those Vision cases and aside from the price they are amazing! I just had never noticed the shipping supplies Very Happy I will be placing an order with them soon and can hopefully get some of my babies out in the mail shortly after the 1st of the year.

Thanks again for posting this up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/13/2010, 10:33 am

My ptrans eating again..yeah!hehe
Back to top Go down
levi
Centruroides
levi

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty12/13/2010, 10:34 am

Do ptrans could reach 9i?is there such a thing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Parabuthus spp.   [Discussion] Parabuthus spp. - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

[Discussion] Parabuthus spp.
Page 6 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17 ... 28  Next