The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Babycurus jacksoni breeding question

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gnat
Centruroides
Gnat

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-09-26

Babycurus jacksoni breeding question Empty
PostSubject: Babycurus jacksoni breeding question   Babycurus jacksoni breeding question Empty10/19/2010, 4:35 am

are Babycurus jacksoni capable of parthenogenesis? or can they store sperm from a single mating to produce multiple broods? i have a female i got in January and she had a brood back in June. the babies from that brood are starting to molt to 4i and she had another brood about a week and a half ago, all those are at 2i but still on mom. she is the only adult i have and has certainly not mated since her first brood. am i to expect a brood every few months from her for the rest of her life?
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/gnat
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni breeding question   Babycurus jacksoni breeding question Empty10/19/2010, 2:31 pm

I believe it's the latter. I think I read it somewhere recently, but I'll have to find it again. I believe they can store sperm and have broods, but there is a limit to the broods which is connected to their life line. I'll look this up later today unless someone can clarify before then.
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni breeding question   Babycurus jacksoni breeding question Empty10/19/2010, 7:21 pm

They can store sperm but that does not mean that a population somewhere is parthenogenic, but the ones in captivity need a mate as far as I know.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni breeding question   Babycurus jacksoni breeding question Empty10/22/2010, 4:27 am

I read a bit more and found that they can store the sperm and give birth up to 5 times before dying.
Back to top Go down
Gnat
Centruroides
Gnat

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2009-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni breeding question   Babycurus jacksoni breeding question Empty10/23/2010, 3:03 am

sweet! maybe ill get a few more broods from her. thanks for looking that up
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/gnat
TELOW
Centruroides
TELOW

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni breeding question   Babycurus jacksoni breeding question Empty10/24/2010, 10:22 am

yes they store sperm.
its more likely that a single female breeding with more than 1 male will produce
by stored sperm rather than 1 breedin sesion but it is true they do store sperm.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Babycurus jacksoni breeding question   Babycurus jacksoni breeding question Empty

Back to top Go down

Babycurus jacksoni breeding question
Page 1 of 1