The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

H. Petersii broken leg

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

H. Petersii broken leg Empty
PostSubject: H. Petersii broken leg   H. Petersii broken leg Empty10/16/2010, 6:04 pm

Hi guys,

I noticed my male H. Petersii had a problem with its rear right leg, i put him in a box for a closer look and found that it was hanging off! its still attatched by a small part of the exoskeleton but other than that its pretty much severed at the point where it meets the body.

I was just wondering if i should take him out and removed the leg and if so what can i do to prevent infection and bleeding?

also i noticed he seems pretty thin and suspect that hte female he's bunked with might be taking his share of hte food, shes also gravid or should be soon because i found a spermatophore the other week there, it should still be safe to keep them together right?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: H. Petersii broken leg   H. Petersii broken leg Empty10/16/2010, 7:13 pm

Sounds like the female gave this poor fellow a walloping.

I would remove them if the female is gravid. From some of the other posts, a gravid female is like a timebomb waiting to explode. Both in rage, and in cute little critters.

I couldn't offer advice on whether you should remove the leg, but if it starts bleeding I know someone once said to cauterize using flour.

Probably should wait for a direct comment from someone else though, just to be sure I didn't just dream about reading these things on this site.
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: H. Petersii broken leg   H. Petersii broken leg Empty10/16/2010, 7:45 pm

Like Kerrby said the female probably bullied him due to being gravid.Remove him asap .As far as the leg goes you can grab it with long tweezers and quickly pull it off without hesitation.There shouldn't be any bleeding but if it does and does not stop you can put talc on the wound or even powdered cake icing sugar or any other fine powder.You can buy a stop bleed product at the petstore in the bird sectiion,it is a fine powdery stuff like talc.
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: H. Petersii broken leg   H. Petersii broken leg Empty10/17/2010, 1:22 pm

yeah i heard about using corn flour for "bandaging" wounds, might juist do that tonight then

As for the female shes not long gravid and she was 2 weeks from popping when i first introduvced the male last year so wonder whats gotten into her this time lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: H. Petersii broken leg   H. Petersii broken leg Empty10/17/2010, 5:06 pm

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H. Petersii broken leg   H. Petersii broken leg Empty

Back to top Go down

H. Petersii broken leg
Page 1 of 1