The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

bargain emps!!! yay!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty
PostSubject: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/14/2008, 4:47 pm

i havent had them beofore because they are less active than forest scorps but i couldnt resist these guys...
a whole wall was covered in scorp tanks...all with highly priced scorps which was ok because they were not in cramped little boxes but had a 5 gallon tank per pair!
this shop was new to me but it is now my favorite place in existance!! its brilliant!

after browsing through the vast collections trying to find some scorps that wouldnt cause my wallet to empty its contents i found a small sign saying"SALE! 1 GRAVED FEMALE AND A NON GRAVED(i know its spelt gravid but its there mistake not mine!) MALE! £5 EACH!!" (thats about $8 to my american friends...i think). i couldnt understand why these were going so cheap so i asked someone who worked there what was wrong with them and he said "nothing...we just dont have any room for baby ones". !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

i now have a two week gravid female and a male that escaped in my car by pushing the lid off his container...while standing on his tail!...clever little guys!

i got them home and put them in a 5 gallon plastic tank next to my bed and have put a red lamp over them...no heat mat.

the first thing the female did was dissapear into the one huge hide [thinking because they have been sharing a piece of bark before they would be fine with one, spacious hide] and the male went and circled the water bowl for a while and then went and had a wash before digging himself a " burrow" to small for a cricket to stand in and he sat there for 3 hours.
he then decided to join his mate [bad idea] who had taken over the hide and whose claws were hanging out the entrance snapping up everything that went near [4 crickets].
he walked casually over to his mate, tail and claws relaxed and wandered in.
he was grabbed by the claws and dragged in and, 5 hours later, i still havent seen either emerge.
a sign of happyness to be reunited with her mate or a sign of " WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?!?! OUT DRINKING WITH YOUR FRIENDS, THE CRICKETS!!!!?!!!!" Shocked affraid

Last edited by _scorpio_ on 4/14/2008, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/14/2008, 4:51 pm

LOL!! just as i finished writing that, my male emp came rushing out after a fat cricket!!! LOL!!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/14/2008, 6:38 pm

Sounds like you've had some fun!!

Also sounds like a good shop, but one that doesn't know quite everything -- emps can take up to 18 months for gestation.

But that's still an awesome deal. What a Face
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/14/2008, 6:49 pm

Great deal...you should post up some pics.
-Eddy
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/15/2008, 9:22 am

if you have the gravid female in with the male then its best before the birth to put her into her own tank. She isnt going to eat her young unless stressed, the male is likely to see them as food.

xxxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/15/2008, 12:04 pm

im going to wait untill she is really fat because he is very defensive and stands at the entrance to the hide and stings anything that goes near it so ill let her feel safe for a while.
he also brings food to her! wich i diddnt think they did but maybe he just doesnt want to get stung again.
when will she stop eating?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/15/2008, 2:55 pm

She'll stop eating when she refuses food. Very Happy

Sorry if that's not helpful. I didn't feed my het for a few months before she birthed because I thought she was fat.

I'd separate the male simply because some females see them as a threat to the offspring (whether or not they are) and may kill him.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/15/2008, 3:00 pm

i would but i havnt got another tank to put it in
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/15/2008, 3:11 pm

I would say get one and rehome the male. I know its a pain! but I wish I had known my grrl was gravid. I lost him to sudden random death October 13th 2007!
She gave birth feb 5th 2008! So its not like they wait until birth is just about to come
xxxx
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/15/2008, 3:13 pm

how long are they normally gravid for?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/15/2008, 3:24 pm

can be 18 months.

if I was to take my females conception to being after I bought her with the male then....8 months!
But that doesnt include if maybe she was gravid before, or after being bought from Pinchy.

xxxxx
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/15/2008, 3:26 pm

EIGHTEEN MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Edited by mod]
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/15/2008, 3:37 pm

can be!
now lets take it from when I bought my male and female.

As I said I dont know if she was gravid when I brought her and not showing but when I got them they both were slim!
30th June 2007 bought male and female
13th October 2007 male found dead
5th Febuary Stingy gives birth to 18 scorplings.

she stopped feeding when Pinchy was still alive. Around xmas she ate two small crickets after a long long fast.

So from buying her, in 8 months I had scorplings.
Maybe she is a mother with experience but it all depends on the settings. If she isnt 100% certain of the conditions she can hold the pregnancy and not give birth.
But if things are ok for her, she will pop.
And one thing for making it ok for little young is to make sure noone is around to munch on your offspring
xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/15/2008, 4:14 pm

Connie, it sounds like yours was gravid when you got her. I've heard that the minimum gestation for emperors is about nine months and can take as long as 18 months.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/16/2008, 12:20 pm

she didnt look gravid. She was thin! didnt balloon for a while and then all of a sudden she was HUGE!
I understand she could have been gravid, but I dont know who was the father...from the wild or Pinchy or the other male she was in the tank with in the shop
xxxx
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/16/2008, 2:14 pm

they are normally gravid when imported because some pet shops like to have baby ones for sale
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/16/2008, 3:15 pm

Pet stores almost never carry baby scorpions. Most are gravid when imported because they ship them over in big boxes o' emps, so if they weren't mated in the wild, it's easy for it to happen during transit.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/16/2008, 4:14 pm

damn the internet and its useless words!!! Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/17/2008, 6:04 pm

bargain emps!!! yay!!! C:\Documents and Settings\jordan\Desktop\My Pictures\scorpion pics
it better work now
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/17/2008, 7:26 pm

Bro, you need to put a URL not the file. You can host the file on serimg which is the free image hosting provided by this forum. The little button on top with a picture and a floppy disk takes you to Servimg.com. You may have to register but it only take 5 minutes and then you never register again.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/17/2008, 7:27 pm

You can also use photobucket which is the same thing but I cant see photobucket pics at work so I recomend you use Servimg.com instead.
Back to top Go down
PeterUK
Pandinus
PeterUK

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/17/2008, 10:06 pm

I bought 5.13 WC adult emperors last July and have kept them all seperate since getting them.
Eleven of the females have had young in the last 4-6 weeks with a total of 217 scorplings that has lef the mothers back but there have been a few that didnt make the first molt.
I find it amazing that they all have given birth within a relatively short period of time.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty4/18/2008, 8:49 am

ooh you have lots of scorplings!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bargain emps!!! yay!!!   bargain emps!!! yay!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

bargain emps!!! yay!!!
Page 1 of 1