The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Sigh, bad things come in dozens...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Sigh, bad things come in dozens... Empty
PostSubject: Sigh, bad things come in dozens...   Sigh, bad things come in dozens... Empty10/7/2010, 4:18 pm

I've decided to write this as a story in order to make up for asking this question, which (having backlogged almost a years worth of posts has been asked a dozen times).

_____

It wasn't an unusual morning that day. Having gotten home from my job exhausted the morning before, and falling asleep at 4:30am, I woke around noon. I ate a quick breakfast of cheerios and raspberries, headed to the gym, and returned home to check on my scorpions.

My emp scorpion was snug as a bug. I changed her water, checked her soil humidity, and her temperature, and was pleased with myself that she's starting to show signs of an unstressed life.

I did the same with my Asian Forest. His shiny blue armour was always the highlight of my day. I changed the water, checked the levels, and then decided to steal a peak into his favorite hide.

Having been disturbing him the previous day by removing this hide in order to acquire some cricket legs, left over meals from 12 hours earlier, I was careful to leave him to his peace today.

He was burrowed, so all I could see was the promise of cricket death in his claws. But what I saw lying before him, almost stopped my heart...

...mites. Little white mites.

A ball of dirty goo lay infront of his claws. Most definately a part of the meal that I had missed. It had been 24 hours since last feeding. This little ball of goo was crawling, encased almost completely by little, white, mites.

I paniced, grabbed the log and my tweezers simultaniously, and removed the ball of crawling hatred.

I studied it for while, watching this little creatures. Having familiarized myself with them, I turned to the internet.

"White, clustered on food, seemingly rapid movement from some of them." However, I had never experienced mites before, so rapid movement is an entirely subjective term.

I grabbed my flashlight after transporting these to my outside garbage can, and inspected my scorpion "Slug" as carefully as possible without moving her. It was now 1:30pm, and I was late for work.

Thankfully, I did not see any on her, however I noticed another smaller ball covered in the same mites. I treated this like the first. There are also some in the dirt. Localized around her favorite feeding spot, which I had been so careful to maintain through OCD level cleaning.

Grabbing my camera... No good. The zoom wasen't clear enough on the things!

I googled for 30 minutes, and turned to my forum. I quickly realized they would be sick of another question involving mites, so I wrote a story, ending it with...

"I'm cool with these things provided they aren't swarming my bugs joints right? Probably helpful buggers?"
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Sigh, bad things come in dozens...   Sigh, bad things come in dozens... Empty10/7/2010, 4:29 pm

You're last statement says it all! they look bad but are probably helpful and will leave once the food source is gone.You can also get predatory mites if they multiply to much or dry out the substrate for a week or 2 leaving the water bowl.I have done all hese and all work .
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Sigh, bad things come in dozens...   Sigh, bad things come in dozens... Empty10/7/2010, 5:23 pm

they just clean up the bits you miss really. its when there fat, stuck to the scorp and causing the scorp discomfort that you have a problem.

Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

PostSubject: Re: Sigh, bad things come in dozens...   Sigh, bad things come in dozens... Empty10/7/2010, 6:39 pm

Ran home during lunch hour. Yeah, I'm that paranoid...

Thanks for the quick feedback guys.

Even with these guys, (provided I don't find them stuck to him tomorrow), should I change out my dirt and bleach-clean my tank?

I'm in the process of drying it out a bit (opened up the top to let some moisture out, and added my bigger water dish to the tank just to be sure) to stop growth and spread.
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

PostSubject: Re: Sigh, bad things come in dozens...   Sigh, bad things come in dozens... Empty10/7/2010, 7:54 pm

No need to change the dirt it will only cause unneeded stress.
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

PostSubject: Re: Sigh, bad things come in dozens...   Sigh, bad things come in dozens... Empty10/8/2010, 12:16 am

Thanks mate. I'll dry it out, keep it as is, and probably keep you posted on any changes.

Might try that "vasaline in a pillbox" trick.
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

PostSubject: Re: Sigh, bad things come in dozens...   Sigh, bad things come in dozens... Empty10/8/2010, 12:19 am

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sigh, bad things come in dozens...   Sigh, bad things come in dozens... Empty

Back to top Go down

Sigh, bad things come in dozens...
Page 1 of 1