The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Moisture

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JMason19
Hadogenes
JMason19

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-06-03

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/26/2010, 2:36 pm

This weekend I am ordering a V. Spinigerus and H. Arizonensis. I have a 10gal that I have filled up with about 5in of a mixture of sand and something to help with burrowing(not sure what its called, I got it at petsmart) but Ive wet it and packed it down to allow burrowing. Ive had it under two heat lamps, 60wat and 75wat, for the last couple days and I can still see some of the moisture in the sand. If everything goes as planned I should recieve the scorpions by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week. If I keep the heat lamps over it until they arrive, should it be safe to introduce the H. Arizonensis to the habitat? I only ask because Ive heard numerous times that prolonged exposure to moisture can kill this species.
Back to top Go down
joshyoua_rine
Pandinus
joshyoua_rine

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-06-01

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/27/2010, 11:56 pm

just curious ur not planing on keeping V. Spinigerus and H. Arizonensis together are you?
Back to top Go down
JMason19
Hadogenes
JMason19

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/28/2010, 2:07 am

Absolutely not. I guess I shouldve rephrased that question lol
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/29/2010, 4:30 pm

My lamps dry my viv's out quickly, best bet though would be to get some large trays, storage bin lids or storage bins and create as thin of layers of the stuff as possible and leave out to dry. You could also get some pans and try baking the stuff.

Maybe one of the other folks on here could confirm this theory, I'm still pretty noobish myself, but I'd assume that if the top couple inches of substrate is dry and it is a bit more moist towards the bottom, that should still be alright as that's the way it would be in their natural habitat and if it is to moist they don't have to burrow as deep. My V. Spins burrow a lot though and I didn't think they were the burrowing type but they are busy bodies and digging everything up!
Back to top Go down
JMason19
Hadogenes
JMason19

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/29/2010, 7:33 pm

I didnt think V. Spins were much of a burrower. Maybe I should add another couple inches to my V. Spin habitat. I placed my order for 1 H. Arizonensis and 1 V. Spin through tarantulainc. Should arrive Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/29/2010, 7:43 pm

Awesome, enjoy! I keep hearing good things about H. Arizonensis too! I didn't think V. Spins were much either, but mine have been going to town. I thought I lost one until I did a transfer and still couldn't find him. He had burrowed all the way underneath a log, lengthwise and was found at the end which was about 3" down from the surface. It's cool watching them dig stuff up too, they go at it with 6 legs kickin' sand out while standing on their last set lol!
Back to top Go down
JMason19
Hadogenes
JMason19

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/29/2010, 9:30 pm

Thats awesome. Well I just pray my new scorps arrive alive because the last couple days Ive heard quite a few negative reviews on tarantulainc.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/30/2010, 7:40 am

I had heard good things about TarantulaInc too. I hope for your scorps sake that the reviews I've read a little more accurate. Do you have a live guarantee or anything?

Good luck either way, and if you should have any problems I'm batting 2 for 2 at KenTheBugGuy.Com. I've been very pleased so far!

If all is good, post some pictures up, actually if anything isn't good I'd take some pictures too!
Back to top Go down
JMason19
Hadogenes
JMason19

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/30/2010, 8:34 am

Yeah I have the live arrival garentee. I will definitely be posting pictures when I get them whether its good or bad.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/30/2010, 11:50 pm

Awesome, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Back to top Go down
JMason19
Hadogenes
JMason19

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/31/2010, 1:52 am

Well I was expecting them tomorrow but the information on the tracking number I got said it delayed. So If they even make it Michigan tomorrow, I really hope they can make through this extremely humid weather weve been having lately.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty8/31/2010, 2:11 am

I hear you, it is crazy here too. I have been sitting here turning my lamps on and off for some of my scorps. If I kill the lamp the humidity spikes and if I keep the lamp on the temp spikes well over 100! Hopefully, the trucks for yours have AC and the packaging was done in a little cooler. They should be ok though!

When I first ordered online I worked from home that day so I could be here when they came, the 2nd time though I made arrangements to have it sent to the local Fed Ex place and I would pick them up. That ensured that I could get them in the morning or immediately after work and saved them from driving around all day waiting to get to my house. Another shipment that went via USPS I called the local facility and had them hold my package too and I went and picked it up. May want to consider that, might be cooler, and save some time and/or hassle. Just a suggestion.

Stay cool man - pun definitely intended! It's a bear here in Wisco too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Moisture Empty
PostSubject: Re: Moisture   Moisture Empty

Back to top Go down

Moisture
Page 1 of 1