The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
ChatBox

Share | 

picked up two new emps for my tank.......

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dracennights
Centruroides

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2010-08-26

PostSubject: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 9:27 pm

Ok here's a few pics of them...

I believe this is my adult male.

I believe this one is a gravid female... ok I'm hoping it is....

here the male is already starting to burrow deeper in the burrow I made them... been in the new home less the 10 minutes.

And here is the female eating her second cricket in the first 10 minutes of being in her new home.

ok so today I went to petco and finally bought me two scorps...I will be adding 6-8 more in the next month. had the viv setup for about 2 weeks now....wanted to make sure we have the temp and humidity are perfect before I being home the scorps... Ya I'm weird like that...still going to build a custom stand but that will be in a week or two.... anyway had a few things happen that I didn't expect from what all I have read on here.. I'm going to kinda list them so you guys can let me know what you think....

First as I said I bought them at petco they admit to not know anything about them.....they had 6 emps in a 5 gallon tank with 1/4" of substrate they know what they are doing wrong...but anyway.....they let me pick the two I want so first I picked the biggest one... got him in the container and sexed it... turns out from what this site has tough me it's was a male and I really wanted a female so I deside to take two.. I pick the second largest ones and it looks like a gravid female... so get it in the next container and sure enough female..... I tried to get pic for the site to double check my sexing but they just wouldn't come out clear....

now by the pics am I correct that I got 2 adults?

does one of them look gravid to your guys?

ok so I place them both in the viv and one found the burrow I started...you can see that in one of the pics above....the second one chose to walk around a bit then found the burrow.. they seamed to have a small tussle because the one that found the burrow right off had already started to burrow more... ya less then 10 minutes in the viv... from what I have read that is quick.... so after a minute the second emp (female) back out of the burrow eating a cricket... wow she was eating in under 10 minutes in the viv there again I read this not normal...

with the male already burrowing did I just do the viv right or did I just get one that started early?

with my female eating starting eating early like she did (petco had crickets running loose in the tank with all the emps.) so I figure she wasn't that hungry?

now they have been in the tank half hour to an hour yet they are both out running around checking out the tank.... boy are they active... their tank is currently 84.6 f humidity I'm not sure of the meter I got is pissing me off... but with the false bottom I'm sure it's good..... ok I'm going to post this one and add another post with more pics....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 9:42 pm

my facebook photo album....

ok facebook was having issues letting me post more pics so above is he link to my photo album on facebook......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dylstac
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 9:48 pm

Nice Photos Both Here And on Facebook
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 9:50 pm

thnx man.... I'm love the heck out of them.....I just wish I had bough all they had....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dylstac
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 9:54 pm

Haha Yer. I wish Australia would allow us to keep exotic species like the Emperor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 9:57 pm

heck with it I used the upload feature here on the site.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 9:59 pm

the viv will get an over haul here in a week or two... haven't been able to find all the decorations I wanted yet.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dylstac
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:03 pm

What do You Want?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the lycan mikey
Tityus

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:06 pm

Dracennights wrote:
the viv will get an over haul here in a week or two... haven't been able to find all the decorations I wanted yet.....

looks good so far
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:07 pm

LOL no there is between 5-8" it just doesn't look like it... the hill in the back left has 8" to cover the heat pad that's on the back of the tank....the front of the tank measures 5" there is 7 blocks of eco earth.... there is also a 1-1.5" false bottom not included in that measurements... but thnx for the concern... I'm going to be adding a few more plants and a few skulls for more hides.. there is already about 7 hides but I want the skulls in there...I saw a pic on here of a guy who has a croc skull in his viv and I like it.... I think I'm going either human or cat suck as wild cat....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:07 pm

thnx for the complements guys.. I'm happy as hell so far....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
the lycan mikey
Tityus

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:09 pm

good luck dude...
im actually kind of anxious to see what you do with it (the viv)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:11 pm

thnx man.... if look look at my facebook pics you can see my false bottom.. it only added like 8lbs to the tank... very worth while... I will be doing a write up on it...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dylstac
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:14 pm

How long have u had them so far?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:22 pm

less then 3 hours....they have already eaten burrowed explored the full viv at least 4-8 times each... I'm loving these guys I can now see how they are so addicting...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:22 pm

I just got a few more shots of the female walking around the tank.. I will upload when I get lots more...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dylstac
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:23 pm

They are making pretty fast progress ayye
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:26 pm

ya thats what got me with them.. but then again. the viv had been setup like this for almost 2 weeks.... heat and humidity are perfect...I think they felt like I released them into the wild which was my goal...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dylstac
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:29 pm

Thats Good. Still waiting for my first scorp. Should come in either this week or next week
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:30 pm

cool is the viv ready yet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dylstac
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:34 pm

Naah gonna Set It Up When I Get The Scorp Because I Have To Travel To Get Them. On The Australian Central Coast, There Is Only 1 Sore That Stocks Them So I Will Just Get Them At The Same Time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:36 pm

understand that...... Just take your time and set it up right... make them happy right off the bat...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
dylstac
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:43 pm

Yer.. I dont know whether or not to get a heat mat though
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dracennights
Centruroides

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:46 pm

I would depending on the scorp's you get.... now I have mainly been reading up on emp's so I can't help much on others.... sorry...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dylstac
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   9/13/2010, 10:47 pm

Haha Its cool. Ill ask the pet shop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: picked up two new emps for my tank.......   

Back to top Go down

picked up two new emps for my tank.......
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next