The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

Emergency Babies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Scott Land
Tityus

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/15/2010, 12:00 pm

231bex wrote:
Scott Land wrote:
You are welcome! Scorps are tough and a few species have made colonys in far off lands from where they originated ,without harm .

Yeah like the euscorpius flavicaudis in sheerness in the uk (which we recently visited) they are believed to have come from italy on shipments of masonary and they manage to live in cracks in the wall down a normal street opposite houses with no problems at all...amazes me how adaptable some creatures are!
Good example! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott Land
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/15/2010, 12:06 pm

Addendum: If in doubt don't use the item in question,more than likely it is safe but every situation is different.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/17/2010, 3:39 pm

Little Update; The Hottentotta Trilineatus babies are doing great still 8/8! The H. Spinigerus babies came off of moms back at exactly 7 days, every one of them. I couldn't see them for a day or two because mom had closed off the burrow. So I got curious when I saw one crawling around looking like he had molted. I lifted the rock up and there is mom with nothing on her back and a ton of babies zipping around.

I had found 2 dead in the water dish and when I started pulling them out I found another dead one. Mom had been taking crickets from me every other day and she had left half of on for the babies also. I think maybe a couple still got munched, not sure though. All in all I pulled 35 out exactly! Tried the tackle box thing but they were getting out as I was putting them in so I went the condiment container route. $0.80 for 40 at the grocery store. Only down side is the sore thumb from poking holes! Anyways, thought I'd share and I'll try to stick a few picks up too. Stay tuned for those Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/17/2010, 3:51 pm

As promised -

1st; heres a fit and trip mother

and the fit and trim Moms eating a molting cricket, he didn't put up much of a fuss Very Happy

There will be more baby shots to come, I wasn't sure how these would turn out as they are tiny lil' things but here is a shot of those...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
*~BEX~*
Administrator

Number of posts : 4245
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/17/2010, 4:08 pm

Aw wow great pics can't wait till we are our first scorplings have a sneaky feeling our emp is gravid so fingers crossed.... And congrats to you!!

https://youtu.be/Rq69ZvELDoM
Twitter Bex @R32BEX
Pinterest username - helly3ah
https://www.pinterest.com/helly3ah/my-pets/
Guild Wars 2 - BBEXX.9042

Click here for Pictures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/17/2010, 4:23 pm

Thanks Smile I'm happy about the Hottentotta babies but wasn't ready for the H. Spinigerus babies. This is a lot to deal with but so far I'm staying on top of it and having 3 gone already and another 5 spoken for that is a dent in the 35 I ended with upon separation! I may just end up trying to give away this whole brood, not sure yet. They are great starter scorps in my opinion for a more arid species. They are medium size, look good and are fun to watch and relatively inexpensive if you buy them from a breeder, so maybe I'll keep some for breading in the future when I'm more prepared for it Smile

Good luck on your emp, if you want to experience arachnid motherhood I hope she is gravid! Will be not as bad if they are communal. The Spinigerus I worry about trying a communal set up again. The Hottentotta I will keep separate until they mature and then I will introduce them to the colony (of course upgrading tank size Smile)

Last edited by iitomodachi1 on 10/17/2010, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot something :/)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
*~BEX~*
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/17/2010, 4:47 pm

Wow 35 is a lot well done with coping with it all, Shame yr not in the uk or vise versa I would definatly take some of your hands, and can't wait to experience arachnid motherhood gotta be easier than human motherhood lol Smile

Twitter Bex @R32BEX

Click here for Pictures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott Land
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/17/2010, 4:49 pm

Very nice! Congrats! You might want to add a few rocks to the water bowl to insure babys and crickets can safely get out of the water.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/17/2010, 9:56 pm

231bex wrote:
Wow 35 is a lot well done with coping with it all, Shame yr not in the uk or vise versa I would definatly take some of your hands, and can't wait to experience arachnid motherhood gotta be easier than human motherhood lol Smile

Wish that was the case too Smile Now I'm officially down to 29 (24 included the spoken for ones)! I think I can, I think I can!
As for the motherhood thing, I know my Moms and Grandma were great but from my experience with my baby momma drama, nothing is easier than being a mother, doesn't take my son, doesn't pay for anything, basically doesn't do anything, so I'd think that parenting scorps would be harder, but taking into consideration parenthood in general, obviously implying that you are a parent, definitely easier Smile My son wears me down every day!! But definitely worth it, not sure who else would enjoy this hobby with me Very Happy

Scott Land wrote:
Very nice! Congrats! You might want to add a few rocks to the water bowl to insure babys and crickets can safely get out of the water.

I do keep rocks in all of my water dishes. I'm really surprised that they couldn't get over to them. Oh well, that danger is now gone as I have them all pulled out of the original vivarium and they are all in their own condiment container and will be get getting their moisture via a squirt to the side of the container every couple of days or so. Got them all fed for the first time too but noticed 3 more dead ones. Not sure what happened there, but assume it is natural, all of the others were rather aggressive and definitely very animate! Also getting my cricket splitting down pat! Scalpels are amazing!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scott Land
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/17/2010, 10:08 pm

I figured you did but I mentioned the rocks just in case plus to alert newbies . Casualtys are definitely to be expected,I fed the dead ones to the siblings .Once you have to split a bunch you definitely become a master of splitting crickets. LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
*~BEX~*
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/18/2010, 7:53 am

Quote :
Wish that was the case too Smile Now I'm officially down to 29 (24 included the spoken for ones)! I think I can, I think I can!
As for the motherhood thing, I know my Moms and Grandma were great but from my experience with my baby momma drama, nothing is easier than being a mother, doesn't take my son, doesn't pay for anything, basically doesn't do anything, so I'd think that parenting scorps would be harder, but taking into consideration parenthood in general, obviously implying that you are a parent, definitely easier Smile My son wears me down every day!! But definitely worth it, not sure who else would enjoy this hobby with me Very Happy

Well i find motherhood hard being a single parent of 2 girls age nearly 3 + 5 has got to be the hardest thing ive had to do by far...nice to hear of a man stepping up and looking after their kid, good on you! My experiance is the same as you but in reverse lol there father is a (insert swear) does nothing for them no money nothing! and has previously put us through hell! Evil or Very Mad

..... luckily though ive found now an awesome man (my fiancee Luke) that cares for us all he is one in a million! he really is! happy at last lol Very Happy

Twitter Bex @R32BEX

Click here for Pictures!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/18/2010, 8:37 am

231bex wrote:
Quote :

Well i find motherhood hard being a single parent of 2 girls age nearly 3 + 5 has got to be the hardest thing ive had to do by far...nice to hear of a man stepping up and looking after their kid, good on you! My experiance is the same as you but in reverse lol there father is a (insert swear) does nothing for them no money nothing! and has previously put us through hell! Evil or Very Mad

..... luckily though ive found now an awesome man (my fiancee Luke) that cares for us all he is one in a million! he really is! happy at last lol Very Happy

Awesome glad to hear it! Yeah the only thing I get are headaches lol!! I also agree on the single parent thing being the hardest thing you have to do! Worth it though! Speaking of which I gotta wake my little guy up for dinosaur train Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   10/18/2010, 8:38 am

Scott Land wrote:
I figured you did but I mentioned the rocks just in case plus to alert newbies . Casualtys are definitely to be expected,I fed the dead ones to the siblings .Once you have to split a bunch you definitely become a master of splitting crickets. LOL

Thanks Scott, and yeah tongs and scalpel are my favorite instruments at the moment and am getting it down to a science Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emergency Babies   

Back to top Go down

Emergency Babies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2